PDA

View Full Version : Chopperline, HeliBiz or PHS

TukTuk BoomBoom
28th Feb 2011, 04:03
Any suggestions on pilot training in OZ
Chopperline Helibiz and PHS all seem to offer the same promise of possible work afterwards. (Obviously its just a possibility of work)
Any one going through their training with these guys at the moment?
And yes i have searched the forum first and read through the aussie pilot training section.
Thanks

Arrrj
28th Feb 2011, 04:23
I trained with Bankstown Helicopters. Lot's of good guys and next door to Heliflite (Australia's Robbie Dealer). No promise of work, but a good place to learn to fly helis. :ok:

Ag-Rotor
28th Feb 2011, 04:30
Pick a school where you can learn to fly in a H300 or B47 and not an R22 is what I reckon should be your plan of attack.

as350nut
28th Feb 2011, 04:48
Had a look at Heliwest at Toowoomba Airport the other day, professional looking setup, possibly a bit more one on one than Chopperline.

Ag-Rotor
28th Feb 2011, 05:11
Try Aerowasp Helicopters at Camden NSW, they have started training on H300

wirestriker
28th Feb 2011, 08:02
Did my initial training with PHS around 10yrs ago with the Big Kahoona (for those that know him) and they are a great set of Pilots and as their name states a very professional company. Wish I had stayed in Oz to carry on flying with them!!

spinwing
28th Feb 2011, 10:04
Mmmm ...

There is also ... 'The Helicopter Group" at Moorabbin/Mentone in Victoria :D

GPS user
28th Feb 2011, 10:53
Mate give Tim Latimer at Ballina a call, really good guy and very experienced, I believe he has good connections with the big operators up north.

TukTuk BoomBoom
28th Feb 2011, 17:48
Thanks for all the replies, good to get some up to date info like that in the rapidly changing aviation scene!

myskyheli
1st Mar 2011, 06:51
Hey TTBB,

Good question, well asked! Funny though how very little responses actually answer your question!

It doesn't matter a damn who has a great "bunch of guys" etc, or what fancy promises are made to you in the flight lounge, or how pretty the website and glossy brochures are. The only single thing that matters is which training organisation will give you the best chance of your first job!

Forget the great list of "previous students" who are now flying in some brilliant role somewhere, all that is their own doing after they have got their critical first few hundreds of hours in the log book. You are about to spend a fortune on one of these operators. Demand to know exactly where they have, and do, employ the lucky graduates straight out of the licence. Then ask for the phone number of these people, and ring them and talk to them. DO NOT BELIEVE THE S**T FED TO YOU AT SIGN UP. If they cannot, or will not give you actual peoples names and numbers, then heed the signs, and go elsewhere. It is the single most critical thing you can do for your career.

Please don't get me wrong though. I am not saying this is the only way to approach your training. I am just answereing your exact question. And I do know that at least one of the crews you mentioned in your heading, can do exactly what you are looking for. Having said that, I know of some brilliant instructors (and schools) that just are not in the position to give guys jobs after they graduate, it's just not their game to have a charter operation on top of their training role. But, again, the all important first job is so imperative that this point alone should help you choose where to spend those $$$.

And just for the record, I didn't do it that way. It just wasn't an option back when I did it all. What I did do though, was take a very long time to select the single operator-instructor who had the best reputation in the country and sweated through his torture knowing his reputation of "scrubbing" people who he didn't think were up to the task. I got through and landed my first job with one of his ex-students just on the reputation of his quality of graduates.

Choose well.

myskyheli
1st Mar 2011, 06:58
....oops, and one other thing;

Not wanting to cause friction, but I would have to dissagree on the H300 and B47 ideas. I trained in the 47 and love the old girl, but they are just too rapidly becoming museum pieces, and the 300's just arne't around in the numbers. I've never even sat in a Robbie of any sort and must say I'm not a great fan, but you cannot ignore the stats, they are just everywhere, and the percentages are heavily weighed in their favor for them being your first paid gig.

(and don't let any slymy car-salesman instructor convince you that a turbine endorsement or sling will help your employment chances!!! Leave all that till you've learn't all the easy to learn mistakes. Plenty of time for that stuff down the track.)

:O

Never in Balance
1st Mar 2011, 07:50
Sorry to disagree myskiheli,
As an ex-student of a training school i would be very disappointedif they gave out me personal details (phone number/email) to a prospective student.
I think it would be better advice to give the operations that take on new fresh pilots a call and ask them if you could speak to some of the newer pilots.

As an instructor i will never give out private information of ex-students.

I have to agree with what myskiheli says about the turbine/sling ratings, wait till you have more hours under your belt.

The H300 is a great trainer and they aren't becoming obsolete like people say, don't let people talk you into training on a R22 because its a lead in machine to the R44. I have seen many/trained many pilots in a H300 that have all gone on to bigger and better things in R44 with no problems at all.

If you only take one piece of advice then make it this one. Go and talk to as many training schools as possible and choose the one you feel most comfortable. You will not only be spending a lot of money at the school, but also a lot of time. So you want to be able to feel like you can come in and hang around and learn as much as you can.

NiB

Pepi1
26th Sep 2011, 06:42
Myskyheli, I am in a similar situation to Tuk Tuk and wanted to know which school you are refering to when you say: "And I do know that at least one of the crews you mentioned in your heading, can do exactly what you are looking for."

If you are not willing to say on the forum, please PM me,

I am fairly certain in my mind who I would like to start my training with, and for me it is going to mean moving interstate and giving up everything I have been working for for the last 5-6 years to completly change careers and follow my dreams, which I am confident will be totally worth it.
However like Tuk Tuk am interested to hear others opinions and exeriences, also BTW, who did you do your training through?

Cheers
Pepi

PO dust devil
27th Sep 2011, 14:39
YOU GUYS ARE FUNNY you crack me up.....

I'll buy the first round seeing as no one else offered.

I did my licence at PHS - My son did his licence with THG both at Moorabbin a long time apart. We both got work straight out of training - I had no experience and no talent and started at the top.

Both place are running businesses and you need to be perceptive when it comes to parting with your $$$$$. Settle ALL details up front and be cheeky about what you're going to expect. I have heard some places will take $$ up front and keep reskedding your flights to fill empty holes in their programs.....do it at your time and pace agreed in advance very clearly.

It is about your attitude and knocking on doors. Most places will give you a good standard of training, so you just have to make yourself available and employable..... Turning up at someone's office looking like ANY of the guys from "slipknot" (but especially the drummer) is sure to end in tears. Same if you have no interest in traveling for the work. "Oh - I don't know" is not an answer and "I'm single and there doesn't seem much to do there", I have heard when employing as well.:ugh:

As for the better schools....knock on the door or pick up the phone, get a feel for where your cash is going and judge the substance. Gawd, even when people buy drugs they check the dealer and the product. At least with a syllabus there's some hope you'll be able to hover.

For what it's worth the Gold coast is nice Caloundra the same, in case you aren't familiar with the area.

Good luck.
DD