PDA

View Full Version : FTE Jerez (Merged 2010 onwards)

PGSingularity
30th Jun 2010, 08:40
I'm pretty sure that's a £ sign..

pitot_noob
16th Jul 2010, 01:03
I can't speak for FTE itself, but at the school I went to, it all depended.
Some were the rich kids (nice guys mostly) who had the money through family, some had earned the money over years and some had huge loans.

The point is, the other activities all depended on the individual and how much money they thought they could justify.

pitot_noob
16th Jul 2010, 12:24
I couldn't comment.
I had to pay for everything at the school I attended.

netlordr23
22nd Jul 2010, 12:25
Does anyone know if the 738 sim is full motion. And any remarks about their MCC course?

nickyboy007
22nd Jul 2010, 12:54
Netlord, the 737 sim is not full motion.

netlordr23
22nd Jul 2010, 15:51
Thanks Nicky.
Have you done the MCC course with them?

nickyboy007
22nd Jul 2010, 15:53
Hi Netlord,

No i just happened to visit FTE last week.

Nick

netlordr23
22nd Jul 2010, 16:14
Thanks again.
If someone who is doing or has done the MCC with FTE please let me know what you think of your experience, there must be a few out there...
Thanks

welliewanger
21st Aug 2010, 11:28
Hi,
I saw you're looking for info on FTE. I graduated 4 years ago, so my info may be out of date, but maybe I can help?

Regards,
WW

BigDoris
22nd Aug 2010, 21:10
Brilliant location, brilliant atmosphre and brilliant instruction on the ground and in the air.

However, the downside is, once you leave the place, you become a number and are forgotten about. This is something myself and many former students take issue with. Compare this with some Oxford student friends of mine and they are certainly in a far better position post-graduation if you ask me.

Unfortunately FTE does not have the resources (or perhaps inclination) to provide a decent 'after-sales' service and at the moment they are obviously concentrating on a few middle-east contracts which, hopefully previous students can at some point benefit from.

As said, for £100k I'd expect far better support post-graduation. That said, I guess I'm just naiive.

PGSingularity
8th Oct 2010, 16:46
Anyone starting on the October course(next week)?

ant152
29th Nov 2010, 21:11
Hi all..

Just thought I'd let you know I'm a student here at FTE about 70% of the way through the integrated course, and have written a blog week on week as to what its like and the whole experience as a whole from the perspective of the student with no influence of the school itself. Theres pictures, terribly cringeworthy video's as well as polls and various other bits and pieces to try and make out the experience as detailed as possible..

The Flight Training Europe Experience (http://theflyingpiano.wordpress.com)

If anybody has any questions about the school or the course leave a comment or send me an email and will be happy to help

Moises
1st Dec 2010, 18:58
Hi everyone !
I want to become pilot and do my training in FTE. As you know there are some tests a future student needs to pass to get into the school.
Could please someone tell me where can I find a big book or a free web site with many examples of questions like the one they give us during the tests ( Numerical one ), where we need to calculate altitudes, speed, fuel ... and another one for the Verbal reasoning.
I actually already bought " How to win at aptitude tests " but i'ts not enough.
I really want to pass that test because I don't want to study in another school, FTE is the only one I want.
So, if anyone can help me with this I will really appreciate it !!! :ok:

Gleavage
7th Dec 2010, 03:52
Going for my aptitude testing in March, hoping to start in May. Anyone else doing the same?

Chael
19th Dec 2010, 13:57
Samh31 - Initial JAR Class 1 (Professional Pilot) Medical Examination | Medical | Safety Regulation (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=49&pagetype=90&pageid=527)

Yes I think you should get it first because if you don't get it, it becomes irrelevant if you pass the assessment or not.

Samh31
19th Dec 2010, 15:35
Thanks for your reply

Thats what i was thinking but wasn't to sure, but then again even if i dont get into FTE i will need my class one for all the others anyway

Thanks again :ok:

Sam

Hallifer
12th Jan 2011, 01:00
I'm not starting in October or May....... But February, anyone out there doing the same? I've never been to FTE, Jerez or southern Spain as a matter of fact. But hey it all looks great and I can't wait to start! Not wanting to sound like a complete idiot but what's the work load like? Do you get holidays? any info is good info since I'm going in completely blind!

Please post if you are also joining in February and for anyone else who's joining later I'll try my best to stay on PPrune and help you out when you get there :)

Hallifer
12th Jan 2011, 01:10
ANT152 - Your blog is what I've been looking for!

And this goes too anybody out there - is it worth taking a car?

Rithalic
13th Jan 2011, 01:59
i would say, if you can afford the insurance and whatnot then yeah definately.
makes life a hell of a lot easier and getting out of campus regularly will keep you sane (well kinda anyways) plus petrol is cheap as chips down in gibraltar, as is alcohol and smokes if you're that way orientated.

there is a minibus for the use of the students though at reasonable rates and there are a few bikes kicking around the place.

do keep in mind though that the roads are full of spanish drivers which are the equivalent of 80'yr old blind people who have drunk a bottle of whiskey and are on the phone whilst fiddling with the stereo and putting on their makeup.

Hallifer
14th Jan 2011, 04:25
haha, fantastic post and thank you for the info! So I'm guessing from the cheap booze in Gibraltar, anyone who does have a car is more likely to blend in with Spanish driving habits on their drive back to campus? :)

Sounds like a challenge and I think I'll take a car, as much as I want to enjoy FTE, I hear the course can be rough on the mind and a getaway vehicle could be worth having.

stinsy
12th Feb 2011, 05:09
Hey there,
I am just wondering if everyone uses the schools accommodations or is it possible to go out and get your own place and just show up to the school every morning?
I have a friend who lives in the area and I could save a chunk of change staying there.
Thanks for the help

Andulucia2011
13th Feb 2011, 11:52
FTE is excellent. When you come to MCC/JOC again they are first rate except you have to avoid one gentleman (?) who has been round there for far too long and can stop your career dead (he almost did mine) ... problem is he does´nt understand that he too should use CRM an set an example. Angry Santa is a very apt description!!!!!! :ugh:

BUGS/BEARINGS/BOXES
15th Feb 2011, 15:58
Train hard, fight easy! It is that way for a reason. A very good FTO. Got me where I wanted, had a great time. And no that wasn't in the hotel club up the road! :}

Rithalic
15th Feb 2011, 19:49
Stinsy-

I'm pretty confident that if you're going to be part of an integrated course then they will insist that you live on campus for the duration. However it never hurt asking so get in touch with the admin team (details are on the website) or failing that pm me and i'll head over to admin and ask for you.

