PDA

View Full Version : Stand Utilisation

G-BPEE
3rd Mar 2011, 20:24
Hi all

I am interested to find out details of stand/gate utilisation at major EU Hubs. How long does a typical 'Day Stopping' aircraft stay on a terminal gate stand before being towed to a remote stand or hanger area? Also the time scale that the aircraft is repositioned at the gate prior to departure?

e.g. Cathay Pacific arrives early AM, parks on terminal gate, offloads pax, luggage and freight then is towed to a remote parking stand. Then the reversal for departure. Does anyone have exact time scales for this? e.g. 1hour/ 2hours? (I am aware that aircraft size matters, I am really interested in typical long haul flights)

Thanks all http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif
G-BPEE

BOAC4ME
3rd Mar 2011, 23:10
Hi G-BPEE,

The answer to this depends on many factors so different people will have different answers as to their operational experiences, however in the circumstance you describe I would mostly not allocate a contact stand for that Aircraft, and would rather conduct a coaching operation. Towing Aircraft is timely for the Ground Handlers and expensive for the Airlines so I would avoid 2 x unnecessary Tows.

If it was to come in on a contact stand, it would need to be towed off pretty much immediately to free that stand up, and then I would normally suggest that the Aircraft should be back on stand for departure no later than STD-90mins, for Long Haul and larger capacity wide bodied Aircraft possibly STD-120mins.

Then you have the problem of trying to find staff during busy times who can actually do the tow....etc, best bet keep it remote, certainly for the arrival at least.

Hope that helps.

G-BPEE
4th Mar 2011, 15:51
Hi BOAC4ME

Perfect thanks for the reply, exactly the sort of info I was looking for, many thanks and certainly sounds like I found someone with the experience to provide a reliable and operational answer so again many thanks for that! :ok::ok:

Cheers
G-BPEE

spannersatcx
4th Mar 2011, 17:24
lets say the CX251 blocks on at 0500, by 0600 it has been deplaned, decatered etc, would get towed remote, say 30mins, then may be preloaded with fuel whilst remote, cleaned, security checked, maybe even catered and would be towed back to a departing stand at the latest 90mins prior to departure, fuel finished, catering finished, bags and pax loaded and departs as say the CX250 around 1830.

Departing from a remote with a full load will inevitably result in a delayed departure.

This saves the cost of parking on a stand fees of around 9hrs or so, which is far in excess of a couple of tows and a remote parking fee.

G-BPEE
4th Mar 2011, 18:00
Thanks spannersatcx

Another cracking reply, with a wealth of information! Spot on detail there and very useful to me! Thanks :ok::ok:

Peter47
4th Mar 2011, 21:32
Unfortunately most airport websites don't give stands, at least for arriving aircraft.

Flightstats does, but only for US carriers so not much use for European airports I'm afraid.
UK and Global Airport Departures & Arrivals (http://www.flightstats.com/go/FlightStatus/flightStatusByAirport.do)

For Heathrow try lhr-lgw.com - Heathrow Movements (http://www.lhr-lgw.co.uk/heathrow%20main.html)

If you have excel You can download all movements for the airport for a day in one go. Cut & paste into excel, sort by gate and you will be able to see which aircraft stay on stand and which are towed on/off. Bear in mind that times given are for landing & airborne and that a typical taxi in time is 10 mins & taxi out 20+ mins.

As spannersatcx & BOAC4ME have said and aircraft will probably not stay on stand for more than three hours at peak time. Virtually all short haul aircraft will stay on stand as they generally have short turn arounds but many long haul have much longer turnarounds for scheduling reasons, the example of CX has been given.

In my experience it is possible to depart on time from a remote with a full load - if you are lucky - but it is still a hassle and not popular with passengers. In the days when BA operated into T4 it could actually be quicker to be bused in from a remote if a/c were queuing for stands as often happened.

I know that in BAA days aircraft on stand over a certain period at peak times got charged four times the standard rate and for that matter there was a rebate for bused passengers. I'm afraid I'm sure of the current position now. I do know that the Heathrow peak lasts most of the day these days.

BOAC4ME
4th Mar 2011, 22:10
Hey spannersatcx, I think that we agree on remote for arrival and contact for departure, the only thing I would say is that most airports charge for parking regardless of the stand be it remote or contact, also these costs are minimal, ie. Pence per MTOW per hour.

Also, at many major Hubs, which was the premise of the question, a remote stand is often closer to a live taxi way than those on the front, and also less chance of ramp congestion, also often self maneuverable reducing manpower. I suppose to be fair this is one of those scenarios that have endless for's and against's :ok: