PDA

View Full Version : Iphone cable

herman the crab
25th Feb 2011, 14:52
Another silly question?

The Iphone USB/charger lead is a bit short for my liking and for practicality of charging from the wall socket, so I brought a USB extension lead.

But when I plug it in it tells me that it isn't supported for charging. Any ideas how to modify the lead? I assume Apple has disabled something in the USB connector?

HTC

Mike-Bracknell
25th Feb 2011, 15:25
Apple do some 'funky' things with the cable. It might become a little bit of a lottery for you to find an extender which does everything a proper USB port does.

stuckgear
25th Feb 2011, 15:33
i phone for HTC ? :E

FL7yD-0pqZg

herman the crab
25th Feb 2011, 15:52
I 'assumed' that the lead simply extended the one I had - ie all pins connected straight through...

stuckgear - very good but it is a 3GS on a very good package - wouldn't have it otherwise.

HTC

oldbeefer
25th Feb 2011, 17:08
Odd - I use a USB extension from back of PC to iPhone lead. Works fine?

herman the crab
25th Feb 2011, 18:55
This was from the Apple wall plug/adaptor... but have just tried from the pc and get the same message.

HTC

mixture
25th Feb 2011, 19:28
The Iphone USB/charger lead is a bit short for my liking and for practicality of charging from the wall socket, so I brought a USB extension lead.

Google "USB Power Adapter" job done. Then you can use a plain old power extension lead.

For an alternative approach, google "Active USB Hub', job done.

No need for cable messing. :ok:

herman the crab
25th Feb 2011, 19:59
PC connection isnt' an option

Can't use power lead adapters as for fire safety reasons we don't allow them onboard plus where I want to put it a large cable/adaptor socket is practical - hence the idea to extend the USB bit.

HTC

mixture
25th Feb 2011, 20:02
PC connection isnt' an option

Hence my recommendation of an active usb hub ??

They are powered, hence no PC.

Power -> Hub -> Iphone Cable -> Iphone.

herman the crab
25th Feb 2011, 20:32
Ah I see about the hub but again it is the space issue.

Basically I want to put the phone next to my bunk but the power socket is by the desk - a longer lead is really the only option unfortunately. Can figure out why there is a problem as the lead works fine for everything else, is under 5 metres so shouldn't need powering...

HTC

mixture
25th Feb 2011, 21:03
I see.

Ok.... perhaps third time lucky with my suggestions.....

Extra Long 6 ft USB Cable for 3GS iPhone Charger Sync Lead :: iPhone Parts and iPhone Repairs (http://www.ipaqrepair.co.uk/iphonepart2423.html)

call100
25th Feb 2011, 21:35
That's the one I got. works as well as the original. No problems found....:ok:
If it's not long enough still....XL 3m USB cable to iPod Dock : iPad Accessories : Maplin (http://www.maplin.co.uk/xl-3m-usb-cable-to-ipod-dock-505418?c=so&u=strat15)

herman the crab
25th Feb 2011, 21:45
Yep - 3rd time lucky! Thank you just what I need - not sure why I didn't find it thou... :ugh:

HTC