If you were to go modular for your flight training though then lots of people live offsite and just come in for their flights. either way living on campus is ok, mainly because the bar is so close by!

just about to leave here now after nearly 15 months and would highly recommend the school. the training is great and have recieved fantastic instruction since day one so definately give fte a shot.

good luck mate.

stinsy
16th Feb 2011, 16:58
Thanks Rithalic,

I guess what I'm wondering is if it's feasible to stay outside of the school. Is there a set schedule for classes and flights, or do they just sort of ring you at your room when there's a spot?
I'm sure I could make use of that bar either way!!

El khoury
16th Feb 2011, 23:18
is it true that the price will increase from May 2011 and onwards? and why?

the current all-inclusive price is ₤81,000...

stinsy
16th Feb 2011, 23:45
All very helpful, thank you.

I'm interested in the school, and I've contacted them concerning this accommodation stuff and they told me that they in fact do not allow integrated student to stay outside.

I know the program is intensive, but do those of you who have done/doing it think you would have fared ok on your own?

I'm just not used to the kind of living where I'm taken care of and fed and all that. I know it may be weird to some of you, but I kind've enjoy making my own dinner...

Anyway this will be the biggest factor affecting my decision about Jerez knowing it's indeed a very good school.

time4parties
17th Feb 2011, 21:34
Having completed the course I would say it would probably be too much to stay on your own. The course really does get quite intense and you mind find it too much to go home after a day in ground school and have to cook etc! Not only that - living on campus helps. Being able to pop round to your mates room for some help is invaluable. You also wont be able to make full use of the bar if you have to then drive home :ok:

Hope this helps. PM me if you have any questions.

Rithalic
17th Feb 2011, 23:22
el khoury - i cant speak in any official terms but i have noticed the average size of the courses increasing over the last year or so. my guess would be that as there is more demand, they may feel they can increase the price. plus fuel prices are on the increase so.....? but that is pure speculation so who knows.

stinsy - i understand where you are coming from but i agree with time4 wholeheartedley, after a long ass day in ground school your brain is pretty fried and its all you can do to stumble over to the canteen to eat and then relax for an hour or so before you will need to hit the books for a while. one of the main reasons i chose this school was that everything was on site, it was all paid for and i knew i'd be able to just concentrate on studying once i was here. its a personal thing but being around other students 24/7 does force you to work more than if you were on your own i think. i for one will happily say that i wouldnt have done as well as i have if it hadn't have been for being around my coursemates and having supported each other throughout.

ultimately it is your decision but i will say this, its a great school, with genuinely sound people throughout. im leaving on sun after 15 months here and have enjoyed my sentence!....unemployment awaits (albeit temporarily i hope)
good luck with it all.

Rithalic
21st Feb 2011, 15:34
yeh, study some maths and physics (gcse jazz) and have a look at some verbal reasoning questions as well.

as for the interview, if its with colin then just give as much abuse as you get and you should be fine! but generally be confident and be yourself.

enjoy it, spend some time at the bar with the students and good luck man!

Samh31
6th Mar 2011, 11:54
Hey people

I have to go to fte on the 21st for some test and interviews and stuff. Im very nervous and im just wondering if anyone has any tips about the tests and interview :)

stinsy
23rd Mar 2011, 23:54
Hey all,
I will be going to Jerez to do the aptitude tests and interview. I had a hard time finding information in all the merged threads that wasn't out of date...

Anyway, could any of you give me insight into what to expect?
Are there any good sample tests that are useful in preparation? (books, websites,...)

Thank you kindly.

El khoury
9th Jul 2011, 00:07
i'm starting on 29th july!

anyone else starting on that course too?

gb482
22nd Aug 2011, 19:01
hi can anyone please tell me if i can buy studdy books for the aptitude test
any help will be greatful

Fer_
19th Nov 2011, 00:46
Ant152!! Your blog is awesome, very interesting stuff.
Thanks for the time and effort

spainflyer1
26th Nov 2011, 12:07
the biggest issue fo the test is ,if you will be able to write a cheque for the very high costs of the integrate course.
if you can do that you are fully qualified to join the high spenders to be parked away from real life on an campus 15km out of the town. youcan get local nice flats for 300 euros / month
get real, go mudular save money use that money to get more hours hence qualification (type ratings) etc
and enjoy life as an independent person

have fun

cormac harte
13th Dec 2011, 22:35
Hey just saw your post there about the aptitude tests1 Im hopeing to start the aptl course at FTE next september and of course iv being told about these tests!! I am wondering how did you get on were they hard? And what books did you study, and what physics books did you study because i have only done physics very briefly and need to learn more before i do my aptitude tests. How many tests were there? Sorry for all the questions im just trying to find out what i need to know before i go over here!

paulslats
16th Dec 2011, 16:22
hey guys,
I have been hearing some pritty bad feedback as regards FTE and how their standards are slipping,was due to head over for an apptitude test in a few weeks,has any1 heard anything??
Strongly considering OAA now as seems a touch better, can any1 post me there opinion on FTE VERSUS OAA or any comment on either.would be very greatful.

time4parties
16th Dec 2011, 21:04
Yes you can go modular and save money - but airlines don't regularly employ modular people and only take from integrated courses - especially in the current economic climate. You spend a bit more money on an integrated course but you get a better standard of training and you are more likely to get a job... which saves you money in the long run!

mrmum
17th Dec 2011, 19:00
airlines don't regularly employ modular people and only take from integrated courses
Really! :eek:

CATS Support
18th Dec 2011, 09:52
...but you get a better standard of training...

Really!

