PDA

View Full Version : Alan Mann Helicopters (Nostalgia thread)

Pages : [1] 2

Savoia
21st Feb 2011, 12:20
One of the discoveries we have made in developing the Ferranti tribute site (and I shall be the first to admit that this is a discovery which is startlingly obvious) is that the longer one leaves such endeavours - the harder it gets.

While I have someone collating material and liaising with the web designers it isn't going to be too much of a stretch for me to incorporate some additional information to be hosted on this site and, in this regard, I would like to obtain as much information as possible (documents, photos and stories) relating to Alan Mann Helicopters.

Regarding AMH I have noticed from my enquiries so far that there is, among some, a lack of imperative towards preserving this information and I have wondered whether this is felt because AMH are still running?

The trouble is there is precious little by way of open source material (as indeed was the case with Ferranti) and those with all the memories of AMH's golden years are becoming increasingly difficult to track down. Some of course have already departed.

There is a story to tell involving old man Mann's departure into aviation, Mann's award of the Agusta distributorship and their dealings with numerous clients. It is an interesting often colourful story and one which I am sure some shall enjoy reading.

Anyone with information relating to Alan Mann between 1960-1980 please PM me. I would be most grateful.

Someone such as the 'Savage' would have been an extremely useful source of information.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/__dRpfF8qlVM/TSxz8TEEqvI/AAAAAAAABSk/qFaNVzgkK9U/AM%20206.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/__dRpfF8qlVM/TWJdotHGilI/AAAAAAAABtA/jBFh0g-3gw0/109A%20MkII%20HWBK%20Bath%2029%20Apr%2085%20%28Kevin%20Slade %29.jpg

S.

helihub
21st Feb 2011, 12:53
Here's a start... the full list of the new 109s they supplied while they had that role with the registration it was delivered with to the customer

109A

7170 G-OAMH Willowbrook International, Op by Alan Mann Helicopters
7173 G-HWBK Willowbrook International, Op by Alan Mann Helicopters
7174 G-HELY Barratt Developments
7187 G-UPVC Anglian Double Glazing
7213 G-WEST Westland Helicopters

109A MK.II

7244 ZE412 Army Air Corps
7245 ZE413 Army Air Corps
7265 G-EJCB J C Bamford Excavators
7272 G-GBCA British Car Auctions
7307 N109AB John Laing Construction
7347 G-HBCA British Car Auctions
7393 G-OTSL Therm-a-Stor Double Glazing
7410 VR-BKQ USAL
7411 G-BOLA Laura Ashley Group
7412 G-VJCB J C Bamford Excavators
7437 G-PJCB J C Bamford Excavators

109C
7643 G-LAXO Glaxo Pharmaceuticals

vfr440
21st Feb 2011, 13:16
Though not a new delivery, it would be appropriate to record
A109AM S/N 7138 as ZE 411 to Army Air Corps
A109AM S/N 7144 as ZE 410 to Army Air Corps

(both ex-Falklands, 1982)
~ VFR

Savoia
21st Feb 2011, 14:45
Helihub that is most helpful - thanks.

I wouldn't mind getting the inside track on the musings which went on with the AAC post-Falklands as it would make a great intro to the sale of units 44 & 45.

From what I understand it went something like this:

Maj Smith: Brigadier Bottomsley, I just wanted to say that me and the lads have been thrashing about in these Agustas for the past couple of days and, well, not to put too fine a point on it but .. they ain't half bad!

BB: What! Are you sure Smith? These contraptions are used by the Argies you know, some sort of relative of their home grown Pucara or something.

Maj Smith: Well, actually sir, they are made in Italy.

BB: Good grief, that's almost as bad isn't it?

MS: Thing is sir, these Agustas are actually doing a good job and the boys in Hereford are telling us they'd like to run some special ops training exercises with them.

BB: Good Lord Smith watch what you are saying there. Why on earth would the SAS want to have a go in these Pucara contraptions?

MS: Sir, the Agustas are actually a bit quicker than the Scout and could be useful in making expeditious insertions and in facilitating rapid responses.

BB: Oh very well Smith. But look here don't muck about with these captured units. Order up a couple from the manufacturer and let's see how these things fly when they're new and properly maintained. I'm not sure however how the MoD are going to like us putting in a request to procure equipment out of Buenos Aires!

MS: Sir, the helicopters are manufactured in Frosinone just outside Rome, in Italy and they have a rep in Surrey, Alan Mann Helicopters.

BB: Manfred Mann! What are you talking about Smith? Now get on with it and let me know when you've finished testing these Pucaras.

MS: Yes sir. :sad:

S.

TRC
21st Feb 2011, 23:22
Savoia,

If you were to ply VFR440 and myself with alcohol on an industrial scale, we could make your hair curl with stories of goings on at AMH from the mid 70's to the 90's or whenever VFR rowed away.

The really good times, the bad times and the occasonal awful times - we were there.

Gin for me...... can supply my own containers.

helihub
21st Feb 2011, 23:33
Savoia
One reason behind the order for the second pair was that the first two were no good for hot-and-high work, and the purchased pair were ordered with some kit which allowed that sort of operational environment. At least one got painted up in desert pink and sent out in a Kuwait direction. Hmm, how many kilos of sand were inside when it came back..?

vfr440
22nd Feb 2011, 06:16
Oh good, subsidised drinking - I like that idea :D Half-way decent Italian red (it has to be doesn't it!); Vino Nobile or perhaps a good Montepulciano flowing through my veins whilst TRC and I reminisce. You will be well placed, Savoia, to procure same - does one automatically gain 'sconto' when buying by the case?

I was taught such delights by the Tech Rep, Conforti (Agusta expense account :ooh:) and, for TRC, no, his father-in-law is still with us at the age of 92 and Giancarlo STILL hasn't inherited the vineyard and winery down in Tuscany!! Very frustrating - for all.

Helihub LOTS of sand ;) and everywhere, but on the contrary the sand filters that were purchased were never used in anger. They added weight and minor restriction to airflow and then bleed air to exhaust the debris so were a power loss limitation too far. We never asked what TOTs were achieved - just changed the hot sections on a regular basis (those very shiny and irregularly shaped compressor blades!!)

Better zip up or the Mods will remove these musings :( ~ VFR

Savoia
23rd Feb 2011, 05:08
TRC: What an excellent idea - bravo! I shall PM you and VFR prior to my next visit and we can agree a location from where we might imbibe and reminisce!

VFR: 'Sconto quantità' doesn't automatically apply unless of course one buys considerable amounts. However, I have found that if one is well acquainted with the vineyard owner's daughter that access to selected stocks (the better wines) is made considerably easier!

Vino Nobile; not bad and there are now several respectable Montepulciano's chief among which (in my view) are those produced by Emidio Pepe's vineyard in Abruzzo and who creates a Montepulciano d’Abruzzo which is probably the best in Italy! (I shall bring some examples for you to appraise).

If you truly appreciate 'Vino d'Italia' and if you enjoy unique flavours then look out for 'Barbaresco' and I have to say that I have been a 'Chianti' fanatic all my life. As a young boy, when I would visit my father on the outskirts of Milano during term breaks from boarding school in the UK, he would always serve me with Chianti mixed with water and from where I acquired the taste. As an accompaniment to duck I think it is unbeatable and I have found that with my favourite British dish (pheasant) a Chianti from the Colli Fiorentini region is a match made in heaven!

Salute

S.

Savoia
23rd Feb 2011, 05:44
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/__dRpfF8qlVM/TWSr7Abk69I/AAAAAAAABt8/Lfo5HlpV2a8/G-WEST%20Farnborough%2086.jpg

Agusta 109A G-WEST joins the Farnborough flight line on 5th September 1986

Thomas coupling
23rd Feb 2011, 10:12
Savoia, I'm curious as to why there should or needs to be a tribute to AM???

Whats so special about them that they need to be preserved in history?

TRC
23rd Feb 2011, 12:42
Whats so special about them that they need to be preserved in history?

It's mine and VFR's livers that will be preserved - well, pickled - if this comes off.....

(good question though)

Tarman
23rd Feb 2011, 13:37
G-TALY started off what turned out to be one of the most enjoyable threads on Rotorheads.

You never know, Alan Mann might bring out similar interesting stories from those involved. I for one enjoy reading about UK machines from the past.

For that reason alone I would say keep the AM tales and photos coming !

Tarman

Savoia
23rd Feb 2011, 14:29
TC: I felt the same way when I was invited by a school friend to stay at his home over an exeat weekend and was shown his father's collection of beer mats.

But here's the thing. The site we are developing which will record AMH's history .. you don't have to visit it.

For those who are interested; AMH were at the sharp end of UK civil helicopter sales for well over a decade. Initially, Agusta versions of the 206 far outstripped Bell models during which time AMH made significant inroads with individuals and organisations whose helicopter operations would lay the foundations upon which much of the UK's corporate and charter business would be built. Along the way many fascinating encounters were created through the interplay between owners, operators and the AMH staff and that is what we intend to record.

S.

TRC
23rd Feb 2011, 14:57
..... the interplay between owners, operators and the AMH staff....

Oh, there was always plenty of that.

ShyTorque
23rd Feb 2011, 15:06
Along the way many fascinating encounters were created through the interplay between owners, operators and the AMH staff and that is what we intend to record

Woohoo...airline consultant speak! ;)

vfr440
23rd Feb 2011, 15:18
No there really was! Some of them, well many of them, were gentlemen; some were just bloody impossible! I speak with feeling (and the need to drop in to my 'swerve-left' on the way home for some 'relaxing fluid' served by the pint) That's not wine, S, I wish.....but UK driving laws and all that......

