View Full Version : Multiple emails

BOAC
22nd Feb 2011, 17:43
I am noticing an increasing number of multiple identical emails arriving just this week. The best was 15! Mind you they were from a lady with OE who had not listened to my advice 2 years ago and had 8400 emails in her 'Sent' box (7600 in the 'Inbox') so no 'Sent' emails were going into that box any more. I left her (by phone.....) last night moving them all (from 2008) into a new folder before we have a go at deleting the Sent folder.

That apart, I am getting them now from companies and organisations who I would hope do NOT use OE!

Booglebox
22nd Feb 2011, 19:43
I would tell the lady politely that you are blocking her as spam until she sorts her tech out.

Sometimes you have to be firm with these people :ugh: :cool:

Mike-Bracknell
22nd Feb 2011, 20:01
Are they identical datestamps? or are they a few seconds (or more) apart?

Also, are you using POP?

If the former, it's because your client is not sending the DELT command to the mailserver after each transaction, and it's re-downloading the mail item every time it checks the server for mail. If so, i'd check whether your client is set to 'leave mail on server' which is known to screw up a bit sometimes. The solution for that is to either turn that feature off so you download the entirety of your POP mailbox to your PC, or failing that, ask your ISP to delete and recreate your mailbox (a bit drastic but it does the job!)

If the latter, it's someone else's issue and you should shout at your ISP anyway.

BOAC
23rd Feb 2011, 07:51
Boogle - you can see from post#1 that has been done.

MB- yes, POP, no to storing on server (at home, anyway). The 'lady's problem' is solvable. It was the arrival of two other identical (yes, that means timestamp too) emails, one set from another friend and another from an organisation which prompted the query.

Mike-Bracknell
23rd Feb 2011, 10:34
I'd ask the ISP to see whether your mailbox is empty then (when YOU think it is as well). If it is, then the duplicates are most probably not occurring as a result of your mail server or client and are elsewhere in the transport system.

BOAC
23rd Feb 2011, 12:05
MB - I think you are missing the point? The mailbox IS empty. It is not 'my' "mail server or client" that is creating the problem. It is something at the sender's.

Mike-Bracknell
23rd Feb 2011, 13:05
MB - I think you are missing the point? The mailbox IS empty. It is not 'my' "mail server or client" that is creating the problem. It is something at the sender's.

Not missing the point at all. Your mail client tells you the mailbox is empty....however that may not necessarily be the case.

BOAC
23rd Feb 2011, 14:38
To quote someone "We don't know what we don't know"?

Mr Optimistic
23rd Feb 2011, 14:52
perhaps she is in love and is persistent ?
But not every email is multiplied up in this way ?

mike-wsm
20th Mar 2011, 23:17
I've occasionally had this problem in the past and then it has gone away, which might indicate a system malfunction which is noticed and cleared.

Also recently I've noticed an address manually pasted into the 'To' box goes in twice, which would cause two identical and identically timed emails to be sent.

BOAC
21st Mar 2011, 10:13
Not seen that last one, m-wsm - which email client?

mike-wsm
21st Mar 2011, 11:04
Hotmail, not from address book, just when pasting address. Several times recently.