Mickey Kaye
18th Dec 2011, 10:27
time4parties

You really have attended one to many CTC roadshows

time4parties
18th Dec 2011, 12:36
Well seeing as I got a job flying jets within 4 months of leaving FTE then yes, I do believe in what I have said...

paulslats
18th Dec 2011, 14:53
i can say from speaking to an Aer Lingus recruitment officer and captain that their view when looking through cv s is that the integrated option is a more favourable advantage and preferable. I have great respect for people however who can hold down a job and train at the same time, there is no way id be able to, guess im just not that smart ha!:)

Groundloop
19th Dec 2011, 08:40
the integrated option is a more favourable advantage and preferable. I have great respect for people however who can hold down a job and train at the same time,

You don't have to hold down another job to go modular. It's not a requirement when enrolling on a modular course:ok:

Some people go modular just because they want to spend 20-30K less!

smith
19th Dec 2011, 12:24
Is it busy out at FTE now?

When do the BA FPP cadets start? Will there still be spaces on courses for self sponsored guys and gals once BA FPP starts?

paulslats
20th Dec 2011, 20:31
anyone know of anything on the internet or any software to help practice for the pilapt tests, have seen small bits advertised on the internet but am doubtful as to how accurate they are!

imran_x66
29th Jan 2012, 01:21
Hi everyone, I am looking into going for pilot training and is quite interested in FTEJerez. However, I do not qualify for their anyone of their airline programme as I do not meet the citizenship requirement they have. I want to go on with my self sponsored training. But I am afraid that find an employment would be difficult If i an not mentored/sponsored by an airline.
So If I go on with my training with FTE, what are the chances of getting an employment on completion of my training. Does FTE help its student to find a Job?

kylev
6th Feb 2012, 19:27
I've just been out to FTE to meet them regarding the integrated course. They are quite busy, not possible to get on a course in the next few months, a slight waiting list probably due to the BA guys. They have said that they will help to find you a job (by recommending you to airlines - conditional on you doing very well with your ATPL exams, first time, good passes.

Any comments on this from people who have been at FTE through the self sponsored route? Where have you ended up?

Thanks

flyergirl1985
9th Feb 2012, 17:27
hey guys,
I have been hearing some pritty bad feedback as regards FTE and how their standards are slipping,was due to head over for an apptitude test in a few weeks,has any1 heard anything??

I have heard the same things from some of my friends who are there.

They said lots of the best groundschool instructors walked out including the standards manager over some dispute and that now FTE are left with part-time contractors, so lots of students are failing and the ones that are passing are using Bristol Groundschool online!! They also said a lot of the flying instructors are now leaving as well because the aircraft are falling apart with frequent cancellations and everyone is having to work crazy hours with students flying 6 days a week up until 11pm. They also said most students are there at least a month longer than they should be because of flying delays and that FTE try charging them for it saying it is their fault! :eek:

It doesn't sound good to me, I am still looking at FTE but may choose OAA or CTC instead because I don't want to complete the course with a school that is getting a bad name. :sad:

Has anyone else heard about these recent things?

Scott Duch
9th Feb 2012, 18:35
I recently attended the Flybe/FTE MPL scheme. It was the phase 3 component which is essentially FTE's standard selection process - 4 written tests, PILAPT and interview.

Unfortunately, I wasn't picked by Flybe to attend the final phase but got an offer from FTE to join them on their self-funded ATPL course as I passed all the components of selection and deemed 'low risk' for training (that's what the lady said the top category was on the day).

Having done research for many years, I understand that CTC has pilots going through flexi-crew and OAA has Parc Aviation which place many pilots. What is FTE's current record in placing self-sponsored students? I see they have a respectable number of partner airlines but many of them select their own cadets, send them to FTE and then take them back after training is completed. Examples are Aer Lingus (got the last stage for the 2011 cadet scheme. Their cadets go through FTE) and Flybe is another.

I'm in my 3rd year of an AeroEng degree so I still have plenty time on my side before I did anything like this.

If anyone has any information on FTE's placement record it would be very handy, can't seem to find any on their website.

student88
9th Feb 2012, 20:48
A 'contact' of mine works at FTE. He/she said that the new management are not doing the place justice. The exact phrase was along the lines of them running the place into the ground. Lots of instructors are leaving, some of which have been there for donkeys years.

Simple things such as free tea and coffee for the students have disappeared and the most important thing, the price of the beer, has gone through the roof!

It's a shame because FTE has the potential to be a truly fantastic school, fingers crossed the new management don't do the place too much damage. If you have unhappy instructors you have unhappy students, and the most important thing (the quality of training) becomes compromised.

S88

Waldo
9th Feb 2012, 21:06
As a self sponsored student at FTE you are on your own in finding a job. FTE MAY recommend you to an airline IF they have any vacancies but that is it. They will only help you once and then you are left on your own. No amount of emails/telephone calls will get them to help you again. I don't know the figures for placements but I know for a fact that some self sponsored students from over three years ago still don't have a flying job and of those that do have jobs not many came through FTE.

Sky Scratcher
9th Feb 2012, 21:48
Interesting regarding the amount of instructors leaving as the latest edition of 'Flight International' has vacancies posted for both FI's and GI's.

Jaisalmer
14th Feb 2012, 13:44
Hi chaps,

I am interested to hear from current FTE students or indeed graduates with regard to the living costs you experienced during your time in Jerez.

I understand that accommodation and full board catering is included in the initial cost.

So, as far a budgeting goes what did you find yourself spending each week/month and on what?

Many many thanks.

fedupinjerez
14th Feb 2012, 20:19
flyergirl

What you say is true and it is getting worse by the day. Ground School is falling apart. The Managing Director does not seem to understand and the Head of Training will not listen to anyone.
Flying keeps going because the top few Instructors are brilliant and really do care, but they get no thanks and lots of hassle from everyone. And yes, I do know, I am in my room now studying Bristol Ground School. The MD's solution is to charge his staff for coffee! :ugh::ugh::ugh:

chrisbl
14th Feb 2012, 20:34
Some of the difficulties regarding the training are down to the airport in Jerez and ATC in the form of Seville Approach.

They dont like to handle more than one IFR training flight at a time so one can wait several hours to do a detail.

I was at another school in Jerez waiting to do a test and engine start was delayed nearly 5 hours as engine start was not allowed until a preceding IFR tarining aircraft had landed.