We had some fantastic times on occasion (TRC in Klagenfurt, turbine doing the rural route of Austria via Stuttgart, for instance) AND, BTW, noting the reactions of the late Giles Villeneuve as an F1 driver, when he fired up a 206 with the throttle open - and cut it before things got exciting. And then apologised in both French and English; something about 'Sacre bleu, zis damned Italian machine - like the Ferrari - very unpredictable!' :oh:

I'm very much looking forward to the (drunken) reminiscing session with TRC, as promised by Savioa :D _

Brilliant Stuff
23rd Feb 2011, 20:34
I am always up for some history. Crack on lads.

JimBall
23rd Feb 2011, 21:07
Wasn't it an AM machine that nearly got the British GP cancelled at Brands Hatch in either 76 or 78?

I recall the total power cut about 30 mins before the GP start time, caused by a helicopter hover-taxiing to the bowser and cutting through an overhead power line.

Nobody knew what was happening for ages because even the PA system went off.

Mike Barratt where are you?

Upland Goose
24th Feb 2011, 18:25
I think the offending "cable cutter" was a Whirlwind Series 3 from Redhill in 78 - but I am probably wrong. Or was that another time? UG

Thomas coupling
24th Feb 2011, 19:53
I get it now, thanks.

You're a spotter right?

Savoia
25th Feb 2011, 05:36
Lol! I've been called worse!

Not wanting to disappoint .. the latest offering from Helihub's list:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/__dRpfF8qlVM/TWdG4kBDpgI/AAAAAAAABu8/W7OxrZoG0IA/HELY%20Battersea%2015%20July%201981.jpg

Barratt Developments Agusta 109A at Battersea on 15th July 1981

S.

helihub
8th Mar 2011, 10:21
Two more...

http://newimages.fotopic.net/?iid=1fctuj&outx=720&quality=70

http://newimages.fotopic.net/?iid=1fctur&outx=720&quality=70

vfr440
8th Mar 2011, 12:18
Aaah, the unlovely G-UPVC. :oh: The paint scheme was SO objectionable to the Agusta paint team that it took 3 factory visits, and several long-lunches to actually achieve the brilliant orange. Much discussion on this !!! :O My sales team ducked the aggro (fancy that) by going off with the Agusta sales team for mutual back-slapping and congratulations, leaving me in the firing line with the technical boys............... Some things never change.

When we got it back to Fairoaks it went throught the C of A validation, customising etc, flight testing and tart-up for delivery. TRC will remember the next part of this ver well. On the special day all of the Anglian windows hierarchy arrived for acceptance, including the chairman. As Ch Eng I failed (abysmally) to check the internal of the rear cabin, and particularly the double-glazed rear door windows. Someone, in an attempt at silliness and levity, had affixed a small Dymo label to each window inscribed "Double-glazing by Everest". :uhoh: Anglian CEO called our CEO (no sense of humour some chaps). I received a royal-interview. Again. :=

Bit like Klagenfurt really. Are you reading this S??

I'll be down at the local pub if anyone wants me.....VFR

Savoia
8th Mar 2011, 17:23
HH: Well done!

One sees that GEEVS is wearing the same colours as when she was OTSL below:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/__dRpfF8qlVM/TXY_sYNuOFI/AAAAAAAAB7Q/lNXTB4kLBME/s720/G-OTSL001.jpg

I'm not entirely certain who 'TSL' were.

I believe Mann's had a couple of 109's which wore the 'jack' somewhere on their frame. Car Auctions may have been another.

One see's that VFR installed curtains on TSL/GEEVS - the rear pax view is bad enough in the 109 without curtains but .. there we are!

Someone, in an attempt at silliness and levity, had affixed a small Dymo label to each window inscribed "Double-glazing by Everest".

Brilliant!

Of course Mann's must have sold Anglian their first craft, G-WILL (never did discover why she was so named) an AB 206B III which was delivered in May '79 and sold on to Switzerland in February of '83.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/__dRpfF8qlVM/TXY8Y4SxqlI/AAAAAAAAB7I/JV0CjB1rGjA/AB206III%20G-WILL%20Battersea%205th%20February%201981.jpg
AgustaBell 206B JetRanger III G-WILL at Battersea on 5th February 1981

S.

vfr440
8th Mar 2011, 17:35
S
I don't know who TSL were either, but I'll bet next week's paycheque that TRC does! He hasn't responded so probably away somewhere.....working? that'd be something LOL

Yes, Mann's sold G-WILL to Anglian, it was so namedd in honour of the then then Chairman George WILLiams. (UPVC of course refers to the window construction that Anglian pioneered in the early '80s).

So now we all know. TRC where are you? - VFR

helihub
8th Mar 2011, 19:54
TSL was Therma-Stor Ltd, a(nother!) double glazing company, this time in Peterborough. Owner lived in Elstead, Surrey and there was a regular weekday run leaving Fairoaks to arrive Elstead on the dot of 8am to take the boss to the office in Peterborough and return route in the evening. The pilot spent most of each day in a nearby gym, I recall!

wiganairways
9th Mar 2011, 14:10
found this snippet from 1987 about OTSL delivery, an A129?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wiganairways/5512331454/
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5052/5512331454_b3336b54b6_z.jpg

WA

Savoia
10th Mar 2011, 04:26
Wigan: Great Stuff!

I think I may have stumbled upon 'another' article which addresses TSL's identity issue! ;)

S.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/__dRpfF8qlVM/TXhgTv1fbAI/AAAAAAAACAg/TnDG2SiSAjM/s800/129%20c.png

wiganairways
10th Mar 2011, 12:44
Savoia, Grand Article,

I think you would sell more double glazing with the A129 than the A109http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

WA

vfr440
10th Mar 2011, 14:09
Victor Frank Reginald here ! And just love the spoof article, loadsa laughs :D Thank you for taking the time to (mis) quote me in such an erudite manner (I really didn't know all those facts about the Mangusta :() - VFR

Savoia
27th Mar 2011, 13:57
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/__dRpfF8qlVM/TY8-r2jgoWI/AAAAAAAACbI/PTL9M3__S5w/SA313%20AII%20FILM.jpg

Rotorhead Zishelix kindly posted this image on the Nostalgia thread but, I'm keen to discover Mann's thinking behind the acquisition of this craft as an 'Alo II' seems like an interesting departure from their normal run of 109's and 206's.

Great though to see the 'am' letters (and the Jack) on the nose!

Sav

TRC
27th Mar 2011, 14:21
AMH bought the Al II exclusively for film work. Aerial Camera Systems - the late Peter Allwork - had recently moved to Fairoaks and it looked like there would be a fair bit of film work coming in.

The Al II was chosen for a number of reasons - large flat floor, large door opening, it could fly as fast sideways as it could forwards - and there were several approved mods for various camera installations in existence.

I spent many a happy day with FILM bodging it up on locations around the place - P2 air switch intermittent so starting the engine with a paper clip, bleeding the oleos before first flight every day, regularly removing the m/r dampers to self-bleed overnight, etc....

One memorable occasion was at Butlers Wharf on the Thames during filming for 'The Professionals' (:eek:). One of the m/r dampers had lost most of its oil on the previous 10 minute sortie (it happened from time to time, never worked out where it went - no sign of oil anywhere on the blades, etc). I got someone to get me a syringe or something to nick some oil out of the hyd reservoir as a get-you-home fix. He came back having visited the local chemist shop with an enema pump thing which worked a treat.

All of the above snags were permanently fixed prior to going to Yugoslavia for the film mentioned above, and it ran like a sewing machine. We were often told that it was the smoothest Al II that anyone had ever flown in.

.... (and the Jack) on the nose

I put that on the day before it left Fairoaks by road for Yug.

Savoia
27th Mar 2011, 14:37
Peter Allwork - Good Lord! Now there's a name I've not heard in almost 30 years!

.. it could fly as fast sideways as it could forwards ..

Yes, a common feature of aircraft with a Vne of 60kts! :E

.. left Fairoaks by road for Yug.
Economic I'm sure but what a shame to miss out on what could have been a decent ferry flight (with the right company of course)!

While on Alo II's and filming. The event which led to the demise of John Crewdson (am not familiar with the a/c reg) was (as far as I recall) attributed to the wrong grease being pumped into the main rotor - was that in fact the case?

Sav

TRC
27th Mar 2011, 14:44
... the wrong grease being pumped into the main rotor

Standing by to be corrected, but I think it was the wrong anti-seize compound/thread lubricant applied to the m/r hub nut threads. I think it reacted with the xmsn oil vapour and attacked the threads causing them to fail.

Economic I'm sure but what a shame to miss out on what could have been a decent ferry flight

It went as a part-load with a load of other stuff for the film.

Savoia
27th Mar 2011, 15:41
Having trawled the list of early UK Alo's was able to identify Crewdson's ship as G-AWAP.

A summary of the accident report (http://www.aaib.gov.uk/cms_resources.cfm?file=/3-1985%20G-AWAP.pdf) reads:

"The report concludes that the accident was caused by the disengagement of the main rotor head retention bolt, with consequent detachment of the rotor, due to corrosion of the engaging threads between it and the mast.

Contributory factors were the application of a different aeronautical grease from the one specified for use during assembly of the rotor head, the presence of a sulphate contaminant from an unknown source, the omission of a main rotor head inspection which had become due 207 hours prior to the accident, low aircraft utilisation which resulted in long periods of time between successive inspections and an extension of the overhaul period of the main rotor mast assembly."

Pages 5-8 of the report offer a more detailed account of the various anomalies.

Sav

elro
27th Mar 2011, 15:50
Standing by to be corrected, but I think it was the wrong anti-seize compound/thread lubricant applied to the m/r hub nut threads. I think it reacted with the xmsn oil vapour and attacked the threads causing them to fail.

