PDA

View Full Version : Joint Medical Employment Standards

occhips
3rd Mar 2011, 16:02
Does anyone out there know how the new JMES works? Any help would be appreciated.

occhips
3rd Mar 2011, 16:36
Really Annoyed - if i was on an Air Force Base, i would of course do that:rolleyes:

TY

hippocrates
3rd Mar 2011, 16:39
http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/upload/pdf/br3/br3book/an58g.pdf

The above link should be of interest.

Stuff
3rd Mar 2011, 16:44
Really Annoyed - if i was on an Air Force Base, i would of course do that

I'm fairly sure telephones work even if you aren't on a base.

occhips
3rd Mar 2011, 17:18
TY Hippocrates

Sideshow Bob
3rd Mar 2011, 17:25
occhips,

If you have an Airspace account, the docs are on there. Information/Medical Air Publications

Willard Whyte
3rd Mar 2011, 17:48
'Funny' how when someone asks a perfectly valid question it is met by condescending, patronising and rude responses, yet when someone posts information that is minutely wrong the pedants are out in force to display their oh-so superior knowledge (in an equally tactless way).

ghostnav
3rd Mar 2011, 18:15
WW
Yep - that's what is funny about these threads.

Whenurhappy
7th Mar 2013, 05:41
Hmmm, I've just been downgraded by a civilian medical practitioner because of a small operation almost three years ago - which has had no impact on my fitness to serve or my health in general (and requires no on-going treatment). However, the downgrading will almost inevitiably stop me from taking up my next overseas assignment (we don't 'post' anymore) and will also stop my extension of service that I have just been offered.

Again, like many others, I am no longer on an RAF Station (or indeed, in the UK) so I would welcome advice on whether I can appeal to the Medical Board - on the ground that the downgrading is irrational and is deleterious to my career! And no, I'm not on DII!

Just This Once...
7th Mar 2013, 06:05
I appealed in similar circumstances. Had to go all the way to Henlow for the med board appeal - which was one ex-RAF doc. It took him about 5 mins to dismiss the local med board's assessment and reinstate my full med cat before offering to drive me to lunch.

:ok:

Herc-u-lease
7th Mar 2013, 06:16
Whenurhappy,

AKAIK the CMP can only give a temp downgrade; if it's the chap I dealt with at HWY he can be an arse. Ask for an upgrade or call the bluff and ask for immediate med board. Either way good luck.

H

Fatjoff
7th Mar 2013, 09:27
I have only just gone through the Med Board review process, although I had been advised not to bother as no-one ever wins their case. I had knee problems which resulted in an op on each in successive years, 2008 and 09. In 2010 I was permanently downgraded to L3, unfit running, and given the chance to leave or to continue in sevice if I wished. I chose to continue in service. I did not immediately realise the implications of accepting L3. I continued to achieve fitness standards, using the rockport walk, but would still run without any discomfort, although I confess to steering well clear of the MSFT.

During my fairly recent time in recruitment, I used to chat to the Reserve cell at Cranwell, and they knew of my plan to look for FTRS employment at the end of my career. They advised me that the minimum medical requirement for the Reserves is L2, at which point I instigated my plans to appeal my downgrade. My desire was supported by the docs at Linton (the original advice not to bother came from Cranwell), and also by the Occ Med wg cdr (ironically at Cranwell) who was a former Med Board president. He said I had a great case.

Meantime I have been offered an FTRS post, and have presented a case for me to carry L3. This has been accepted by Command Reserves, after some delay, as long as I carry on passing the RAFFT. I still pursued the upgrade, something to do with personal pride wanted me to be upgraded.

The doc who examined me at Henlow twisted my knees in all directions and put me through a range of tests, and told me that he would recommend to the Board president that I be upgraded. However, the president did not agree. he said that I had already had problems with my knees, and that even though I was fit enough to hold L2 at the moment, it was his duty to ensure that future problems were delayed as long as possible. Therefore no upgrade. Furthermore, he tried to impose a further limitation of exempt fitness test. He was well aware of my circumstances and the possible effects on FTRS employment. I argued with him about the exemption and got him to agree that I be allowed to continue to do the RAFFT doing the RW. He changed the limitation to unfit impact exercise.

Draw your own conclusions from the above, abridged, story. The irony is, I have been putting myself through the Cooper test (the mile and a half run as in IOT days) in lieu of the MSFT and have been consistently achieving dark blue. I am certainly fit enough for active service. I am rather proud of that, considering that I will be 54 in about 2 months. I have my FTRS post secured, at least for the initial contract period. I may find in 4 years time that my L3 will lead Command Reserves to re-advertise. I'll cross that bridge as and when.

Just This Once...
7th Mar 2013, 10:41
I should add, especially in the age of doom and gloom, that the whole med board appeal process was professionally administered in a manner that appeared to put me first, rather than the Service. Having formed a dim view of RAF medical administration over the years it made for a very refreshing change.:ok:

Whenurhappy
8th Mar 2013, 04:12
Thanks for the replies. It good to see that at least in some cases the CMB are a bit more rational.

I've gone through the decode of the JMES I have been (temporarily) awarded and it still doesn't make any sense. I've also contacted the Consultant who saw me three years ago - fortunately a Col late RAMC - who might be able to provide clarity to the MB.

Again, I am fully fit, achieved late last year dark blue standards in the MSFT and have no other health 'issues'.