PDA

View Full Version : Pilots with commercial licence jobless

cyrilroy21
2nd Mar 2011, 16:20
MUMBAI: For two years now, his parents have religiously paid Rs 25,000 EMI on a Rs 30-lakh soft loan, to fund the training program for his commercial pilot licence (CPL). It therefore took a measure of gumption for Nitin Mayekar (name changed) to apply for another loan; this one, for Rs 15 lakh. He was convinced that in the current market, a CPL alone would not land him that coveted airline pilot job. Mayekar had to undergo specialized training on an A320 aircraft. Called type rating, it cost over a million rupees.

Till a few years ago, airlines paid for the type-training program of fresh CPL holders whom they recruited as trainee co-pilots. But with about 4,000 jobless CPL holders such as Mayekar, several penny-pinching airlines now call only jet aircraft type-rated pilots.

"A middle-class family can become really poor with one jobless CPL holder in the family," says Arun Mayekar, Nitin's father. The family took a Rs 30 lakh loan for his flying training in the US. The son returned in 2009 - at a time when airlines were deep in debt. Indian carriers had stopped recruiting trainee co-pilots-that is, fresh CPL holders -and slowed command training of their co-pilots eligible to be promoted to commanders. "I'm sure there are thousands like me who have ended up shouldering the EMI burden as their child could not get an airline job," he says.

Mayekar may be right in surmising so, as sources from the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) say that over the past three years (till October 31, 2010), a total of 4,513 CPL licences were issued (See Box). In contrast, between 2008 and the end of 2010, airlines in India generated only about 200 co-pilot vacancies. What is worse is that only a few airlines such as Jet Airways present any hope to the jobless, fresh CPL holders. "All the other airlines recruit only type-rated pilots. Even Air India put up that criterion in their trainee co-pilot applications last year," says Sharada Pai, a widow whose second son, a qualified engineer, earned a CPL from the US in 2008. "Getting a CPL and a type-rating would mean spending about Rs 40-45 lakh," she adds. Her son is currently employed at a call centre. "My other son has been paying the EMI."

Even to remain jobless, costs CPL holders money. It pays to keep the licence and the instrument ratings current, an annual exercise. That apart, surprises await them during recruitment. Last year, a low-cost airline charged $400 as written entrance exam fee for trainee co-pilot applicants.

At the DGCA's Delhi headquarters-the only place to get an Indian pilot licence- every day, an average of four to five CPL licences are issued. By the weekend, the 10,700th CPL licence would be stamped and issued, says a source.

It would seem that the scenario is not bad for the fledglings if one were to look at the aircraft orders placed. Scheduled passenger airlines in India have about 400 aircraft on order. "If airlines really want cockpit crew for all these aircraft they have ordered, they have to accelerate induction of trainee co-pilots," says Capt Mohan Ranganathan, an air-safety expert. A pilot can fly only 1,000 hours a year. So, to have enough co-pilots and commanders in two to three years, airlines will have to plan its pilot training, he says.

"In every airline, one would find several co-pilots experienced enough to be promoted for command training, but are not... Only if these co-pilots move up, would there be vacancies for the CPL holders." The matter was also taken up by Indian Pilots Guild (IPG), Air India's recognized pilots union. "As a result of stagnation in pilot training, the company has perpetuated an artificial shortage of commanders," says the IPG letter sent to civil aviation minister this week.

Pilots with commercial licence jobless - The Times of India (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/mumbai/Pilots-with-commercial-licence-jobless/articleshow/7550602.cms)

harsh786techy
2nd Mar 2011, 16:47
I think the last few paragraphs are very motivating...

folks...be patient and be passionate about flying...

Flysafe...

vdaff
3rd Mar 2011, 12:18
I am more of less in the same situation. Luckily I dont have any loans to repay But its still getting really hard to be sitting at home unemployed. Recently only I joined a low paying job dont know for how long i am going to be like this. The scoop for a 250 hr pilots like me is virtually zero here in India. If Airlines hire they look for type rated pilots or they ask you to pay. Life is really like a living hell when you shed out 25 laks of your dad's money and now still eating his food.