So anyone going to Jerez would we well prepared to ask questions about about this sort of hassle. It throws training schedules out and I would not be surprised if extra time is needed to complete the flying part of the course.

As to anything else going on in FTE I cannot comment.

stevef
15th Feb 2012, 21:07
Re post #56 and 'the aircraft are falling apart':
I'd be very surprised if this so. When I worked in the hangar there, the aircraft were over-maintained, if anything, with tyres/brakes/sparkplugs etc being replaced long before they were due. The certifying staff always kept the standards at a high level and I never saw any consistent unreliability with fleet aircraft in the two years I was there.

It would be interesting to hear what constitutes 'aircraft falling apart' as opposed to the occasional unserviceability that is bound to happen during heavy utilisation.

Sagit89
21st Feb 2012, 17:51
Hey guys,

After readin all these, just made me scared:} is it actually getting that bad that students can't pass exams on first try? Isn't failing the first try=no first job? Which, obviously leads to no airline job ever.

I am booked to have the last interview with them quite soon, but now that made me worried and look again on the opportunities of OAA (people who finished it reviewed it badly) and CTC.

Jerez bought me with the fact that Ground School is taught by permanently assigned teachers who are concentrated on teaching only their topic and with the fact that they use only 2 students per instructor for flights, also with the everything in one location fact.

Is it getting that bad there that the first two things disapeared?

Also I was explained that FTE are trying to get you into your first job, along with amazing (as review) preparation for the simulator assessment and CV help. If you were one of the best they put you in front of the queue for the available jobs, this is what I heard, will ask them more during the interview.

So any more comments on FTE?

L0wFly3r
25th Feb 2012, 08:37
Also doing the aptitude tests at FTE, you now have to pay to stay on campus. Where as before you only really had to pay for your flights to and from Jerez. :ouch:

Sagit89
25th Feb 2012, 11:35
Half a year ago when I had my first stage of tests they warned me that I will need to pay myself, I think 100 euro with food for 2 days is quite a good deal considering the hotel prices, as example, in UK.

paulslats
1st Mar 2012, 18:49
Can anyone especially present FTE students please give me some essential advice.Are things at the school as bad as alot of people are saying.I am due to go over for an entrance exam but dont know anymore.
For a little more OAA seems to be a better option??They posted over 200 pilot placements for last year and in the current climate that aint bad.Fte havent revealed their placement record.
I have worked so hard for the last few years to enable me to fullfill my dream so all advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Aer lingus, Flybe etc continue to use FTE, I wonder will they continue after all the bad press.

ftestudent
1st Mar 2012, 21:46
As an FTE student I can honestly tell you that what your reading shows no justice, part of which is true and the remainder being totally false. Yes it's true some of the ground school instructors have left but that's what happens in life when people want to move on. Regarding students failing there exams has nothing to with the instructors leaving. Students fail exams because of a lack of studying and being too complacent thinking they will get through. It's hard work and without any effort it's difficult to pass. Prices on campus have risen recently and they are charging for tea and coffee, which in my opinion I have seen a positive outcome with new aircraft beginning to arrive. Now to the flight instructors, Fi's will leave when they see an opportunity viable to the future. It's just like when you get your first job, just because your working now does not necessarily mean your going to stay with them forever but you will look to move in the future for a better lifestyle and mostly money. All in all FTE has a lot of credibility and false posts give the school a bad image. If you have any further questions or queries feel free to post a message. :)

Happyinjerez
2nd Mar 2012, 14:16
Hi Paul, i can assure you that FTE is nowhere near as bad as fedupinjerez is suggesting. The school is growing at a very rapid rate with more and more sponsored students from what seems new airlines every couple of months coupled with self sponsored students numbers increasing too, that is surely a good sign in itself? That along with the fact that most of us are getting very good groundschool (above 90%) and flying grades with the guys that are struggling getting all of the support that they need from more than willing instructors.

It is true that quite a few exceptionally good groundschool instructors have left recently but they have all been here over 5 years and it the cascade effect when one decided to leave, a few more decided that it was time and followed suit. The school is currently trying to replace them but its a mammoth task trying to replace such experienced staff so they are having to bring in new instructors who take some time to be trained up and bed in and when they are, they are constantly being judged against the ones that have left.

On the flying side, i agree with Fedup in that the staff are brilliant and the management are bringing in new aircraft to deal with previous problems with massive backlogs, mainly due to a very wet and unflyable winter last year and also preempting the increased demand, thus why the school is looking for more staff too. Id also like to point out that the aircraft are very reliable with the only problems tending to be very minor with the engineers always on hand to sort them out as soon as possible. Am i right Fedupinjerez that you havent actually started flying yet? so are depressed in you room doing 4 months of groundschool so desperate to fly and like to take it out on the school because of that? On the down side, the controllers are usually the problem as chris says, with only 2 aircraft in the circuit allowed at any 1 time and seville approach also very limiting on IFR flights. As for the actual flying schedule atm, it's relatively clear so if you do have problems with atc, there is enough space to rearrange it within a decent time frame but its still frustrating sometimes.

Although i dont necessarily agree with the charging of the coffee (understandable to reduce costs, the importance unfortunately shown by cabair recently, and im not saying that not serving free tea, coffee and toast is a magic solution, just an easy few bob saved!) and the increase in price of drinks (20% on everything apart from draught beer at happy hour which has risen from 60cents to 1euro 20) its still very cheap and 60cents for a beer? that's just ludicrously cheap! This is just keeping up to date with increasing costs of drinks. Even with this, the bar is buzzing on friday nights especially with people always in there during the week.

Sorry paul, i cant really help you with facts and figures about how many students have got jobs through FTE in the past year but i know plenty of past students with jobs already. I would definitely recommend FTE to anybody who was interested in it. Theres nothing better than being able to take a break from studying by laying by the pool with a very cold drink while the temperature is 35degrees plus! Hope this has helped

paulslats
4th Mar 2012, 16:40
Thanks guys for getting back to me.Still concerns me to hear that students are having to study bristol ground school notation at present.For the best part of 100,000 euro you should expect the best of everything.

