PDA

View Full Version : Max. power output on a PT6-66??

GreyWolfCherokee
3rd Mar 2011, 21:12
I am putting together a package for potential investors/sponsors for a world land speed record attempt in a turbine powered motorcycle. I have talked to a few people who seemed to know what they were saying, and I was told that a completely off the wall build w/o afterburning should net me in the neighborhood of 5500-6000 shp. My question is this, is this information correct??

Camp Freddie
3rd Mar 2011, 21:22
PT6A-66 | Pratt & Whitney Canada (http://www.pwc.ca/en/engines/pt6a-66)

It says here 850 shp for the standard engine and 500-2000 in the overview

212man
3rd Mar 2011, 22:07
I would suggest that your contacts don't know as much as they seem to. The suggested power range is totally out, and to even mention afterburners in the same sentence as the PT-6 is a nonsense.

The only turboshaft engines in that power range are either Russian or for aeroplanes e.g. the PW150 for the Dash 8.

GreyWolfCherokee
3rd Mar 2011, 23:49
This engine will NOT be used for an aircraft powerplant. It will, instead, be used in an attempt to break the sound barrier on TWO wheels. Therefore it need not comform to FAA regulations. I spoke to several turbine builders who say, that, theoretically, it can be done. And as for your remark about afterburners and turbines...Yeah it will be a major plumbing nightmare, but, the designers say it can be done. Will it be cheap, relatively speaking? Not hardly. It will in fact double the per unit cost of the engines. Some of you might be asking why does this guy want to go that fast...The answer: Someone will, someday. Might as well be me. Oh, yeah...And I really want to. Anyone out there have any ideas about some kind of fluid coupling for the output shaft of the transmission to link up with the drive shaft on the bike??

krypton_john
3rd Mar 2011, 23:59
I don't get this talk of afterburners. The PT6 is a turboshaft engine, not a jet engine. It is used to turn wheels/propellers/rotors, not to provide jet thrust.

Afterburners only exist on jet engines generating propulsion by jet thrust.

Is this motorcycle ultimately going to be propelled by it's wheels?

ShyTorque
4th Mar 2011, 00:05
If it's going to be powered by a turbine and needs a coupling it must be wheel driven. Therefore a huge problem is going to be finding tyres that could withstand the speed. I don't think such tyres exist.

topendtorque
4th Mar 2011, 06:40
This reminds me of a cartoon / poster which graced our hangar wall for a while back in about 1984 or so featuring the latest big flash whizz bang P & W.

It was in the form of a large gaudy, jet propelled motorbike with none other than Wily Coyote mounted behind the very large handlebars, eyes a-gleamin, jet a-spewing fire and smoke and tongue a slobbering over his lips, with the comment,

"I'll give yer beep beep now ya bastard."

Is that what you're thinking of perchance??
cheers tet

TeenoHeli
4th Mar 2011, 08:08
MTT - Leading Turbine Innovation (http://www.marineturbine.com/motorcycles.asp)

Jay Leno On His Turbine Jet Bike (http://wn.com/Jay_Leno_on_his_turbine_jet_bike)

kinda sounds like the bell 407 I fly ... hmm maybe with snow ingestion :ugh: