PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu password

flynverted
4th Mar 2011, 13:27
G'day
Recently acquired a laptop free of charge, Windows XP Pro, 60G hard drive, 220MB ram, AMD XP-M 2400 CPU. Decided to give Ubuntu a try, downloaded and burned to a cd, then spent a few weeks off and on trying to install it, then after trying again a few days ago I got a warning saying the computer didn't have enough memory to finish installing Ubuntu. Fair enough, added a 1G stick today and finished installing. All went well until I tried to boot, then I was asked for a password. :mad: :ugh: :{ Thought it might want the BIOS password so I tried that but no luck :( I have no idea of what f:mad:g password they want. Spent a few hours gurgling but gurgle wasn't much help this time.
Any ideas of what to try next or should I try to uninstall/reinstall? Thats the only thing I can think of trying next. :(

green granite
4th Mar 2011, 14:16
Normally during the installation process, you should be asked to enter a username and a Password so that you can use the sudo commands, did it not ask you for one?

flynverted
4th Mar 2011, 14:34
Quite possible, GG, if it did I don't remember (possibly alcohol related) :rolleyes: I only have a few passwords I use for various sites and tried 'em all. None worked.. Very well may have inadvertently entered a password when I didn't mean to.

Cloud Chaser
4th Mar 2011, 14:38
Have you tried leaving it blank and just hitting Enter?

flynverted
4th Mar 2011, 14:41
Yep. Gives me the option of trying to sign in again, or sign in as a different user

mixture
4th Mar 2011, 15:04
Google "ubuntu single user mode password recovery" (or "ubuntu password recovery" will probably have the same effect....)

Job done.