Is there many students failing at present?And if you are delayed in your training due to no fault of your own ie. having to wait for available aircraft etc, then who picks up the tab for your extra time needed at FTE.

veetwo
4th Mar 2012, 17:20
Does anyone else think its a rather large co-incidence that "ftestudent" and "happyinjerez" both have a single post to their names, having joined in the last 4 days? I rather suspect the school management have decided to intervene in this debate. That's fine but lets call a spade a spade shall we?

Setting that aside for a moment, when I was a student at Jerez (many years ago) it was a fantastic place to be. Fab location, fab weather, fab instructors for the most part and I never had a problem with the engineering, reliability was good.

However, none of the above is even slightly important. The ONLY thing that matters is this: where will the job come from at the end of the training? If you are considering self sponsoring an ATPL course you should absolutely INSIST on seeing the statistics for the last year ... in other words, where have self sponsored cadets found work? It is entirely irrelevant that sponsored training is ongoing since this will not help you in the slightest if you are self-sponsored. You can have the best time of your life out there for 18 months, but it will pale into insignificance if you can't find a job at the end of it.

FTE used to have very good links to the airlines. Setting aside those going through a sponsored course, I'd be very interested to know which airlines FTE now recommends self-sponsored students to, and to what effect. Airlines that used to accept recommendations but longer do include British Airways, Thompson and GB Airways (no longer exists) amongst others.

I suspect you may still stand a chance with Flybe or Aer Lingus. You can, of course, apply to Ryanair but do not confuse that with FTE helping you out. A ryanair application is entirely of your own making and will cost you another £30k for a type rating etc.

If you're a sponsored student, you've got nothing to worry about (except passing of course) - enjoy the sunshine and the cheap beer. If you're self sponsored, make sure you know whats waiting for you at the end.

Sagit89
4th Mar 2012, 20:14
Absolutely agree with veetwo about the suspicion raised by the two posts. And also as veetwo said it is very important to get the statistics from them for the last year and if they hesitate to provide them, it should be enough to reconsider the option of studying there and apply for something like OAA.

As I see FTEJerez is becoming now the school for sponsored students (at least now, since there are not many sponsorships going on at the moment) and it raises doubts in me about wether to choose this school. Although at our University we had presentation whereas they mensioned that they have a queue of students to whom they are trying to provide a job. Also I received some positive response from FTEJerez grads, although they graduated years ago.

What I am doing and would suggest you to do is to go there and after finishing the assessment successfully ask them as many questions as you can accenting on the self-sponsored students employment.

'I' in the sky
6th Mar 2012, 07:25
" Does anyone else think its a rather large co-incidence that "ftestudent" and "happyinjerez" both have a single post to their names.......... "

Flyergirl1985 has two posts and fedupinjerez has one, so what ?

PrestonPilot
6th Mar 2012, 08:41
I have a friend from uni who went to FTE, and he told me now that he has finished he literally has no contact with them anymore. They do not help you get a job. The 1 interview he got was Ryanair I think and didn't get it, so now doesn't really have any other options for airlines right now with £1000 a month to pay off for 7 years.

edit: i should say that the Ryanair interview was gotten off his own back, as I said they don't even try to get you a job. They are just an FTO, you get your licences with them and that's it. Nothing wrong with that, just not an option I would take.

veetwo
6th Mar 2012, 11:11
I in the sky..

I think the majority of people will think it is slightly strange, that's all I'm pointing out. It looks like someone saw the thread and panicked. But then I've always been a cynic, I could be wrong.

FTE in 2012 strikes me as a place which is fantastic for sponsored students who have already passed an airline selection. I'd heartily recommend it for people in this camp as it's a great place to study. It is popular with the airlines too. BA, Qatar, EK, MEA and Aer Lingus are all sending their cadets there.

However as I said before, that is completely irrelevant if you join FTE as an untagged, self-sponsored student. What would be useful is if someone in the know posted the actual stats on the number of self-sponsored students who have found employment in the last year, together with the total number who trained. This used to be the kind of information that FTO's would scream from the rooftops to attract new business. The fact FTE isn't sharing that information anymore strikes me as ominous.

Lakhan
6th Mar 2012, 13:00
Hmm..

I'm also thinking of going to FTE this year but I'm still not sure. The price and accommodation, everything is supplied for a cheaper price then compared to OAA and CTC.

However, I would like to know how many FTE grads go and get a job...
CTC is slowly creeping on me as I now feel job opportunities are much higher in getting a job than compared to FTE.

Someone help me decide....:{

PrestonPilot
6th Mar 2012, 15:19
veetwo, did you read what i posted above?
They don't help you find a job.....so there is no need for them to talk about this information. Any jobs the people have found has been from their own back, but everyone knows that there isn't really any airline hiring people straight from an integrated school unless you are on a scheme like you said or you are at CTC.

veetwo
6th Mar 2012, 15:53
Preston.

You know that and I know that. My point was to highlight it to anyone reading this thread who is considering starting training at FTE. Doubtless the school itself will have told them, "Oh yes, we'll certainly help you get a job at the end of your training". Its worthwhile pointing out that these days that is a largely meaningless statement.

We're both making the same point... so lets move on.

Sagit89
6th Mar 2012, 18:43
The fact is that in their brochure they stated that they help graduates with the job search. And since you stated that they don't keep contacts with you after graduation that's quite a shame.

vrb03kt
6th Mar 2012, 22:58
FTE in 2012 strikes me as a place which is fantastic for sponsored students who have already passed an airline selection. I'd heartily recommend it for people in this camp as it's a great place to study. It is popular with the airlines too. BA, Qatar, EK, MEA and Aer Lingus are all sending their cadets there.

I have to agree with veetwo. FTE is a good school but I wouldn't want to be paying £87,000 as a self-sponsored student relying on a recommendation system (which appeared very easy to fall foul of) to get a job. I know of self-sponsored folks fairly recently who were placed with Aer Lingus and BA Cityflyer after leaving Jerez. However, they were in a minority of students. Many had to go down the Ryanair route, sure it's a flying job, but it cost an extra circa £30,000 on top of the training costs!

I just can't quite fathom why anyone would now decide to undertake self-sponsored training knowing that in order to get a job they may have to spend at least £117,000 to become a contractor in a random European base with no fixed salary and no security. I can assure you that the loan repayments are fixed and have to be paid regardless of how many hours you flew that month. (On that note, I wouldn't be handing over large amounts of money to CTC to become an easyjet flexicrew contractor either)

That all of course assumes that you managed to get a first flying job and were not cast by the wayside after leaving flying school.

paulslats
21st Mar 2012, 19:28
evening all,
Is there any more updates on FTE has anyone heard regarding their staff crisis and quality decline in training??
Appreciate any present students that could shed some light,feel free to pm me if you prefer.

captain.weird
23rd Mar 2012, 07:44
Themerve, did you find employment? So yes, how long after your grad?

Lakhan
23rd Mar 2012, 16:40
Interesting,

Even though many airlines come to FTE for cadets, where do the non sponsored cadets go?

I've seen some posts where people are saying that FTE don't even contact you when you've finished training, or help you in that matter.

I really want to join FTE because I just love the idea that you train in one place and all services are given. Less hassle for the cadet.

And even though CTC have their cadet scheme, all I see is every graduate going onto EJ flexicrew.

I don't know. :ugh:

I'm also interested themerve if you are currently employed into an airline?

BerksFlyer
23rd Mar 2012, 17:27
Lakhan,

Why dont you just wait for a tagged scheme to come up and then apply for it?

paulslats
23rd Mar 2012, 21:02
How long after you graduated did you obtain employment,and with who if you dont mind me asking.you have given a very honest account of FTE so thanks for that, but as you said,they are there to train you and thats what they do,although for 100 000 euro a little help regarding employment would be good.

Sagit89
4th Apr 2012, 10:45
So after visiting FTE I must confirm that the school itself from the look is just an amazing place to learn to fly. The campus is clean with very nice rooms (wouldn't say too many good things about internet but it is good enough to chat on skype:D)

Most of the students look happy and fully into work till very evening when everyone is going to the bar for a chill.

About ground school, I was informed that to allow you to go for CAA ATPL exams they exam you with an internal exam unless you pass, which is absolutely the same as OAA does (although FTE does not advertise it like OAA), also every few months you go for revision tests where they indicate your progress and your performance, which is fully internal and is only for your information.

The flight instructors I met were simply amazing. Absolutely friendly and excited about teaching.

The simulater and all the other harware looked inspiring if you may say so.

Employment wise, I was informed that every year Aer Lingus and City Flyer are asking for approximately 25-30 students for them and that is the reason why they are putting best students forward for these jobs.

Although if you will check OAA emplyment statistics they have half or even more of the students getting RYANAIR jobs, despite the fact that the school has absolutelly nothing to do with that since quite a number of FTE grads going Ryanair as well.

The staff of the school is one of the friendliest I have ever seen and I have seen quite some. Back there you just feel yourself like a home.

As for my personal plans I am waiting for sponsored schemes with them and if not I will join them as a sef-sponsored students since if some sponsored schemes arise during my time there I am still allowed to apply for them being in my studies already. Sounds like a plan;) And I would suggest anyone considering integrated route do the same thing.

P.S. Don't take assessment there too lightly;) I passed and believe it was quite easy, although I already know a number of people who failed (pilapt/verbal) mostly

UnabI
6th Apr 2012, 16:53
I will start on 12 October!! But english is not my mother tongue and I will do 3 months of english lessons before, so I will start on July!Someone in the same situation? Or someone who starts on Ocober?

I chose FTE because live there with full accomodation and live with the students will help me to improve my english and will be good for my training I think!

paulslats
16th Apr 2012, 19:29
Thanks to everyone so far that has messaged me about the fte assessment day,really appreciate all the help.

If anyone else has been over recently, could you please drop me a message, have my assessment coming up and am getting fairly nervous.
Any help no matter how small you think it might be will be very much appreciated. Thanks all

rmartingens
16th Apr 2012, 20:26
FTE | Pilot Training | British Airways | Flight School | Become a Pilot | Pilot School | FTEJerez (http://www.ftejerez.com/)

ftejerez??

It is in Spain but I think that emitted license UK

UnabI
19th May 2012, 12:19
yes, it is UK license

paulslats
10th Jun 2012, 14:21
hey all,
been very quiet on the fte news of recent. anyone who is out there got any news or anyone hoping to go out??

BroCode
11th Jun 2012, 04:36
25-30 guys into Aer Lingus every year? I really don't think so! The cadets yes but this is the first class EI have run in quite some time. EI recruitment to my best information had been stagnant for a long time before the FO posts advertised in Dec 2010 i think it was and then the cadetship more recently. I would take that waffle with a large pinch of salt. Usual FTO bull :yuk:

BUGS/BEARINGS/BOXES
11th Jun 2012, 10:15
Re read that post brocode. It said 25-30 for flyer and lingus, as a total one off. No mention of every year. Sounds plausible.
Flyer crews do tours, that's extra bodies to be placed on every airframe. Probably 6-7 per frame. Factor in the numbers who jumped to the ME just before, or after their command courses and it's no wonder they need bodies. Perhaps new airframes to arrive?

Lingus drag their heels through heaps of HR red-tape before conducting any recruitment/courses. I would not be surprised in the slightest if they needed some extra bodies.

veetwo
11th Jun 2012, 11:56
Employment wise, I was informed that every year Aer Lingus and City Flyer are asking for approximately 25-30 students for them

Sounds like a mention of every year to me.

If it was me I'd be asking to see the exact numbers over the last 24/36 months.

16Jay22
10th Jul 2012, 21:27
Just went last week did my assessment and passed it, now looking to join fte in september/october.
Reading past posts people saying situation doesn't look to good but I think now they are getting back up to track, this is my opinion as an outsider but am still quite worried about whether to join FTE or not :s

TheTravellingLemon
11th Jul 2012, 08:09
I appreciate that as a second time poster this will look suspicious, but I read this thread with concern before coming out to FTE a few months ago. In my opinion, the criticisms are almost entirely unjustified.

What I've found here is a bunch of highly enthusiastic, highly knowledgeable instructors who make ground school as enjoyable as possible. There may have been some changes before I arrived, but as things currently stand, the quality of the training is excellent. My course have done consistently well throughout Phase I, and we feel well prepared for our JARs.

If anyone has any specific concerns, feel free to PM me. But don't let this thread put you off coming to an excellent school!

lowflyer69
13th Jul 2012, 04:40
i graduated from fte just over a year ago, and some of the things here are true.
the training at fte in my eyes was pretty dam good and you do get a lot of flying done as the weather is great, and while you're a student there you will enjoy it there, but the day u've finished ur mcc and graduated you better hope that u made it into the top 5% of graduates of the year worthy of a recommendation as less than 5% of graduates find jobs with the schools help (ie through recommendations) and if you havent then you do realise what every1 else on here is on about, for you its a school, but for them it is a business. the day you leave is the day you're forgotten about,as for helping you out and keeping in contact with you wen ur gone, in the past year and a bit ive recieved 2 emails, as for the interview preparation its just a lady who gives u 2 hours of info, and thats the most important part, once she leaves the room you will never hear from her again, (even though shes given every1 her email address and said she will help you prepare your cv and what not)
AND SO with hindsight if i could go back and goto ctc or oaa or even gone modular i would.

like many of you aspiring aviators you all know that aircraft have callsigns, well ironically fte's call sign is "cygnet"- a young swan-a bird, and what happens when a young bird learns how to fly, its thrown out of its nest and forgotten about.

Hagop
13th Jul 2012, 09:38
If the situation at FTE was that down, and if instructors where leaving.. I don't think that FTE Jerez would order 8 new Diamond DA42 aircraft and 2 Diamond simulators 2 FNPT2 DA42 ! which definitely is a sign of things going better :)

Hagop
13th Jul 2012, 12:55
Do you mean that CTC Wings or OAA are better in placing their graduates with their partner airlines?
so it's been a year from your graduation .. are you employed at the moment?
Did FTE help you with the interview/CV preparation or at least recommend you to apply for an airline? or was it you who personally searched and applied for an airline? How long did it take you to get employed after graduation?

PrestonPilot
13th Jul 2012, 16:49
Hagop, what has the success of FTE as a business got to do with its record of graduates finding jobs?

paulslats
13th Jul 2012, 18:36
I think all of Hagops questions are valid. As a successful business they should be helping all of their 'clients' as much as they can.

I think for Euro 100,000 plus euro there should be more of an effort made by Fte to help their students.
I hope to go to FTE however this is a constant concern of mine and putting doubts in my head about the place; an awful lot of graduates have said they have received little or no help by FTE as regards an interview etc with an airline.

16Jay22
13th Jul 2012, 19:02
As Paul said am also worried about fte helping you with interviews and finding a job, really want to join fte but this is the one thing putting me, if they improved and got better reviews on this one thing I would certainly join fte straight away

Someone needs to reassure me with this :(

student88
14th Jul 2012, 16:41
I don't think that FTE Jerez would order 8 new Diamond DA42 aircraft and 2 Diamond simulators 2 FNPT2 DA42 ! which definitely is a sign of things going better

United just ordered 150 737s, do you think they have enough pilots to fly them already?

Just because they've ordered new aircraft (much needed new aircraft), it doesn't mean they have the required instructors.

colourblindgeek
14th Jul 2012, 20:16
A few years back, I enjoyed a one day assessment with thomas co?k and FTE Jerez. I was absolutely promised that after the assessment I would be out in one of three piles. You're in on the TCX scheme, you're in, but not under the scheme, or you're not up to being a pilot. Well none happened. The smoking dragon that promised all of the above started her speech by saying that there were no smoke and mirrors. Which meant there was. So, for me fte have proven to be liars. But to be fair, I'd rather not be hanging my future on TCX as they won't be around in 18 months time. So go into FTE Jerez! Enjoy!

Lakhan
15th Jul 2012, 10:48
I went to FTE a while back to tour the school to see what's what. I believe before they had the usual CPL/MEIR +MCC for around £85,000. Now with this "new" course, the First Officer course, they are giving you all above with JOC and interview/CV prep for around £86,000. Am I missing something here?

VNAVPTH
15th Jul 2012, 11:01
No flight school, or airline course for that matter, will guarentee you a job. Some FTOs offer a sort of work experience scheme for 6 to 8 months with a partner carrier. Those carriers only use them due to cheap labour and partially offset TR costs. If you are lucky, you might be kept on.

If you were expecting to be placed, found a job, with a UK airline you can expect a long wait. Schools can't create jobs or predict the future. Neither can airlines. China and the ME are looking, and will be increasingly so. Hopefully they will start to get involved in FTOs in Europe when they realise a need for well trained ab-initio pilots.

Timing is everything in this game sadly. I had a very long wait after finishing in 1992. But I stuck at it, and got a job. All came good in 1996 when I landed a job with one of the big boys of the time! So there you go. No school even offered to help with a CV then ( not in real terms).

PrestonPilot
15th Jul 2012, 12:16
The amount of utter nonsense on this forum is astounding. Everyone coming chiming in with a load of made up stuff claiming it as fact.
The poster above me claims that some airlines will take you from a flight school on a 6-8 month training deal, but none will give you a job?
How do you explain the guys from CTC who got a permanent job with Qatar? Edit: Thought I better explain that I am well aware that this is not even a guarantee, but still it's not a work experience deal.
It's all about luck at that time you come out of training as long as you put in the hard work. Anything can happen, but don't come in here saying there are definitely no jobs.

If I was someone reading this forum, looking for advice I really wouldn't bother taking most of it. Everyone is here to talk you out of doing what you want to do.

paulslats
15th Jul 2012, 12:59
I agree with a good deal of what preston pilot has to say. If this is your dream you should go for it and dont be talked out of it.

However i do strongly believe the FTOs should be trying harder to help their students and not just to dismiss them as soon as their 100,000 euro has been cleared.FTE seem very good at this.

However i am aware of the market and that jobs are scarce so it is vital to take your chance should one arise.
Most vital is to get very good first time pass marks and come out of whatever FTO with the best possible C.V.