TRC, your thinking of the accident that involved a different Alouette II, a 318 not a 3130 like G-FILM. It was G-AWAP (http://www.aaib.gov.uk/cms_resources.cfm?file=/3-1985%20G-AWAP%20Append.pdf) that had heavy corrosion on it's Jesus-bolt but it had not been checked in 4 years due to poor maintenance. Indeed the the xmsn oil vapour did react with the non specified lubricant but if the maintenance schedule has been adhered to the corrosion would have been identified. Look at how horrifyingly corroded the threads are in the highlighted report!!:yuk: G-FILM was involved in a fatal wirestrike whilst filming in May '82.

Taken from griffin-helicopters:
The helicopter was engaged in filming work & the wreckage was found on 23 May. The A/C was in transit from Grobnik A/D to a private landing site at O'Malley's field near Boljun. The A/C appears to have struck three lowest wires of a 6-wire telephone system strung between poles on either side of a valley. One of the wires was found to be wrapped around the rotor head. The helicopter impacted with a rocky outcrop & came to rest on the valley floor. The wires would not have been visible against a dark backgrond. CAA closure: See YUGOSLAV CAA accident report dated BELGRADE JUNE 82. NO FURTHER CAA ACTION. Unfortunately I'm unable to find anything else related to G-FILM's accident.

TRC
27th Mar 2011, 16:26
I think you've got your wires crossed.

The hub nut problem that I referred to was in answer to Savoia's question in post 33.

I was very closely associated with G-FILM's accident (almost too closely) having been replaced by Andy Anderson, who died in the accident, only the day before.

vfr440
27th Mar 2011, 18:06
Of the very sad event, I recall only that the route normally followed to location was changed and the fatal wires were not marked on any map, neither did they have any polystyrene balls or similar strung on them.

As a closure, which I shall remember until it is my turn to go upstairs (or down), whilst TRC did an excellent job at the time he wasn't licensed on the AlII. Andy and I were. Both of us also held licences on the A109. We had this fabulous film job on one hand, and the Pope's visit on the other.(with both our operational A109s G-HWBK and G-OAMH flying aerial photos; one for BBC, the other for ITV - now THAT's a win-win situation, and I think it was Nigel who masterminded that deal :ok:) In the event Andy and I tossed a coin for who was to go to Yug, and who would do the Pope's visit. I didn't win, despite extensive AlII experience gained in Canada previously. I've often wondered, if the coin had landed the other way up.............................

It was one of the saddest moments that I can recall; we have all lost good friends and colleagues over the years. This, for me, was about the most poignant. And only goes to show that the day may be called, but the number on the bullet wasn't yours. RIP fellas, I miss you still ~ VFR

TRC
27th Mar 2011, 23:04
G-FILM with NPT at the controls with a Continental camera mount installed, and a forward-looking camera through an aperture in the the co-pilot's footwell. Yugoslavia 1982.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j212/teeo1/FILM001.jpg
and with a Stampe mock-up cockpit - in which I made a flight.. Looks like the late PM in the pilot's seat.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j212/teeo1/FILM.jpg

Savoia
28th Mar 2011, 08:34
Great stuff TRC! :ok:

You preempted my query regarding the square 'hole' in the lower perspex and which, I had guessed, was for the purpose you mentioned.

Can you recall any other major film productions G-FILM was involved in?

Brgds

Sav

Savoia
28th Mar 2011, 18:36
TRC: BEHG has appeared a couple of times on the Nostalgia thread (with pop-outs) and I didn't think much of it. Then, today, I was sent this image of her wearing shorts and, lo and behold, the penny drops and I recalled that this was the ship used by you and the welly-wearing John Ackroyd-Hunt in the rescue of the Dancer!

On checking the ownership details one discovers that 'HG' was in the 'Willowbrook' stable (a Mann company I think) at the time that the Dancer got into trouble.

I remember that when Col. Bob called up Mann's (probably the Savage) he specifically mentioned that you might be better off bringing a ship fitted with 'highs' because of the depth of the furrows in the field. Then JAH and co. turned up in BEHG wearing shorts and had to fuss around trying to find a firm enough portion of soil with the right amount of slope so as to avoid getting stuck in the mud!

That incident must now be 30 odd years ago!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/__dRpfF8qlVM/TZDJ6Zzt1HI/AAAAAAAACeA/b1XweSBo2QU/AB206III%20Cranfield%204%20Sept%2081%20%28Alan%20Mosiezny%29 .jpg
AB206B JetRanger III G-BEHG at Cranfield on 4th September 1981. The craft used by TRC and John Ackroyd-Hunt to rescue Colin Chapman's 206 G-AYTF after it suffered an engine failure. (Photo: Alan Mosiezny).

Sav

wiganairways
28th Mar 2011, 20:29
Savioa.

The address given in records for this company was in Derby Road,Loughborough, Willowbrook was a builder of bus and coach bodies, the company seemed to have, over time, had Jet Rangers and Agusta A109 in operation in Alan Mann colours,109 HWBK is the first to my mind.
JR's were BEHG,BGGX and BGGY.

TRC
28th Mar 2011, 21:04
G-BEHG

Originally bought new by Greenham Plant Hire to replace their previous 206 - G-BCVZ. Both flown by the late Paul Midgley. He had previously flown the 206 for Streeters of Godalming (reg forgotten - grey/red/white scheme, exported to the US I think).

HG then went to Compass Helicopters in Bristol. Company set up by Gilbert Greenall of the brewery family who did his PPL at Mann's and bought a 47G-3B1 (reg forgotten too).

Compass' pilot was a very pleasant ex-crab called Mike something.

No doubt someone will fill the gaps.

Willowbrook

They were indeed coachbuilders, I think the then MD was a helicopter fan.
They also owned a 206L11 G-HBUS.

Trouble was, the heli-friendly MD retired/resigned/fired/whatever, and his replacement didn't share the hobby.

Eggs and basket comes to mind.

Same thing happened later in my illustrious career with Unipart and hot-air balloons.

helihub
30th Mar 2011, 08:08
Compass CP = Bill Bailey, I think. They later had G-BHXV in the same scheme as G-BEHG above.

Willowbrook heli-friendly MD = George Hughes? (I think that's why it was G-HWBK)

TRC
30th Mar 2011, 09:13
Bill Bailey was at Compass, but I remember Mike being there before him. Not 100% certain though.....

Savoia
30th Mar 2011, 16:32
Helihub came up with an important discovery (well, to nostalgia fans) on the 'Oldest Helo' thread regarding an AgustaBell 206B G-CPTS.

The craft was bought from Mann's in 1978 by Hothfield Carpets (hence the registration) of Skipton, Yorkshire. Then in 1980 she was registered to Anthony Aspinall (perhaps Hothfield's owner given that his address is also in Skipton). CPTS has remained in Aspinall's ownership to this day - some 31 years on - 33 if Aspinall is the same as Hothfield!.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/__dRpfF8qlVM/TZNXm-KOxaI/AAAAAAAACf8/CDCzByKLyfM/AB206B%20Blackpool%2028%20Apr%2084%20%28Derek%20Heley%29.jpg
AB206B G-CPTS at Blackpool on 28th April 1984. (Photo: Derek Heley)

Perhaps the boys from Mann may recall some details of CPTS delivery and subsequent operations? Would also be interesting to view a more recent image of her.

Sav

Planemike
30th Mar 2011, 17:19
Bruce Aspinall was in the owner/MD of Hothfield Carpets and is credited with introducing "Berber" style carpets to the UK. The business was sold to the Gaskell Group. The mill closed in the 1990s.

Planemike

TRC
30th Mar 2011, 17:47
Don't recall that one at all..

helihub
30th Mar 2011, 18:52
OK, here are some AMH thoughts to get some more of you adding to this thread.

Four AB412s registered to AMH in Feb 83, cancelled in Jun 84. G-BKNR/S/T/U and I think I remember a b&w photo of one with its G reg appearing in Helicopter International (Heli1 will know). None ever made it to the UK - why did AMH have these registered in their name for 16 months?
Four AB206s registered to AMH Jun 81. G-BIZA/B/C/D of which C & D were never reported. BIZA became G-VANG for Vanguard Removals and BIZB was on AMH fleet for some years
Noel Edmonds - JetRanger G-NOEL, Squirrel G-NOEI in Marlboro colours (cr Silverstone Jan-87), Squirrel G-HMAN in Adidas colours. Was NE still working with AMH when he had Squirrel G-BGIM in gold with "Rainford Group" titles? Had company "Helicopter Management" - hence HMAN reg.
buying four 47G4As from Bristow - G-AXKK, AXKO in Nov89 and
AXKX in Feb90 plus AXKU which was sold on immediately to a customer as G-MASH
a Reigate based 206 landing in fog (vis <50m I recall) c 1990-1 and PPL(H) pilot being confident of landing because he had designed the new DME which was being trialled at Fairoaks
Star Aviation fleet - JetRangers BAML and BAZN and F1 Twin Squirrel BSSM later replaced with an F2 G-BSLL
Toleman Group (F1 links) who had JetRanger G-TPTR and swapped it in for LongRanger G-HBUS already referred to. Owner Ted Toleman - (Toleman car transporters) and twin sons Michael and Gary (the latter sadly murdered in South Africa in 1983). Argh, I even remember their car number plates - Ted had ET2 and The Toleman Twins had TTT222 and 222TTT.

