PDA

View Full Version : Licence query

flyinthesky80
23rd Feb 2011, 21:56
Hi guys,

Long time reader but posting for (well not the first time because I had another username but forgot what it was so first time in a while).. My question if anyone can explain it a bit better or in more simple terms than LASORS, if I want to finish my PPL and do a CPL/IR my PPL exams have expired so could I take the ATPL exams instead and get the PPL or will I actually have to sit the PPL exams > get the PPL > then sit the ATPL exams > then get the CPL/IR or can I not just miss out the PPL exams somehow?

Cheers

Whirlygig
23rd Feb 2011, 22:05
will I actually have to sit the PPL exams > get the PPL > then sit the ATPL exams > then get the CPL/IRYes, assuming you're talking about modular training.

Cheers

Whirls

flyinthesky80
23rd Feb 2011, 22:10
OK thanks Whirls, suppose I could do with the revision anyway.

flyinthesky80
23rd Feb 2011, 22:33
Another question, the time I logged from a few years ago can I still use it to count towards my dual and solo required time for the PPL? And when it comes to hour building, to get to 150hrs, I take it thats just all PIC to get to 70hrs in total?

VJW
24th Feb 2011, 09:11
Experience be it PIC or DUAL etc does not expire, so it all counts towards licence experience requrements.

Regarding hour building, you need to consider a few things.

For the issue of a CPL you need 200 hours total, and at least 100 hrs PIC. You also need 150 hrs total before starting a CPL course, and the 70hr PIC is a requirement before applying for the MEP rating, but forget about this last one.

Basically, provided you do the CPL before the IR, it's good to have the 150 hrs total time requirement with nearly 100 as PIC when starting. The reason for this is, the CPL course is 25 hrs minimum dual, MEP 6 hrs dual, and IR is at least 15 hrs dual in the aircraft. This will being you up nicely to 196 ish total with no increase in PIC. In addition however, successfully passed skill tests go down as PIC/us, or P1s and not only count towards the 100 hr PIC required, but also the 200 hrs total time required obviously. Each test is in the region of 2hr plus change, so should tick both boxes.

This is how I did it anyway. Of course it's a bit of a balancing act, but it's easier to deal with when you know what the target is.

flyinthesky80
24th Feb 2011, 20:51
Thanks mate for that, its a good tip, thinking about doing the hour building in florida or something, not sure where though.

flyhighspeed300
25th Feb 2011, 16:31
Going back to the first question you asked.

To start your ATPL theory exams (6 months course) or to do the CPL or IR exams instead, you have to have to been issued with a PPL book. You cannot sit any ATPL exams without having a gained your PPL Licence. This is for the modular route.

If you do the CPL or IR gorund school exams and gain there ratings. Then you choose to gain an ATPL licence you will have to go back and do the ATPL theory exams.

rankace
24th Mar 2011, 01:17
as vjw said " You also need 150 hrs total before starting a CPL course" you only need a ppl to start a cpl coarse but you need to the required hours to take the test so if you were a super d duper pilot you could do the cpl and hour building at the same time . unlikely

VJW
24th Mar 2011, 16:56
Be careful there mate, that's not quite correct.

The holder of a PPL(A) issued in accordance with ICAO Annex 1 (excluding the NPPL) with at least 150 hours flight time as a pilot, may commence an approved JAR CPL(A) Modular Course consisting of 25 hours dual flight instruction including 10 hours of instrument instruction (up to 5 hours may be instrument ground time in a BITD or a FNPT I or II or a flight simulator). At least 5 hours of the flight instruction shall be carried out in a complex aeroplane (certificated for the carriage of at least four persons and having a variable pitch propeller and retractable landing gear).

So you need 150 hrs BEFORE starting a JAR CPL course!