PDA

View Full Version : FAA ATP questions ?

aerobat
1st Mar 2011, 13:32
I hold a FAA private certificate that is issued on the back of my UK ATPL but I would now like to get a stand alone FAA one.
I was just going to go for private but have been told that with 15,000 hrs on different aircraft I can just take the ATP writtens and flight test to be issued with twin and instrument privelages as well.
So the questions. How does the FAA ATP written and flight test compare to the CAA ATPL? It's many years since I did my licence here and would not want to go through that aggravation again when in reality I only need a VFR single certificate.

B2N2
1st Mar 2011, 15:30
US ATP is one written exam.
You can do free practice tests here:
Pilot Practice Page (http://www.exams4pilots.org)

The practical test is a pretty thorough systems oral on the airplane you bring to the test. This can be a SE fixed gear.

Obviously for the ATP ME a light twin will suffice.

The practical test is for all intent and purposes an Instrumnet checkride.
In all honesty the prep for a VFR checkride will probably cost as much as the prep for an ATP.
Send me a PM if you would like more details.

zondaracer
1st Mar 2011, 15:32
The FAA ATP written takes about two days of studying the questions. The flying test isn't easy but not hard. With your experience you probably only need a couple of lessons to get familiarized with the flight test. I recommend you check out the practical test standards. (PTS)

aerobat
2nd Mar 2011, 08:37
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.