There now, that should keep you going for an evening or three!

helipixman
30th Mar 2011, 20:28
Hope this will bring memories back to TRC

Streeters had two Jetrangers:-
G-BARO Bell 206B II which went to the US as N47122
G-BFND Agusta Bell 206B II which was sold to Warner Holidays Ltd

Gilbert Greenalls Bell 47 was G-BHAR

In addition to previously mentioned George Hughes - Willowbrook helis:-
J/r G-BEHG, BGGX, G-BGGY
A109 G-HWBK
L/r G-HBUS

he also had G-OAMH 16.1.80 - 3.12.82

Helipixman

DennisK
30th Mar 2011, 20:43
Hi Savoia,

Yes, that wonderful character and big lorry man, Tony Walker ... (always laughing & even added a 'smiley' to his cheques!) WAS a client of Spooner when I sold and taught him to fly Enstrom 28a, G-BBHE in November 1973 ... AND yes, it did win a 'concours' event oop north! In fact that year the Enstrom won Fortune Magazine's 'best industrial product of the year' award. Tony Walker changed the Enstrom for the B206 which gave him no end of Allison trouble I seem to recall. Surprise, surprise ... Allison claimed he'd never completed the compressor washes!

Second tack. Streeters of Godalming was also a Spooner client when Nick Streeter purchased B206, G-BASE, but a little less certain on that reg. 'tis the age you see!

Best wishes to all. Dennis Kenyon.

TRC
30th Mar 2011, 21:10
Four AB412s registered to AMH in Feb 83......... why did AMH have these registered in their name for 16 months?

It was a deal between AMH and Agusta. They were for Iran. Agusta couldn't deal with Iran so they were to be laundered through the UK. We were to go out there and fit fire-fighting gear to them, but it fell through for some reason. Pity - we stood to be paid a ton of money each for about a month's work doing the mods.

G-TPTR

Registered as such to stand for 'Toleman Powerboats Toleman Racing'. Had the pleasure of accompanying the great AD on a flight from Fairoaks to Greece in TR to make two episodes of 'Hart to Hart'.

G-BFND

Had to go to Goodwood one cold winter day to replace the fuel tank drain valve when it was owned by Warners. Someone had told them that if the valve doesn't fully shut when you do a drain they should poke a bit of wire up it. They did, a coathanger, and it emptied the tank onto the grass overnight.

G-BHAR

Gilbert wanted to keep it in Army green, but was advised that it wouldn't be too visible. He and I spent ages deciding on the size and position of a number of dayglo triangles that might make the thing a bit more visible.
Ended up with a 12" one on each tank, and a 4" triangle on each door over the inside Emerg Exit decal, and on each side of the vertical fin. Visible from about 50 feet on a bright day of course. He was happy though.

helipixman
30th Mar 2011, 21:18
Helihub

Was G-BGIM owned by Noel Edmonds (Rainford titles) or leased ?

I have owner as Lord Glendyne, 14.2.79 - 1.7.88 before becoming G-OKAT.

Helipixman

helihub
30th Mar 2011, 22:36
Helipixman - AFAIK Squirrel BGIM was only managed by his company Helicopter Management. But of course you cannot rely on every change of ownership showing up on the register :)

Savoia
31st Mar 2011, 16:59
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5296/5576823107_e401659a49_z.jpg
How the fair oaks of the 'Mannsted' looked in 2009

Dennis Kenyon wrote: Much of the Roger Moore 'Spy Who Loved Me' remote control scene was filmed using a full size mock-up which later stood in the AMH hangar at Fairoaks for a number of years gathering dust.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5051/5576823111_6094058906_z.jpg
Mock-up of the Bell 206 'owned' by Stromberg in the 1977 Bond film 'The Spy Who Loved Me' - now kept at the James Bond Museum in Cumbria.

We touched on this topic on the Nostalgia thread but .. I'm not entirely sure as to whether we resolved which craft was actually used in 'The Spy Who Loved Me'.

It was previously suggested that the craft re-painted in the above colours was G-BAKS. BAKS, we know, played a prominent role in the 1981 'For Your Eyes Only' movie - the flying sequence performed by Marc Wolfe. But, is it safe to assume that BAKS also starred in 'The Spy Who Loved Me'?

As with all the Bond films 'The Spy Who Loved Me' was filmed all over the place but I'm fairly confident that the flying sequences were performed in Sardinia in 1976 by John Crewdson. Can anyone reveal the identity of the aircraft which Crewdson flew? My godfather told me that John wore a wig during the flying sequences - and looked 'very pretty'! I am hoping that with the mock-up being tucked away in Mann's hangar that the lads from Mann may remember the actual aircraft involved.

In the unofficial Bond film 'Never Say Never Again' (1983) I have a feeling that a Mann aircraft was used (ever so briefly) for the landing shot by Miximillian Largo on board the 'Flying Saucer' yacht. The other helicopter featured in that film was a Bo105 which somewhat unceremoniously dropped Bond (or one of his colleagues) into a well!

Anyone in the know - please do enlighten us!

Sav

treadigraph
31st Mar 2011, 22:40
"The Spy Who Loved Me" is in my DVD player right now. Whoever did the 180 spot turn a smidgen over the top of the Lotus was a cracking pilot!

Dunno how well John Crewdson stood in for Caroline Munroe -she was, and probably still is, a very attractive woman!

Fixed wing maybe, but "Eveything But The Flak" is a book worth seeking out if you are interested in John Crewdson.

Savoia
1st Apr 2011, 14:07
Treadigraph: Thanks for the book tip, will certainly check it out!

John Crewdson's handiwork in the 'Spy Who Loved Me' posted below with Treadigraph's 'spot turn' appearing at 3:20. More about Crewdson on the Nostalgia thread.

YouTube - Spy who loved me : car chase and underwater

TRC: No more details on the voyage with TPTR to Greece? Got to meet Stefanie Powers in the mid 80's in Kenya on a number of occasions - a dinner followed by a snooker game at the Muthaiga Club especially stands out in my memory. A thoroughly pleasant woman.

Sav

treadigraph
1st Apr 2011, 15:31
I've just spotted the breakdown in my thought process between the first two paragraphs in my previous post! Well, I had spent the evening at a leaving do, so I'm surprised it is lucid at all...!

"Everything But The Flak" was written by Martin Caidin by the way and is about bringing three B-17s over the Pond to film "The War Lover" - more here (http://www.pbase.com/easystreet/notes_on_the_filming)...

helipixman
4th Apr 2011, 12:58
Picture for Savoia

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5078/5909206088_5452e600c3_b.jpg

Picture from Helipixman collection

vfr440
4th Apr 2011, 14:52
That'll be the Bernard Ashley machine, then. Good one too. Also one to which we fitted a (primitive by modern standards) glass cockpit. Weighed tons! And the equipment wasn't too happy with heli-vibrations as I recall.
VFR

Savoia
5th Apr 2011, 19:17
Helipix: Many thanks for posting BOLA. You must have one of the few remaining images of her!

Prior to BOLA Laura Ashley operated an AgustaBell 206B G-BMKM (which Mann's sold them in 85/6). Word in the hangar is they may have had another craft before this!

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/__dRpfF8qlVM/TZtnvlJ7B2I/AAAAAAAAClY/La3-vdcWiZQ/G-BMKM%20Brussels%201986.jpg
Laura Ashley's AgustaBell 206B seen at Brussels Zaventem c. 1987

Sav

helihub
5th Apr 2011, 22:43
The following Bell helicopters were believed to have been delivered via Fairoaks (I'll put together an AB206 listing soon too). Hope this jogs a few memories and photos...

B206B3
4374 G-CTPW Control Techniques
4401 G-DBMW Lind, Norwich
4409 G-DENN Abbeyflight Ltd
4475 G-NEWZ Peter Press Ltd
4494 G-MOTA John Sandle Motors
4511 G-OBAM Shawford Park Helicopters
4513 EI-MER Mercury Engineering
4523 EI-PRI Accorp / Rocca Tiles
4551 G-RJTT Air Deluxe

B206L4
52257 G-JGBI Dorbcrest Homes, Wigan

B407
53137 N7238A Chris de Berg (later became C-FCDB,G-DCDB with same owner)
53186 N52245 J J B Sports,
53282 N44504 Ryan, Dublin
53375 N407RB Roland Bardsley Homes

B430
49028 EI-WAV Westair Aviation (owner was McManus, right?)

helihub
5th Apr 2011, 22:59
The Ashley 109A2 in another guise

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4084/5097794616_fc00feb2aa.jpg

and in another scheme

http://www.abpic.co.uk/images/images/1209528F.jpg

The Ashley 47G5 G-BPAI at Compton Abbas (Ashley had a place out that way as well as Wales and the boat)

http://www.abpic.co.uk/images/images/1163199F.jpg

In fact I remember seeing a 300C parked up at the place in Dorset. It was N9599F which operated in UK on the N reg for some time and was later G-BXMY (was this linked to Ashley?) It's always been in the grey scheme shown here

http://www.abpic.co.uk/images/images/1087101F.jpg

helihub
5th Apr 2011, 23:16
Here are photos of most of those 206s
http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/middle/8/4/3/0361348.jpg

http://www.airteamimages.com/pics/91/91941_800.jpg

http://images3.jetphotos.net/img/1/6/5/6/25541_1173880656.jpg

http://www.abpic.co.uk/images/images/1142341F.jpg

http://www.irishairpics.com/images/iap_images/1005075.jpg

http://i.pbase.com/g3/91/59491/2/54986574.grjtt.jpg

http://images3.jetphotos.net/img/1/0/2/2/10065_1147567220.jpg

helihub
5th Apr 2011, 23:37
and most of the rest for good measure....

