PDA

View Full Version : the mystical mil flight school guarantee

rabidcat
22nd Feb 2011, 18:07
This is a somewhat 'dead horse' subject that I want to kick again. I keep hearing people say, "make sure you get a guarantee" in your military contract when you talk to a recruiter if you want to fly helicopters.

Can you truly get a guarantee that the military will let you have a shot at flight school (assuming you go through basic, OTS, and qualify)? Has anyone here ever seen a guarantee for real?

Appreciate all the help folks.

MightyGem
22nd Feb 2011, 20:00
Probably depends on which country you're in. Where are you?

rabidcat
23rd Feb 2011, 05:23
Sorry, forgot to mention im in the US.

Marc Tower
23rd Feb 2011, 13:53
That's what I did (a long, long time ago) to come in as a Warrant Officer. Get the testing done before you sign a contract and if you qualify then you sign up.

The way it USED to work, I don't know about today, is that if you performed well :ok: and didn't misbehave, you got to stay in flight school and move on.

If you couldn't do the work :confused: , but still behaved, you had the option to choose another Army job or go home.

If you couldn't behave := (which happened to a classmate) you got sent to Ft. Sill to become an enlisted Forward Observer for the Field Artillery.

But, again, that was 30 years ago.

TwinHueyMan
24th Feb 2011, 01:07
For the Army, you can still come in to the military directly as a Warrant Officer with a job of 153A - Rotary Wing Aviator. Commonly referred to as streets to seats or highschool to flightschool. Its a bit hard to go through the process, compared to a warrant packet while already enlisted, but possible. Most recruiters are not proficient at this process so be sure to do your research first, or you may end up duped and enlisted. There are no guarantees to become a pilot by enlisting except for UAVs, but who wants to fly RC planes for a living anyways.

Mike