Dont even know when the daylight is going to come for people like us.

sunset_contrails_10
4th Mar 2011, 05:20
I know exactly what you are talking about. It cost me thirty lac of my Dad's money and I still have no job. I am also forced to sit in the bar at nite spending more of his money on booze and then drive his Mercedes back to my Dad's every nite. I am in pure hell at the injustice of the Indian Aviation Sector. Why Me?????

tarmac
4th Mar 2011, 06:15
It cost me thirty lac of my Dad's money and I still have no job. I am also forced to sit in the bar at nite spending more of his money on booze and then drive his Mercedes back to my Dad's every nite

I am currently employed but ready to exchange with your life anyday..:ok:

nikhilheb
4th Mar 2011, 11:02
Haha

Wait, you ARE joking right?

sunny441
4th Mar 2011, 15:33
I know exactly what you are talking about. It cost me thirty lac of my Dad's money and I still have no job. I am also forced to sit in the bar at nite spending more of his money on booze and then drive his Mercedes back to my Dad's every nite. I am in pure hell at the injustice of the Indian Aviation Sector. Why Me?????

ROTFLMAO!! That should ruffle a few feathers. what the poster means is (atl east I think) for the most part those who undertook the flying - are ones that could afford it. :O

thearsenal
4th Mar 2011, 18:18
honestly hes just mocking him haha. pretty mean but funny nonetheless.

Deep Blue Aviatrix
5th Mar 2011, 16:12
" I know exactly what you are talking about. It cost me thirty lac of my Dad's money and I still have no job. I am also forced to sit in the bar at nite spending more of his money on booze and then drive his Mercedes back to my Dad's every nite. I am in pure hell at the injustice of the Indian Aviation Sector. Why Me????? "

bet your dad's one of the rich foreign airline pilots (like i infer from your original location) or other big guys (not associated with aviation though) who afford it. but like the post mentioned here most of our parents are not, so i don't think it would really be welcomed if you mock those who belong to the majority here :oh:

Deep Blue Aviatrix
5th Mar 2011, 16:33
**These are the excerpts from the Letter to the Minister of Civil Aviation by the Indian Pilots in Air India. I think by reading the letter The Main Reason Blocking the way of Indian Young Pilots Getting into the Airline Industry and The PRIME CAUSE of All OUR MISERIES and that of our Parents, having to face all the troubles Of loans and Family Debt are Pretty Clear & Apparent!**
:mad::mad::mad:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Without Prejudice
Ref No: IPG/
Date: 14 Feb 2011

To,
1. Shri. Vayalar Ravi,
Hon’ble Union Minister of Civil Aviation,
Ministry of Civil Aviation,
New Delhi

2. Shri. Praful Patel,
Hon’ble Union Minister for Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises,
Ministry for Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises,
New Delhi

3. Shri. Mallikarjun Kharge,
Hon’ble Union Minister for Employment and Labour,
Ministry for Employment and Labour,
New Delhi

Subject: Culture of Lawlessness ,Oppression and Mistreatment of Pilots in erstwhile Air India

Sir,

Over the last few months the management......has adopted a hostile and extremely partisan approach towards the pilots.... members of the IPG. The management has repeatedly discriminated against, mistreated...pilots....

The following are instances of the above:

2.Discrimination in payment of Wages:

The company, whilst routinely deferring the payment of monthly dues to Indian employees, citing a liquidity crunch- pays all foreigners, including pilots and senior executives on time, in foreign accounts.

However, all the Indian employees are subsequently paid all their monthly dues on a specific revised date, while the pilots of erstwhile Air India are not. They are only paid a small fraction initially and the remainder is released in small installments over a period of several weeks resulting in hardship and uncertainty.

This discrimination has been occurring on a regular basis. All written representations, made to the management regarding this issue, remain unanswered.