http://www.heliforum.com/php/uploads/photos/1215.jpg

Some 407s

JJB's N52245 later became G-GAJW

http://i.pbase.com/g4/91/59491/2/62522293.XSSohPm7.jpg

N407RB became G-IORB with same owner

http://i.pbase.com/u25/mikerice/large/40803492.GIORB1.jpg

and the 430

http://www.irishairpics.com/images/iap_images/1035345.jpg

milan55
6th Apr 2011, 08:07
Hi,
Great pilot Mr. David Perrin who fly in Rothmans Aerobatic group.I had a opportunity to meet him and Mr. Antony Biancchi, "Tony" as well as some mechanics from Personal Plane services during shooting of film :"High Road to China" on location in that time Yugoslavia mostly on airfild Grobnik near Rijeka.I work with them for a half year as a contact person between film flying crew and airclub "Krila Kvarnera" where I was doing my ICAO 2 years apprenticeship for aircraft mechanic licence.
One Sunday as I remember helicopter G-FILM took off with three persons on board for a short flight, to bring the second pilot for ferry flight of a third Stamp biplane, from 20 min flight time distanced Boljunsko Polje to Grobnik airfield.On a flight there happened a tragical and fatal accident where all thee persons died.Couse of accident was low level flight and helikopter cought a tipical cable used for a local residents to pull, transport goods on a hilly terrain:
Crew of a helicopter was:
1982 David Perrin (Stunt-Pilot), Jaron Anderson (Mechaniker), Nigel Thornton (Hubschrauberpilot):. Film "High Road to China"

This helicopter (registered G-FILM) was used for training and film work until it crashed in Yugoslavia in 1982 killing the pilot! ...
Some links to my photografs taken in that time:

Film High Road to China pictures from college photos on webshots (http://good-times.webshots.com/album/579815194bLYNKu)

http://inlinethumb25.webshots.com/27352/2280283870098921485S600x600Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2280283870098921485IgRhdk)

http://inlinethumb33.webshots.com/45216/2247863940098921485S600x600Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2247863940098921485VvxfuE)

helipixman
6th Apr 2011, 17:15
A photo of each of the Streeters Jetrangers mentioned in post 43 by TRC

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6010/5908650019_577c6d8f7a_b.jpg
G-BARO Bell 206B Jetranger II c/n 971... this is the one sold in the USA.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5032/5909206534_fc39604569_b.jpg

G-BFND Agusta Bell 206B Jetranger II c/n 8553.... this is current in the UK as G-BYSE.

Photos from the Helipixman collection

Savoia
10th Apr 2011, 06:53
Helipix: Great photos! Can anyone provide any more details on the Streeters operation?

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/__dRpfF8qlVM/TaFRok4jIaI/AAAAAAAACp4/USwH_XJ6SYc/DWAL%20A109A%20MkII%20Shoreham%2012%20Mar%202011%20%28Martin %20Stephen%29.jpg
Agusta 109A MkII seen at Shoreham on 12th March 2011. (Photo: Martin Stephen)

Originally delivered by Mann's as G-EJCB at the end of 1984 to the late John 'Chalky' White - he of the mechanical diggers!

Looking at the above, just wondered whether there are any other 'bits' of the MkII one can throw away in order to save weight!

Sav

vfr440
11th Apr 2011, 06:55
S
I sincerely hope that the aircraft was on maintenance ................ I don't see the TCH permitting such a modification!!

But there's a story about the lower fin (of course there is!). The A109 was designed by Ing Lovera and the late Ing Bellavita. The latter was the aerodynamicist; I met him on occasion at Cascina Costa, and I was very impressed - a gentleman, and extremely well-read in his discipline. I think it was he who insisted upon the lower fin being added to the orginal basic design which actually was more like the A109 E and derivatives. You can tell it was an add-on if you look at the structural aspect. The upper fin has both a forward and trailing edge spar and a transition frame to the tailboom. The lower fin, as an assembly, is just bolted on with a formed L-shaped fabrication and either 8 or 12 AN3 bolts into anchor nuts. (I forget just how many, but it is completely at odds with the careful integrated design of the rest of the airframe).

Bellavita went to the big bar in the sky some years ago; I see the hand of Lovera in the later A109 marques though.............;).

You are (physically) closer so could confirm the above, but I think it was that way. ~VFR

Savoia
18th Apr 2011, 06:53
VFR: I shall certainly make some enquiries among friends at AW! I do know however that there was a 'fin removing mod' which applied to a military variant of the 'C' model, specifically the 109BA.

Alan Mann was said to have a business partner, the Greek shipping magnate Niki Papadakis, and it is also said that it was because of Papadakis that Mann's colours were yellow and black (those of Papadakis' shipping line) as opposed to the colours of Alan Mann racing which were red and gold.

Can anyone verify this and does anyone remember Niki Papadakis?

Sav

TRC
18th Apr 2011, 19:36
...Mann's colours were yellow and black (those of Papadakis' shipping line)... Can anyone verify this and does anyone remember Niki Papadakis?

I remember Niki. Nice bloke, didn't see him often. Two particular things stick in my memory -bowling him out twice in consecutive balls when he came to watch a Fairoaks C.C. game (not surprising really), and shaking his hand (mine full of Crazy Foam or something similar) when he came to see us during an AMH Eng Christmas lunch - we had them in the crewroom, cooked and brought in by one of the eng's wives and very enjoyable they were too.

Not sure about the colours, his House colours seem to have been yellow and white with blue stripes, and a black 'P'.

Took this when we did some USL's onto one of his ships, the Point Clear, in mid-channel.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j212/teeo1/TRC3.jpg

LAS1997
19th Apr 2011, 08:06
I was watching an old episode of the TV cop series from the 1970's 'The Sweeney' the other day. Quite a lot of Fairoaks features, the West Entrance in particular and a scene when an AMH Bell 47 fly's over; I can not see the registration; but she is in the famous white yellow and black colours; can anyone help identify it? The year would have been either 1974, 75 or 76.

TRC
19th Apr 2011, 10:09
... an AMH Bell 47 fly's over; I can not see the registration; but she is in the famous white yellow and black colours; can anyone help identify it?

That would be G-BBRI. (Picture here (http://www.airliners.net/photo/Alan-Mann-Helicopters-Metropolitan/Bell-47G-5A/0683749/&sid=ada41b74c893f4a149cb303517639ad8))

G-BCVZ (re. post 43)

This photo turned up while I was looking for the Papadakis flag pic.

After it was sold by Greenhams it suffered a compressor seize while parked. This is it being recovered by road from near Arundel in Sussex.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j212/teeo1/TRC1.jpg

NutLoose
19th Apr 2011, 11:58
I have several of their old stickers unused in my desk somewhere, the balck with a gold Jet Ranger on and Alan mann Helicopters around the op.

TRC
19th Apr 2011, 12:18
Mann's colours were yellow and black

That's a point - when I joined AMH in 1974, their colours were in the process of being changed from Brown & Gold (which was HORRIBLE) to the familiar yellow/white/black.
The stationery was beige with brown lettering and a gold am, even the typewriter ink was brown.......

The 206 scheme was all-over chocolate brown up to the engine/xmsn fairings which were gold. (I think... it was 37 years ago :eek:).

Edit: Found this b/w picture, shows that the brown 'tide-mark' was lower than I remember it.
It was a ghastly scheme ...

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j212/teeo1/TRC5.jpg

Savoia
19th Apr 2011, 17:07
TRC: Great stuff! :ok:

Little or nothing in the public domain about Papadakis! Brilliant that you should have a shot of the company flag.

You make reference (above) to G-AVSN (A Ferranti ship) in post #43, did you mean G-BCVZ?

Sav

TRC
19th Apr 2011, 17:32
You make reference (above) to G-AVSN (A Ferranti ship) in post #43, did you mean G-BCVZ?

Yes I did, complete brain-fade. :O
Corrected now, thanks.

Tarman
20th Apr 2011, 07:44
http://www.abpic.co.uk/images/images/1077163F.jpg

G-BCVZ is still flying in Ireland as EI-BIJ

Tarman

Savoia
20th Apr 2011, 08:15
.. suffered a compressor seize while parked.

Excuse my ignorance but what kind of seizure was this (bearings?) and what are the causes?

Sav

TRC
20th Apr 2011, 09:21
Excuse my ignorance but what kind of seizure was this...

Also known as N1 turbine lock-up - carbonising of the bearings in the hot end, etc.
Can't recall the reason in this case.

RVDT
20th Apr 2011, 11:18
Sav,

Compressor seizure - Can be caused by corrosion under the top hat section which holds the compressor stator vanes in place. Have seen it occur in flight where the stator vanes will "lathe" the compressor hub through and basically the hub collapses followed by the complete compressor. Have seen this on a "new" Bell 206. Associated large bang and TOT normally "pegs out" at the max. See here (http://www.amtonline.com/publication/article.jsp?pubId=1&id=750&pageNum=4)

N1 lock up - usually on a newly overhauled turbine caused by N1 turbine tip rub. On a hot start just as you are about to light off the N1 section will seize. Not much to worry about, just wait until it cools down and it will free up and you can start it again. Standard procedure until it knocks the high spots off. Best part is the look on the pilot's face! See

N2 lock up - caused by carbon build up on the labyrinth seals on the PT wheels. Can be knocked off by turning rotor backwards. Normally an oil type problem and/or cool down procedure.

Carbon buildup - The drain from the forward N1 turbine bearing is through one of the support struts. If not allowed to cool sufficiently (relative term) the oil will coke in the strut and the bearing cavity will flood and the oil that normally flows through the strut now goes out through the labyrinth seals onto the face of the turbine wheel. Not good. Hot turbine wheels do not like quenching with cold oil. Good chance of wheel failure and exit from engine.:eek:

Savoia
23rd Apr 2011, 08:36
RVDT: Many thanks for that helpful explanation. :ok:

G-AZRU has cropped-up before on the Nostalgia Thread (wearing Dollar's colours) and it was intimated that she served as the personal transport to James Hanson for many-a-year under the 'pilotage' of Patrick McHaffey.

