View Full Version : Maycom AR108 sound query

757hopeful
2nd Mar 2011, 15:57
Hi, I have a Maycom scanner. But when using the jack port and listening through ear/headphones, I only get the sound on 1 side.

I also have a jack lead to plug into the Aux port of my radio thus allowing me to plug in mp3/iPhone etc. But when I plug in the scanner it has no sound unless I nigh-on pull the plug all the way out. It only gives sound if it's barely touching the tip of the port on top of the scanner. Which is really impractical while driving as I'd have to hold it there.

Has anyone else found this a problem on theirs? Or does anyone have any suggestions as to what may be wrong and how I could solve it?

Any help appreciated

Thanks

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
2nd Mar 2011, 16:18
I don't know the radio, but are you using the correct plug? If you are using stereo plug but the sound is in mono that may cause problems and vice versa. Otherwise, check the plug to see if a connection is broken.

757hopeful
2nd Mar 2011, 16:38
I was thinking that it may be mono sound and the lead is For stereo sound. Just wanted confirmation lol

Evanelpus
3rd Mar 2011, 09:22
Check the Maycom website, first place I would have looked.

trident3A
3rd Mar 2011, 10:35
I have an Ar108 and it does the same, I think you need to get a mono to stereo jack plug

flyingtincan
3rd Mar 2011, 20:59
The Maycom scanner, and others, produce mono audio from a mono transmission. So the designers in their great wisdom fitted them with mono audio sockets.
However just about any headphone or earpiece that you can buy comes fitted with a stereo plug. (So you can use it with your stereo mp3, radio, DVD etc player).
Therefore you end up with audio in one ear only and maybe other problems.
The solution is a mono to stereo adaptor.
Maplin do one, part number FK14Q.