Kindly note, that while all other sections of employees were paid all dues for January 2011, on 14 February 2011, the pilots of erstwhile Air India have only been paid a part of their emoluments. This latest example highlights the partisan attitude of the management officials.

Clearly, a section of the Air India management harbors a bias and ill will against the pilots of erstwhile Air India.

3.Stagnation in training Indian pilots in order to continue the employment of foreign pilots at exorbitantly higher costs:
For the last several years, Air India has justified the recruitment of foreign pilots, who are paid higher and work a lesser number of days, citing a shortage of trained pilots. While these foreign pilots have been employed for over 5 years, the company has not made any efforts to replace them with Indians, by training our own experienced and qualified first officers (co-pilots) as commanders.

In an attempt to expedite pilot training, many senior first officers (copilots) were assigned from Air India to Air India Express- the low cost subsidiary of Air India. However, due to gross mismanagement - especially in the training department, the training of these pilots has come to a virtual standstill. In a number of cases pilots have been on ground in excess of one year- resulting in massive losses to the company.

As a result of this stagnation in training, the company has perpetuated an artificial shortage of commanders (pilots). This is then cited as an excuse for the continued employment of foreign pilots. We strongly suspect some officials have a vested financial interest through the continued employment of foreign pilots - through recruitment agencies based on foreign shores.

It is a cruel irony that while the Indian taxpayers’ money is being sought to bail out Air India and its subsidiaries – foreign pilots are continually given preference over Indians. We have repeatedly highlighted this issue to the management and even suggested a number of remedial measures to expedite training. The management has neither responded to our letters nor taken any cognizance of our inputs.

As a last resort we had also written to the Independent Directors on the Air India Board, citing the financial implication of the stagnation in training of commanders.

It is clear that the management is adopting a hostile attitude towards the IPG and is now resorting to unconstitutional means.

As is evident, we have consistently sought to amicably resolve all these outstanding issues despite the hostile approach of the management which has been completely unresponsive. It appears that the patient, reasoned approach of the IPG has been construed as a weakness.

We thus humbly seek your urgent and immediate intervention to resolve these issues within an acceptable time frame, failing which lawful proceedings calling for strike action will have to be initiated. It will be appreciated that precious human lives, valuable national resources and the very survival of Air India are at stake, while the clock is rapidly ticking away.

Yours truly,

Mr. Jeetendra Awhad,
President

CC: Secretary, Ministry of Civil Aviation
CC: Secretary, Ministry for Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises
CC: Secretary, Ministry of Labour and Employment
CC: Chairman and Managing Director, Air India Ltd
CC: Independent Directors, Members of the Board, Air India Ltd
CC: Director – Personnel, Air India Ltd
CC: Director – Finance, Air India Ltd
CC: Executive Director – Industrial Relations, Air India Ltd
CC: Executive Director – Operations, Air India Ltd
CC: Assistant Labour Commissioner – Central, Mumbai
CC: All IPG Members

drive73
6th Mar 2011, 11:20
Just because you get a degree or licsence doesn't garuntee a job in any country. You must work hard, keep somehow making yourself more marketable and networking with others who may be able to help you. Some of you act like spoiled, entitled brats.

viking320
11th Mar 2011, 02:53
What the F...k wrong with you .You are all complaining that you dont have a job in a Shiny jet like 737,A320.There is allways job out there in the world if you want to fly. get of your ass and go an knock on doors some where in the world .It may not be a nice Shiny Jet .
Sto winching complaining Have a fricking heart to learn more and more i see this **** been put on the net I am so ashamed of you young guys who want everthing handed over in a plate..............
If you want to fly go and find a Job.You have to do that yourself.
get of your ass Instead of wasting your time.....

UpFirst
11th Mar 2011, 03:33
Why has Deep Blue been banned for putting IPG (Indian Pilots Guild's) letter on line.
Is it that this is a rumour channel where no truths/facts are tolerated?