RU was supplied to Hanson by Mann's in March 1972 and seems to have worn the colours below throughout her time with them. In August of 1980 she was bought by Thruxton's Heliwork and the following year by Dollar Air Services.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/__dRpfF8qlVM/TbKIgyBwveI/AAAAAAAAC1g/b8XQitevcFw/AZRU%20AB206B%20Blackbushe%201976%20%28Peter%20Nicholson%29. jpg
AgustaBell 206B JRII G-AZRU at Blackbushe in 1976 (Photo: Peter Nicholson)

Sav

heliski22
23rd Apr 2011, 20:12
G-BCVZ aka EI-BIJ has moved on. Although I don't have the details, I know it went to France, Bordeaux region, I believe in 2009.

wiganairways
24th Apr 2011, 07:41
Registered F-HCRI, 26-01-2010 to Giragri 17 SAS, 17460 Thenac.
from the French register.

G-BCVZ, New to Camlet Helicopters Ltd, 29-01-1975 to 14-03-1975
to Alan Mann Helicopters Ltd., 14-03-1975 to 28-01-1980
then to Eire 28-01-1980.

Andy Healey
26th Apr 2011, 09:56
Good day all. Not interested in reg numbers but up for a party. Did I miss anything?
Andy

Savoia
26th Apr 2011, 10:58
Andy, am planning to meet up with ex-Mann'ers TRC, VRF440 and perhaps also NJT for a wee snifter or two on my next visit to Blighty. But there are probably other get-togethers of ex-Mann personel, perhaps the Savage would know.

Sav

B222
26th Apr 2011, 11:23
G-AZRU together with G-AVVH became EI-BES and EI-BEV respectively and were operated by Airwork Ireland during the sprraying season of 1978. BEV was lost in a bucket slinging incident in Wicklow and was replaced by EI-BHE which was purchased in Belgium.

Happy days but unfortunately the farming community was not ready for us and the company subsequently was folded and the machines returned to The UK.

When I figure out how to do it I will post some photos of BEV and BES in their crow spraying regalia.

Andy Healey
26th Apr 2011, 12:33
Talked to GS this am, Sav, and he pointed me here. Something must be done, ideally at the 4 SHoes (if it's still there). One summer evening, anyone?
Andy

Savoia
16th May 2011, 17:55
Formerly G-NOEL and prior to that G-BCWN this Alan Mann supplied 206 was once flown by PPRuNers Long Box and Paco. With Paco, according to Dennisimo, the cyclic came off in his hand while performing the full freedom of movement check prior to start-up!

Another PPRuNer involved with this craft was TRC who helped transform the ship from BCWN to NOEL.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/__dRpfF8qlVM/TdFgH5NOGqI/AAAAAAAADOE/MP9iBZvhF98/AB%20206B%20II%20Dunsfold%2014%20June%2086%20%28Kev%20Slade% 29.jpg
AgustaBell 206B JetRanger II G-RODS at Dunsfold on 14th June 1986. (Photo: Kevin Slade)

As an aside, the last recorded commercial movement at Heston Aerodrome (a 'farewell flight' for CAA staff) was performed by this craft on 6th June 1978 when she was G-BCWN.

Sav

vfr440
16th May 2011, 18:31
And me, S. On the morning of the (hi-vis) hand-over to Noel, fuelling completed, the water drain was done (of course), And the elecric drain-valve stuck, dribbling fuel endlessly on to the hardstanding. All normal efforts of trying to stop it doing so were to no avail. So it was me who 'volunteered' to change the valve, in situ, since insufficient time to defuel. Which I achieved OK, but at the time of the ceremonial title claim (Press, photos and all that stuff) I was in the shower dowsing myself with lots of hot water to get rid of the couple of gallons of Jet A-1 which engulfed me when I removed the duff valve and fitted the replacement. :E

Only done this once before in Canada - frankly I don't care if I never do another one. Jet A-1 around the nether regions creates a burning sensation you never forget.

Subsequently Noel found out about this 'hiccup' and at Christmas a Harrods van turned up at our house with a hamper - which was as welcome as it was unexpected, and very much appreciated. Good chap and very nice gesture :ok:

More memories!!! - VFR

Savoia
16th May 2011, 19:07
Another Rotorhead involved with this craft, well done VFR!

All normal efforts of trying to stop it doing so were to no avail.

Do you mean giving the bottom of the drain pipe a good whack!

Never really had much to do with this ship. When she was owned by Noel I saw her once while pulling out of Brooklands in the Towers 206L. Noel was hovering about the field with a bucket dangling beneath him no doubt practicing for one of the helicopter trials.

In the days when Edmonds was driving her she used to wear SONY titles on the forward cowling.

Sav

ps: Yes, Jet A does sting a bit if you don't wash it off. Back in my PNG flying days there were a couple of contracts where one had to self-fuel in certain locations and, on occasion, while folding the pump away the hose would offer its final contents over my fabric boots. By the end of the day one's foot would be bright red with flakes of skin falling off. All great stuff of course - when one was young!

Savoia
1st Jun 2011, 07:42
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-nJP5WIwE9aU/TeXnXaZJc7I/AAAAAAAADUE/gsWSRXNjSAg/B206L1%252520I-CDVM%252520%252528G-BKGG%252529Cranfield%2525208%252520Sep%25252079%252520%25252 8Ray%252520Barber%252529.jpg
Bell 206L1 belonging to Agusta SpA demonstrating at Cranfield on 8th September 1979 wearing Manfred's sticker on her forward door and shadowed by a Manfred 206 in the background. (Photo: Ray Barber)

This originally Agusta-owned Bell 206L1 was one of the first LongRangers in the UK after Ferranti's G-BFAL.

Alan Mann operated I-CDVM (above) for about a year between '82 and '83 when the craft was registered as G-BKGG prior to being returned to Italy.

Out of curiosity .. did Agusta ever manufacture the 206L? My understanding is that they did but .. I have never seen one!

1helicopterppl
1st Jun 2011, 13:49
anybody got any pics of BKGG then ?

aeromys
1st Jun 2011, 15:15
Fondly remembered news report of an incident at Fairoaks involving G-OAMG, one of the Mann helis......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY84Ke3UYi0

Savoia
1st Jun 2011, 18:36
Intriguing!

I'm afraid the whole 'sheep dog flies 206 under instruction from shepherd at Fairoaks control tower' seems to have passed me by!

Any elaborations warmly welcome.

http://th07.deviantart.net/fs71/150/i/2011/020/e/b/pilot_dog_by_vitosvitou-d37mkwq.jpg

c53204
1st Jun 2011, 20:39
ZE411 109 from 8 Flight Army Air Corps (used to support 22SAS). I believe were refurbished at Alan Mann after being brought back from Falkland Islands.

Yellow one taken at Netheravon and in blue was at Heathrow - note no reg.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/62/191103053_9392a31fa4_m.jpg
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5065/5787896296_5ddf800ac3_m.jpg

Andy Healey
3rd Jun 2011, 13:16
Sav, it was a spoof news item on this brilliant Chris Morris piss-take of CNN and its endless appetite for stories. Prob 1986. Al Davis flew and Adrian Munday was in the tower (can't remember the other ATCO's name or recognise the shephard). I was languishing in hospital at the time or would surely have claimed the job -- I'm a much better actor than AD.

Savoia
3rd Jun 2011, 14:30
AH: Thanks for that!

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-UHBIzSadVx0/Tejk-6O1E6I/AAAAAAAADU4/IVVTe5BIvEU/206L1%252520II%252520Biggin%252520Hill%252520July%2525201989 %252520%252528Bill%252520Teasdale%252529.jpg
Bell 206L1 G-DALE at Biggin Hill in July 1989 (Photo: Bill Teasdale)

Another Mann-supplied early model 206L was the ubiquitous G-HBUS originally sold in November 1980 to loyal-Mann-client Willowbrook International. In '82 she moved on to another Mann client the Toleman Group (doubtless replacing their AB206 G-TPTR [formerly G-LOCK]). Evidently while with Toleman she suffered at least one (perhaps two) engine failures while hover-taxiing!

In '89 she is then sold to Dalend Ltd. and re-registered as G-DALE prior to being shipped back to the US in January 1990.

Despite her ubiquity there seem to be precious few images of HBUS!

CVR
3rd Jun 2011, 14:56
G-DALE became N720B of Omega Aviation based in Dublin, where it still remains to this day.

Andy Healey
6th Jun 2011, 13:29
Toleman Power Toleman Racing (dragged from the recesses) was written off in Cyprus I believe in 86.

Savoia
6th Jun 2011, 13:32
In October '79 Manfred Mann took delivery of one of the first AgustaBell 206B III's in the UK, G-LOCK, which went to client Lovaux in Bracknell.

Two years later the craft was sold to the Toleman Group in Brentwood when I think she sported a blue, white and orange motif and was re-registered as G-TPTR. A year after acquiring TPTR Toleman's traded-up to a 206L (G-HBUS) as mentioned on the previous page whereupon Mann's took her back and returned her to their black and yellow livery.

As has been mentioned previously (especially in the conversations surrounding G-FILM) and in the better days, Mann's had a fair slice of the UK filming business including their participation in the making of 'The Whistleblower' [1986] (some sort of spy film which I have never seen).

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-1fxAnCHEPxk/TezRF9gAEsI/AAAAAAAADbE/WoUII2zBNio/s640/Whistle_Blower_Helicopter1.jpg
Alan Mann's AB206B III G-TPTR landing at what I assume is Cheltenham racecouse c. 1985

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-HWSdxa63wco/TezROAoon0I/AAAAAAAADbI/9byCQYV21XM/s640/Whistle_Blower_Helicopter2.jpg
The actor Gordon Jackson trots away from TPTR after the landing

Are there any ex-Alan-Mann'ers willing to give-up the identity of the driver?

bolkow
6th Jun 2011, 13:49
I am aware that G-FILM was ex Irish Helicopters EI-AUI. Dont suppose you remember how many airframe hours it had racked up at the point it became G-FILM? Just curious. Flew in it a few times mysaelf way back when it was in Irish Service.

vfr440
6th Jun 2011, 14:39
S
The driver of 'TR appears to be a small young chap, so it might be our erstwhile Andy Healey; and if he reads this he needs to get his logbook out and check! :uhoh:

And if it wasn't him it might have been Dick something-or-other, who was also well known for arranging suppers-for-all at local eateries. Amd I cannot for the life of me remember his surname :ugh:(so tell me bout growing older) but, again, TRC is younger than me (well not a lot) but HE will ~ VFR

TRC
6th Jun 2011, 18:15
Andy,
TPTR came to grief at one of the motor testing tracks in the UK - can't remember which one. Are you thinking of BIZB that ended its days on Corfu?

