PDA

View Full Version : ME IR Course Structures (50hrs)

Desert Strip Basher
4th Mar 2011, 17:09
There are many different structures, some with 35hrs FNPT II and 15 a/c, others with 20hrs FNPT I and the rest in a/c and it's difficult to gauge which is the better option. What do people consider is the best structure? Is 15hrs real flight enough and if not can it not be effectively supplemented with cheaper SEP IR time as an alternative to the sim or more time in the expensive multi? I guess with the 6hr MEP rating prior to the IR course, 20 odd hours in total is enough to be comfortable handling a multi so surely any further work on instruments is as effective in a single as a multi.

FlyingForFun
4th Mar 2011, 19:54
Desert Strip Basher,

Do not under-estimate sim time.

In the sim, your instructor can make things easy for you as you first learn new skills (e.g. light winds, simple ATC), then make things more difficult as you progress (strong cross-winds different to the forecast, ATC messing you around). You can easily practice something over and over again, e.g. you can practice intercepting an ILS 10 times in half an hour. It would take several hours to get the same practice in the aircraft. You don't get delayed by ATC, you don't have issues booking training slots. It's a fantastic learning environemnt, and my advice would be to go for a course that allows you as much time in the sim as possible. (And that's before you consider that the sim is cheaper, less prone to technical delays, and not subject to weather delays.)

Of course it's not a substitute for "real" flying, and that's why there's a minimum of 15 hours required in the aircraft even when using an FNPT2 for training. In fact, at my school, we reckon that students generally need a minimum of 20 hours in the aircraft, even though the CAA are happy for us to do less. But we don't normally allow students into the aircraft until they understand the whole syllabus, and can basically complete a full test profile at (or at least very nearly at) the required test standard, in the FNPT2.

FFF
----------

(PS - I must declare an interest in the subject, as I'm an instructor at a school which uses an FNPT2. But my advice would be the same regardless.)