PDA

View Full Version : Australia/New Zealand to south America

jxc
23rd Feb 2011, 10:14
Day dreaming but does anyone know from past experience or day dreaming know how to cross the pacific in a light aircraft single engine, by Island hopping from airport/ Airfield etc what would be the longest leg ?

sky jet
23rd Feb 2011, 12:58
Well, Amelia Earhart and Fred Noonan had it going on until that last leg. I am sure there are many more airfields available today that would make it doable in almost any modern single engine airplane with extra tanks. There are very few places in the world that have not had a Cessna delivered at some point in time. Here is a link to a reenactment flight of Earhart/Noonan that should give you some ideas on a plausible flight path.

Around the world flight tribute recreation to Amelia Earhart (http://www.nauticalcurrents.com/amelia_earhart_mem_flt.html)

Jet

DassaultFalcon7X
23rd Feb 2011, 16:23
It has been done, check out this website where a bunch of guys globe trotted the world in a PC12, including through the South Pacific via Tahiti, Easter Island and onto South Amrerica.

There is a small islands, Robinson Crusoe (true), just off the Chilean coast where they did a fuel stop.

Friends Travelling Around The World (http://www.smilingflyer.com/)

Also, check out this website, it logs peope who have completed the global journey and provides a lot of useful background information.

Earthrounders: round the world flights in light aircraft (http://www.earthrounders.com/)

smooth landings.

niksmathew24
23rd Feb 2011, 21:32
Hey mate,

I had an examiner by the name Tom Dick. He used to hop from New Zealand to Singapore in a single engine arrow. The interesting bit is that he used to take 2-3 pax also. They would start from Christchurch and make regular fuel stops in North Island and then in Aus and then many more in PNG, Indo, etc.

Also we had bought a few planes from Piper. It was a lady pilot who flew it down to Christchurch all the way from the US.

And for the longest leg, am not quite sure but it could be from Auckland.

jxc
23rd Feb 2011, 21:39
I know it can be down flying up towards Japan and over the top but trying to find if it can be done from New Zealand/ Australia straight ish to Chile by island hoping Plane will run on Mogas or Avgas need to find what would be the longest leg

NZ X man
25th Feb 2011, 00:22
I knew Tom DIck, great guy. If you contacted SOuthern Cross Aviation, who are in Mcminnville , Oregon, talk to Peter Fraser, an Ozzie, for some tips and pointers. He has flown across the pond probably well over 100 times in all directions.

Tankengine
25th Feb 2011, 00:40
jxc,
Look at a map!:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

Then try to find the book "Frigatebird" by PG Taylor.:ok:

Luke SkyToddler
25th Feb 2011, 04:26
A bloke called Paul Murphy who last I heard was an A320 skipper at Dragonair, anyway I know some years ago he ferried a C152 from USA to NZ via that route, down peru / chile coastline, Easter Island, Tahiti etc etc.

Might be worth trying to track him down and ask how it's done