PDA

View Full Version : Redundancy & FRI's! Why?

bighead
21st Feb 2011, 16:36
I am glad that manning is as pi$$es off as me to hear while so many of us are facing redundancy, or not being signed on, post SDSR, the SAR boy w@nkers are being offered a 50K FRI. If I'm not mistaken it was a SAR boy who caused the privatisation to fall through in the first place.

There must be enough of us in the system who don't want redundancy to replace them as they leave, or even lay on a fast track OCU.

This is simply another waste of public money! :ugh:

xenolith
21st Feb 2011, 16:53
Enter [email protected]..................

Biggus
21st Feb 2011, 17:13
Will Prince William qualify? :)

No doubt 50k would help towards the wedding costs... :ok:

Geehovah
21st Feb 2011, 17:36
In their defence they were looking at redundancy themselves a few weeks ago

Supply and demand I'd say.

pasptoo
21st Feb 2011, 17:50
SAR Redundancy followed by a handshake into SAR-H as a civvy I'd guess?

The MOD will need that 50k to upgrade their Sea Kings!

Not good times to be part of what was once the worlds finest Military.:sad:

21st Feb 2011, 17:54
bighead - where did that hot rumour come from?

xenolith
21st Feb 2011, 18:10
:D Right on Q :)

Jayand
21st Feb 2011, 19:02
You wouldn't be complaining if it was coming your way!

Doctor Cruces
21st Feb 2011, 19:10
Is it cheaper to pay 50k each to retain rather than re train other pilots?

Doc C

22nd Feb 2011, 06:30
Apparently it's £100K for QHIs:ok:

Redcarpet
22nd Feb 2011, 11:10
Oooo bighead, jealous are we? Suck it up sunshine, who's the w@nker now?

snaggletooth
22nd Feb 2011, 19:36
£75k for Rearcrew QHCIs makes the bitter pill of a tour at EGOV a bit sweeter. :D Well done manning :ok:

minigundiplomat
22nd Feb 2011, 22:39
100k for CH QHI's and 75k for QHCI's was the brief I heard today. Not just SAR on the make then?

chinook240
23rd Feb 2011, 12:52
A Merlin Mk 3 QHI tells me they may be offered £125k, with £75k for QHCIs! :uhoh:

Sven Sixtoo
23rd Feb 2011, 19:31
If they want a Sea King line pilot, all they have to do is issue the order. I await instructions.

Sven
Still willing to serve

leopold bloom
23rd Feb 2011, 19:42
"A Merlin Mk 3 QHI tells me they may be offered £125k, with £75k for QHCIs!"
If there is a nice car and a generous allowances package thrown in I might be tempted to re join.:D

SARfuture
24th Feb 2011, 10:07
It seems FRI or not, the SAR force is desperate to recruit an extra 7 crews to fill the hole after the CG interim contract expires.

There is even chat of training merlin crews to fill in. I bet a 50k FRI, although seemingly ill timed, would be a cheap way of maintaining the current capability. :ouch:

pasptoo
24th Feb 2011, 12:23
Why would you pay a FRI to anyone when there are no jobs for them to leave for? :confused:

Surely a Retention Bonus is there to stop you going outside for better paid work. There is no work so why waste money on keeping people from leaving who don't want to leave anyway? :ugh:

Not to mention the redundancy numbers. Perhaps it is a Redundancy and not a Retention Incentive?

Careful what you wish for. :E

pr00ne
24th Feb 2011, 12:34
An organisation that is making more than 25% of it's incredibly carefully and competitively selected and recruited aircrew trainees redundant, while preparing to make a further cut of some thousands in it's work force, that will include many more aircrew, at the same time as it prepares to pay out £100k plus retention incentives, is broken, pure and simple.

No wonder you can't keep anything within budget.

minigundiplomat
24th Feb 2011, 13:53
Proone,

if the RAF was a widget factory with everyone employed producing widgets, then I would agree with you entirely. Widget demand down, widget workers made redundant.

However, the RAF has a number of capabilities [not as many as once had] and is reducing those capabilities. So, it needs to shed x number of y trade, and so on.
At the same time it needs to maintain, if not expand, some capabilities. Often, these capabilities are in hard hit pinch points with a fair old turnover of people. Everything is kept together by a thin veneer of experience, with dilution rates lapping away at their ankles.

If they go, things will go downhill rapidly. At the same time, the RAF has a pay freeze, chopped allowances and is making noises about pensions. That thin veneer realises how hard they are working, and how poorly placed they are.

They leave.

Pasptoo -

Don't give me that crap about no jobs to go to. You are either unemployable, or not looking hard enough if you can't find a half decent job right now.

chinook240
24th Feb 2011, 18:04
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-merv/fishing.gif

JT, if ur reading this - as predicted!!!!!!!!

pasptoo
24th Feb 2011, 19:35
You are either unemployable, or not looking hard enough if you can't find a half decent job right now

Thanks for the boost in confidence MGD, to back up my earlier post; I know of several recent/soon to be exMil guys (PVR and TX'd) who are out there looking, with nothing coming to fruition. All of them licensed and not on Robbies either. A lot more were banking on SAR-H !

Yes, there are jobs if you know where to look, have the right contacts and want to travel, but worth leaving for? Not sure. If there were so many descent paid jobs in civvy street, then 50-100k (30-60K after tax) would be recouped in one or two years! Would it stop anyone from leaving (after pension)?, the unemployable (unchangeable) will stay, the "good" will leave! In the current military climate, I'd be happy to HAVE a job when this dust settles!

For example: you take the FRI (if there is one), pay-back = 5 years?, Son of SARH starts and everyone leaves! What was the sense in paying the cash? If there is no FRI, then crews will stay or leave as they see fit anyway.
FRI = F'ing Rotten Idea; the MoD are broke, don't waste cash on fruitless schemes.

As for me, I'm doing ok in my "half descent job", I've been very fortunate to be employed since starting work almost 30 years ago, but thanks for your comments. :ok:

snaggletooth
24th Feb 2011, 20:19
pasptoo,

I'm doing ok in my "half descent job"

Do you ever go the full distance or only ever halfway?

pasptoo
24th Feb 2011, 21:25
"half descent job"

Not my phrase, hence the quotations. :rolleyes:

P.

minigundiplomat
24th Feb 2011, 22:01
Putting quotation marks around something doesn't count as a cop out if you've spelt the quotation wrong - but good try.

pasptoo
25th Feb 2011, 00:07
Spelling police rollicking accepted, cutting and pasting bad! :ouch: