PDA

View Full Version : PPL to ATPL for the "mature" student UK to Antipodes

Titus Groan
22nd Feb 2011, 21:07
Can I put this out there for a concensus opinion:

I am 48. I have a PPL, gained in 2006. I have approx 250 hours on two main types of SEP.

My main occupation is as a health care professional with the NHS. I'm considering taking early retirement as I've been with the NHS in one guise or another for 25 years.

I am also considering emmigration to either Australia / NZ in the next year.

1 Would I have a realistic chance of attaining gainful employment either as a career instructor here in the UK or in the anitpodes?

2 If I attained my ATPL in the antipodes would I be eligible as a FO for the airlines?

I'm guessing that I may have more chance of a new career flying at my age in the antipodes but this is just based on the state of the UK economy at the moment.

I would appreciate any elucidation.

Many thanks

redsnail
23rd Feb 2011, 07:10
Never say never for the FO bit but you're on the outer edge of the envelope for Oz simply because of your hours. Most FOs in Oz have at least 2,000 hours or so.
Having said that, you just never know.

Righto, first things first. You'll need to see if you can get a visa. Being in the health industry, you have a better than average chance. Check that out first and then you'll see if it's feasible.

You should be able to find work (eventually) as an instructor.

Good luck.

Titus Groan
24th Feb 2011, 00:36
Thanks for that.. I would hopefully hours build as an instructor but would like to perhaps get onto transport either cargo or passengers.

felixthecat
25th Feb 2011, 17:32
Personally I think at 48 your a little old for getting into a RHS with an airline. Many have problems in their 20 and 30s.

I started later than most, some said that was foolhardy. That said I now have 8000 hours and looking at my second jet command shortly. When I look around at the job market they often are looking for age commensurate with experience, and sometimes an upper age limit on the FO.

It is a lot of money to spend late in your career. If you have lots of money and it is no issue then so be it but realistically you will probably end up as a career instructor and is there enough return on investment for that at 48 bearing in mind you will be closer to 50 when you achieve the licence. Pay as an instructor is very poor.

Please don't think I am being harsh I am just trying to be realistic for you. I would love to be able to say go for it, no problems but honestly I can't at 48 :sad:

Anti Skid On
10th Mar 2011, 02:53
Forget it (sorry :{)

NZ produces many a young (e.g. 18 - 20 y.o) CPL, most who end up instructing. There are very limited jobs with Air NZ, the majority go to those kids (most of whom head to Africa to hours build). Another popular route is flying night freight - oh deep joy, single pilot ops in an ancient twin in grotty weather.

I did read somewhere that Air NZ's 737 FO's were amongst the lowest paid in the world.

The majority of instructors get paid a pittance and doing scenic flights or meat bombing (parachute drops) are the only other options.

On the positive side GA is cheaper than the UK

BTW I am also a health professional here (originally from your neck of the woods) and have to say the service here is equally bizarre and coming from the UK to work in that you will probably find it challenging