VFR,
The pilot looks small in that pic because the stupid actor didn't shut the door and he's having to lean across and try to close it. I don't think it's our own AH, and it's not Dick Ball either,he had a dark beard - it might be Larry Marlow perhaps....

Andy Healey
7th Jun 2011, 13:20
You're right TRC, my mistake. I picked up BIZB in Italy with Gary Savage in Nov'82, my first foray to the continent as a civvie. I've just opened my logbook for the first time in 20 years and several subsequent pages find me taking its owner, Martin Butler, from his Herts home into Trig Lane. Now that was a chin-window approach.

As for the pic, not me. I had that Bobby Davro in the back of my helicopter, once. I've always wanted to say that.

Vizsla
7th Jun 2011, 13:49
Anyone remember Brian Danger who flew for the old man Ferranti from his gaff in Ireland ?

Savoia
10th Jun 2011, 05:09
Am starting to receive some rather good AMH images now.

These received today courtesy of celebrated Airliners photographer 'Wingnut'.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-wpEIjRDaDdQ/TfGbzj1nY2I/AAAAAAAADd8/EqkZN6VKyuo/s720/A109A%252520Fairoaks%252520June%2525201980%252520%252528Wing nut%252529.jpg
Barratt Developments Agusta A109A at Fairoaks in June 1980

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-hp0dMRCsouc/TfGbuoLwfxI/AAAAAAAADeE/GmfGguhC2ek/A109A%252520Anglian%252520Fairoaks%252520April%25252084%2525 20%252528Wingnut%252529.jpg
Anglian Windows Agusta A109A at Fairoaks in April 1981

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-YyUi0L_AqXY/TfGb2cG-zMI/AAAAAAAADeI/1ddhZ8bVrw8/A109A%252520Mk%252520II%252520I-DACD%252520Fairoaks%252520Sep%25252082%252520%252528Wingnut% 252529.jpg
Agusta SpA A109A MkII I-DACD visiting the 'Fair Oaks' in September 1982 en-route to Italia after the Farnborough show

CharlieOneSix
10th Jun 2011, 08:03
Re post #106 - Brian Danger. That really is gnawing at the grey cells. I met Brian on a couple of occasions in, I think, Inverness in the early/mid 1970's when he was crop spraying. Wasn't he the guy who had an engine failure in a RAF Whirlwind out in the Far East, was picked out of a jungle clearing by another Whirlwind which then crashed as well, caught fire, and Brian was badly burned? Or have I totally lost the plot and that was someone else.....?

Epiphany
10th Jun 2011, 09:08
After that I think I would have changed my name.

Savoia
13th Jun 2011, 11:44
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-MjdO3fLe2O4/TfXzRZUOErI/AAAAAAAADh4/UphlM5YstU4/Tarmac%252520A109C%252520Castle%252520Donington%252520%25252 8EMA%252529%2525201992%252520%252528Geoff%252520Davidson%252 529.jpg
Agusta 109 MkII (or C) VR-CCK at Castle Donington in 1992 (Photo: Geoff Davidson)

Due to its Cayman registration securing details of Tarmac's corporate mount is a little cumbersome. She was evidently imported from the US so I'm not even sure whether Mann's were involved .. though I suspect they probably were.

Does anyone happen to know in which year AMH lost the Agusta distributorship?

Andy Healey
13th Jun 2011, 14:43
Derek Mann (no relation) flew it and AMH looked after it. Don't recall when they lost Agusta but they won Bell at the same time.

vfr440
13th Jun 2011, 17:09
1994? (though I am certain someone will correct me if I am wrong) - VFR

Savoia
13th Jun 2011, 20:57
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-mSiAZ0y8sJw/TfZpveBMbnI/AAAAAAAADiU/SKgnTVodG9g/HBUS%252520HPC.jpg
G-HBUS (Photo courtesy of the Helipixman Collection)

Any offers as to where and when this image may have been taken?

Savoia
15th Jun 2011, 04:49
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-nPs5FKQfB-c/TfgGWl-wBCI/AAAAAAAADiw/DusHE2qsjEI/s800/augusta109afirst5lineupfairoaksanet.jpg
The UK's first five Agusta 109's. L-R: G-UPVC, G-OAMH, G-WEST, G-HWBK, G-HELY (Photo courtesy of Wingnut)

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Y4TEEqzHMCQ/TfgMz8SQ9wI/AAAAAAAADjw/0M1KVauMlxQ/John%252520Whitmore%252520talks%252520with%252520Alan%252520 Mann%252520at%252520the%2525202005%252520Revival%252520race% 252520meeting.%2525202.jpg
Old man Mann with John Whitmore at the 2005 Rally Revival meeting

Savoia
18th Jun 2011, 07:22
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-nnTKDXIE2Jo/TfxRYdyexvI/AAAAAAAADls/w8QDiB0wP7Y/s640/FI%25252027%252520Jul%25252072.jpg

helihub
20th Jun 2011, 22:50
Savoia - your HBUS photo sort of reminds me of the Derby at Epsom given the proximity of the double-decker bus. The loud-shouter on the scaffold could be right for that too??

Tarmac 109 - they flew this for some time as N109JD before it went to VR-CCK then VP-CCK when Cayman changed prefix. Think I'm right saying the boss at Essington Hall (Tarmac HQ) changed and 109 soon thereafter disposed of to Spain

Here's memory of some other 109s

- a pearlised white brought in new for a pharma(?) company based in Isleworth and I think the reg was N109##. This was a cancelled order from Australia or NZ (or even purchaser died before delivery?) and did not last long in UK

- another NZ link, no relation to above as far as I know, a really early one serial 7122 brought in from NZ as ZK-HBC (white and dark blue?) then painted all black as VR-CCO, flew little then stored in the back of the main fixed wing residents hangar with two blades removed to put it right against the back wall. had a couple of dark red stripes and a logo - like an Red Indian chief's head I think...

- N109AB - the John Laing one which later became G-JLCY "Juicy Lucy"
http://www.abpic.co.uk/images/images/1161849M.jpg

Savoia
21st Jun 2011, 13:27
Helihub thanks! :ok: Epsom Downs it is then as photographer 'Wingnut' (who has been supplying many of the recent 'Mann images') said: "I think this was probably taken at the Epsom Derby 1981-2."

Thanks also for the Laing 109 - had been searching for this. I remember seeing their 355 at the same hangar when collecting G-OIML for a charter sometime in the early 80's.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-6VkCt0WDpp8/TgCWPE21bMI/AAAAAAAADmI/VXjA0h_-szU/s512/AMAd%25252018%252520aug%25252079.jpg
One of Mann's ad's (from Flight '79). The ad makes reference to a 'Philip Greig' which is a new name to me

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-7u9oXEc8Lg8/TgCWdSbipeI/AAAAAAAADmQ/EBwe3TWbOs0/gbkewb206fairoaksanet.jpg
Bell 206B G-BKEW at Fairoaks. (Photo courtesy of Wingnut)

I know very little about BKEW other than that she seems to have been looked after by Mann's. She was registered to a Norman Foster in '82 and sometime thereafter seems to have been shipped-off to Germany.

One sees that G-ESAL is tucked-away in the hangar - seem to remeber Mark Langford coming up to Tilson Hall (the home of Alton Towers founder John Broome) c. 1982 with this aircraft but, by then John had already acquired an LII.

wiganairways
21st Jun 2011, 20:02
Sav.

G-BKEW is still on the register , registered 08/07/1982 , ex D-HDAD, still with Norman Foster, think she is now in a light grey colour scheme.

WA

Savoia
22nd Jun 2011, 08:24
Welcome back Wigan!

You are quite right, BKEW was imported from Germany as opposed to being exported there!

This throws-up an interesting observation in that there are now two or three craft involved with Mann's which seem to have come by way of Deutschland:

Peter Cadbury's D-HMAC which became G-CHOC in 1977
Charles Hughesdon'd D-HJFF which became G-BTWA in 1978
Norman Foster's D-HDAD which became G-BKEW in 1982

I have to admit that I'm not entirely sure as to whether Mann's were involved with HJFF/BTWA (the craft oft chartered by Estepo) for even though Hughesdon kept his craft with Mann's in the 70's it would seem as though he had moved to Hanson's by the early 80's.

Aside perhaps from someone at Mann's having an association with a German dealer one imagines that the number of German imports was simply down to their 206 population which, I am guessing, was one of the largest outside of the UK?

During the 70's Mann's must have sold more single-turbine civilian helicopters in the UK than anyone else and it would be no surprise to discover that they may have needed to supplement their Agusta-stock with craft from elsewhere.

The Alton Towers LongRanger was also an ex-German craft (D-HBBZ) but I think this came in via CSE - Paco would know.

Fareastdriver
22nd Jun 2011, 08:59
Re post #106 - Brian Danger. Wasn't he the guy who had an engine failure in a RAF Whirlwind out in the Far East, was picked out of a jungle clearing by another Whirlwind which then crashed as well, caught fire, and Brian was badly burned? Or have I totally lost the plot and that was someone else.....?

