View Full Version : BBC Iplayer install...

herman the crab
23rd Feb 2011, 13:03
...or rather not!

Tried to download a program which told me I needed to install the new Iplayer (despite already having the desktop version installed) before I could download or watch programs.

It then takes you to a page which tells you to follow instructions so I click on the install button but it just gives the rotating arrow for hours and doesn't install. Have tried uninstalling, clearing cookies, cleaning the registry used different browser but to no avail.

Running XP with all updates. BBC help page is waste of time... HELP!

HTC

green granite
23rd Feb 2011, 13:12
If you just want to watch programmes you don't need it, just click on the one you want to watch and it opens in media player. (Or at least it does with W7)

mixture
23rd Feb 2011, 13:35
just click on the one you want to watch and it opens in media player.

I thought it just used Adobe Flash. :E

herman the crab
23rd Feb 2011, 13:35
I usually download things to watch offshore when there is no (affordable) internet access.

Just tried your route and seems that I can down load as an avi file to place later, not ideal but if that the only option...

Thanks,

HTC

27mm
23rd Feb 2011, 17:28
Hi Herman, I run Win Vista and have a similar prob with Iplayer; as soon as I select a prog, a message "You need to enable Javascript" appears - I follow the help links, which tell me that as I use Firefox, I need to tick the "enable Javascript" box, which I have already done. Have e-mailed their geek squad for a remedy....out of interest, ITV player works fine.

herman the crab
23rd Feb 2011, 17:58
I hadn't had any problems with ITV or Ch4 and Five players either. I think I have just managed to get round it - logged on to other half's account and tried to install it there where it gave me the option to download the set up file.

All seems (!) to be working at the moment.

HTC