16Jay22
17th Jul 2012, 09:33
FTE cant be doing so bad if they just announced the BA City Flyer Mentored Scheme.
Maybe this is a sign that the industry is going back up?

pilotarosa
19th Jul 2012, 17:49
FTE has 3 people working full time to find jobs for their graduates....move yourself from the sofa, go to FTE, talk to any student there, walk around and see it for yourself.
Ah and i forgot...please note that when you go to the campus you can really talk to any students or person you like, unlike some other ftos where only "selected students" are allowed to talk to you

paulslats
24th Jul 2012, 20:14
hey all. are there any presant or past students of FTE from Ireland??

Just trying to arrange travel plans to head over and finding flight times and frequency isnt the best.
Any help would be much appreciated.

paulslats
30th Jul 2012, 18:11
or even any UK students that didnt fly direct to jerez. is there a decent train or bus service from Gibraltar or Malaga??

average-punter
30th Jul 2012, 19:52
paulslats: you can probably get a train from Málaga to Jerez although it will take a while and you will have to change, probably in Sevilla. Renfe (http://www.renfe.es) should be able to tell you the train times, with any luck there will hopefully be an AVE (a fast Spanish train)

paulslats
30th Jul 2012, 20:23
thanks for the help average punter. the flight out of jerez is nt until after 9pm so i would miss all connecting flights to Ireland from Stansted and have to stay overnight in london.no biggy, just thought irish people past or present at FTE might of had an easier option.

cambridge
30th Jul 2012, 20:39
Dublin-Seville. Seville train passes Jerez Airport. Easy! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

paulslats
10th Aug 2012, 18:53
Any news from FTE, how are present students geting on??

eMACaRe
10th Aug 2012, 19:13
I believe that the latest six Flybe MPL students have just about finished their training at FTE, and will be starting their Type Rating training at Exeter in October.
At the same time, six students from the Course ahead completed their training, and will soon be heading off to various airlines...

paulslats
10th Aug 2012, 20:08
Does anyone know if any self sponsored students are gaining employment or getting the relevant help from FTE!!

Sagit89
11th Aug 2012, 16:02
like them on facebook they post all the information regarding self-sponsored students.

Twice a month someone is getting a job. Some with Qatar(non-cadet), Cathay Pacific something else... but about 1/3 to a half of them Ryanair (same as OAA though)

paulslats
12th Aug 2012, 12:29
hey guys,

anyone used any of the pilapt prep on the internet before doing their assessment at FTE?? all and any help would be greatly appreciated.and can any1 remember which tests they use for their pilapt, i know different schools use different tests.

16Jay22
20th Aug 2012, 19:35
Anyone here starting on the 14th September Course?

phontik
22nd Aug 2012, 11:26
16jay12 I'm starting on the 14th September!

ABright
13th Sep 2012, 20:16
Hiya,

I know it's been a while since your post but I thought I would let you know that I am also starting 12th of October at FTE jerez!
My name is Adam and I'm from the UK, nice to talk to you!
Cheers

FOJoseph
14th Sep 2012, 15:01
I am currently preparing for my FTE Jerez assessment tests to allow me acceptance on the course. So far the material (maths, physics etc) doesn't appear to be too hard. Is it any harder/easier than the Pre-guidance material they give you before hand?:)

isos1
23rd Jan 2013, 19:20
Can anyone please give an update about the tests in the assessment ?
(specially the maths and physics )

Dave-Kosher
27th Jan 2013, 15:50
Hi,

I'm due to sit the Assessment exam in FTE 20th of March. I never did physics in school but i've started 1 on 1 grinds with a friend of mine. I just want to make sure what I'm spending my time on is relevant to the assessment itself and not wasted as FTE is the school I have my mind set on.
Any insight, tips or advice would be much appreciated please :D :ok:

ABright
30th Jan 2013, 22:38
From memory the assessments were almost exactly like the pre guidance material supplied!
But there is more questions and they do ask some things that require you to use the guidance material in a different light, so keep open minded and stay focused, they aren't that hard!

The Pilapts you cannot really study for, it's about your reaction times and the way your brain handles tasks.
Roughly from memory:
-3D man with shapes in hands, your timed and have to identify how many pictures have a square in the right hand for example. (Man will be upside down and back to front in various pictures)
-Puzzle solving. Your given a small picture of part of a puzzle and are shown two puzzles, you're timed and have to decide whether the peice belongs to either puzzle
-Joystick. Keep the cross-hairs in the middle of the box for as much time as you can. The forces on the cross-hairs change all the time to be ready to react quickly but smoothly.
-Fly a 2D aeroplane through 2D squares in the sky. As simple as it sounds! Very sensitive though, easy to overshoot.

Hope that helps slightly?
My course is coming up to the end of phase one now, Jars in march....

sura95
30th Mar 2013, 17:37
Been a long time since anyone has posted here!
To those who did the pilapt at FTE, how did it go? I'm still trying to figure out where to apply for :ugh:

Thanks

4redsyourdead
31st Mar 2013, 12:00
Or you could skip FTE and do yourself a favour. Grap an aiport job , will teach you about the industry , meet contacts, go modular, save lots of money and get the same results.....no job. Honestly if your going to do flight training at this moment go modular as going integrated at the moment isn't an advantage personally as there are very few hiring at all with even Ryanair shutting up shop. At least with modular you can plan to do it over a longer time whilst you wait for the industry to improve. And before anybody says yes I went modular and no I didn't end up unemployed , so airlines do hire modular guys. I got a 737 job 3 months after training in 2012.

ManUtd1999
22nd Aug 2013, 09:45
How much time off do you get during training at FTE? Obviously it's full-time out in Jerez, but how easy is it to get home every now and then to see family/friends? Do you get days off that are known in advance or is it all single days here and there as and when the weather doesn't play ball?

Irish_Airspace
20th Sep 2013, 10:02
Anyone currently attending FTE have any opinions on it at the moment? I know last year there was apparently a shortage of suitable aircraft and instructors and that some of the more experienced instructors had left. Has this situation been resolved? How do yee find the training down there at the moment, does it live up to its price tag? Any info at all, no matter how trivial would be appreciated.

JPFTEJerez
23rd Jan 2014, 19:03
Once/If i get accepted at FTE, I will obviously require a class 1 medical licence. Just posting to see how long it takes to receive the licence after the medical has been completed? Also, there has been some mixed replies in terms of if you get a calculator in the maths and physics tests? Some say yes, some say no? any chance someone could confirm this? Cheers.