Brian had left the RAF a and was flying an piston engined S55 for Worldwide Helicopters in Brunei when he had his accident. He was rescued by another S55 which only just missed the wreckage of his helicopter when it crashed trying to take off. Both were, of course, loaded with Avgas so the fire was quite intense. I last saw him at Labuan when he was being casevaced in the back of an S62.

vfr440
23rd Jun 2011, 09:20
S
The comments about 'EW are all correct. NF owned BCWM and wanted to upgrade to a J/RIII, and Agusta couldn't deliver fast enough. So I was despatched to Germany to do the pre-purchase on what became BKEW. And yes, the colour scheme was changed c2000 to white and grey.

But your photo is intriguing. If you look behind the machine standing in the hangar doorway in his new, clean AMH 'ovies' is your own VFR. :ok: Little more hair than now, and big, black Michael Caine glasses.

Well, well, well :D -VFR

Savoia
23rd Jun 2011, 10:16
Captured!

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-y8ek21s80HA/TgMRazTHsJI/AAAAAAAADp4/_ZhTRLxfzUY/s512/VFR.jpg
VFR at the 'Oaks' replete with 'Michael Caine glasses'
G-BKEW on the ramp, G-ESAL in the shop

Now let's see if we can't track-down TRC!

LAS1997
23rd Jun 2011, 10:22
Who remembers John Acroyd-Hunt? I worked at Fairoaks (Ground Crew; then in Accounts) from 1982-1983 and remember him. One of my jobs as a junior was to open the post during the morning and 'Ackers' would some times join me. I remember him as a really nice guy; who sadly was killed in a Jetranger in 1986? Correct me if I am wrong with this date. Does anyone have information on the accident? I can not remeber the precise causes; but I was so sad to learn of his untimely death; at the time he was Alan's right hand man (no offence Chris Hobbs)

I have great memories of Fairoaks; for a 17 year old it was a great place to work; driving the fuel truck and refueling Jetrangers (some times rotors running) as well as Agusta 109's.

Savoia
23rd Jun 2011, 10:47
My only recollection of JAH is the occasion when he and a Mann-mechanic (which I thought was TRC but which may have been someone else) came to the rescue in G-BEHG (see page 3 (http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/443466-alan-mann-helicopters-nostalgia-thread-3.html)) to a ploughed field just south of Hethel (the Team Lotus base) when Colin Chapman's Bell 206 (G-AYTF) aka 'The Dancer' suffered an engine failure in the early 80's.

There was a little bit of local flying involved between the landing site, the farmer's house and a local pub where the Colonel had temporarily stationed himself and my enduring memory is of JAH flying about in his green Wellington boots!

I am also trying to remember the circumstances surrounding his sad demise. Was it the Grecian incident?

Savoia
24th Jun 2011, 19:08
Back in the day (mainly the 70's) when Mann's had a sizeable slice of both domestic and international film work it would seem that another one of their contributions was 'The Boys from Brazil' (1978) starring Gregory Peck, Laurence Olivier and James Mason.

This was the craft used:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-rNdo-5Jexgo/TgTacEIbm-I/AAAAAAAADqc/s_GHB4vUY8M/AVION_CGQVDB_IA.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-9VfNS3Lcj_A/TgTapACpByI/AAAAAAAADqg/cYfDCqG1OiU/AVION_CGQVDB_IC.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-mADkHVjxYsY/TgTa1kGZBmI/AAAAAAAADqk/XMTIVCwHflk/AVION_CGQVDB_ID.jpg

This was a Bell (as opposed to AgustaBell) but, aside from that one is at a loss to discover more because, as can been seen, the registration has been painted over. Why they didn't use the same colour as the remainder of the fuselage I don't know. Perhaps the director thought that a white regtangle would look smart!

Any offers as to when (one assumes 1977), where, the craft and driver?

It seems as though there may be need to compile an Alan Mann filmography!

exdesigner
24th Jun 2011, 23:20
After reading this thread (again) I just had to join in i'm afraid. Like many long serving AM people I have many fond memories of people, helicopters and events centered around the AMH home. I hope to contribute in some intersting way in future. Nothing else to add right now but I sure will be looking through old photos etc to hopefully add some things of interest. Keep up the great work guys (and girls?).

helihub
24th Jun 2011, 23:45
The pilot who flew for "The Boys in Brazil" is not mentioned in the long list of credits on IMDB (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077269/fullcredits#cast).

As to which JetRanger this was, there were not many Bell-built JetRanger IIs in the Mann fleet at that time, and I don't have photos to know whether G-BAUM and G-BBEU were both in yellow/white - these being the only two registered in AMH name at the time, although it's of course v.feasible that they operated 206s registered in other people's names. In 1976 BAUM was still in caramel colours like this...

http://www.abpic.co.uk/images/images/1049755M.jpg

Savoia
25th Jun 2011, 06:12
Savoia wrote: Now let's see if we can't track-down TRC!
Then I remembered ...

TRC wrote: I've just looked back at the photos of TALY, and I am ashamed to admit that it's me doing the unmentionable thing with the hose (no idea what though). I'm also looking in the P2 door a couple of pictures later. I look like something out of Fleetwood Mac.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-BtCXaICJ8fM/TgVuBBAcUBI/AAAAAAAADrU/Ivuc3RIlPcI/29.jpg
TRC avin' a larf!

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-nCiPcBPjKzY/TgVt0-AIyBI/AAAAAAAADrQ/n4gLxVlmKdQ/30.jpg
TRC studiously preparing TALY for the Duke

Savoia wrote: It seems as though there may be need to compile an Alan Mann filmography!

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-QJSWQqslzbo/TgVwx8-QO7I/AAAAAAAADrc/qyZYvn-uNJg/s800/AM%252520Films.png

This is a start, quite a few blanks to be filled-in and doubtless more films and series to be added - any contributions (large or small) welcomed.

Not entirely sure whether 'The Run of the Country' belongs in the list. JCB wasn't registered to Mann's at the time of filming and I don't know whether TRC was still with them in the 90's but I'm sure we'll find out.

Of the film (Run of the Country) TRC wrote:

I remember it well. We had to fly up and down just inside the Irish border painted to look like a British Army helicopter. Not ideal really.....

We were delayed leaving Ireland by a day, so to get the machine back in time for its next job we went direct Dundalk Bay to Wallasey - 120 nm. At 61 miles to run, the ENG CHIP light came on. Floats fitted but no bottles installed. Me and him in immersion suits, five-man dinghy, flares, etc.. Conversation was a little stilted.

We turned towards Valley where the Sea King lives. When asked to continue not above something uncomfortably low for the last few miles, they kindly raised the circuit height of the swarm of Hawks and we landed to the massed blue lights of the airfield fire service.

The chip was, of course, a whisker - but as far as we were concerned it might have had a full part number on it. The last Eng Chip that he had resulted in he engine stopping 15 seconds later.

We had to night stop at Valley because they couldn't raise even a RAF plod to do the necessary Special Branch stuff.
ExDesigner: Welcome to the thread. There are a number of readers of this and the Nostalgia Thread who possess images (both physical and mental) of the subjects we are prattling on about and I would encourage you to contribute whatever you can. For me personally any contribution of information or material is profoundly welcome and extremely useful in assisting to compile the narrative which will be posted onto the tribute site we are building which will cover both Ferranti and Alan Mann helicopters.

HeliHub: Well done. You are quite right it could only have been BAUM or BBEU at that time and one knows for a fact that BBEU wore the Mann motif so I'm going with that as the entrant for 'The Boys from Brazil'!

Savoia
25th Jun 2011, 07:05
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-KEmc3ocwzxY/TgX9Kp0kPTI/AAAAAAAADsg/Ruxf1XsJALs/omc%252520logo2.png

These are the ex-Alan Mann'ers on PPRuNe (that we know of):

Andy Healey (http://www.pprune.org/members/81436-andy-healey)
ExDesigner (http://www.pprune.org/members/361524-exdesigner)
Geoffersincornwall (http://www.pprune.org/members/8690-geoffersincornwall)
LAS1997 (http://www.pprune.org/members/280425-las1997)
NJT (http://www.pprune.org/members/352456-njt)
TRC (http://www.pprune.org/members/151282-trc)
VFR440 (http://www.pprune.org/members/288265-vfr440)

vfr440
25th Jun 2011, 13:49
S
You need TRC to fill in teh gaps; he's done LOTS of filming. Aside from many other things...................! ;) -VFR

TRC
25th Jun 2011, 14:32
It was me with JA-H in BEHG that day. He was not involved in the 'Grecian Incident' (Do you mean Corfiot btw?)

The Boys from Brazil was shot in Portugal. I flew with Nigel Thornton in G-BBEU from Fairoaks to Lisbon.

Your filmography is missing some other facts that I can fill in -

High Road to China, the aircrew were Nigel Thornton, Paul Midgeley and John Ackers.

The Run of the Country, the 206 was flown to and from Ireland by Johnny Crewdson. MW did the action flying and filming with a Wescam on the same 206. (Incidentally, I can't think of any connection with this event or aircraft with AMH.)

NJT is missing from The Old Mann's Club membership list. He is back to the camera in the photo of TALY in post 128.

Savoia
25th Jun 2011, 15:49
So it was you with Ackers to the rescue - Bravo!

Thanks for all the various info re: film work. NJT now added to the OMC.

A revised filmography below:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-fCLpD3RL4tA/TgYMUUmuXtI/AAAAAAAADtE/lUiZQ5ly93Y/s800/am%252520films3.png

There are doubtless numerous additional films and TV series to be added and which we shall do as the info rolls in.

HeliHub mentioned G-BAUM ..

Registered to 'Fairoaks Aviation' in '73, bought by Blair & Co. '74, then to Shawline in '77 and finally to PLM in '78.

While with PLM (and not the be outdone by her former company Bell 206 BBEU) she 'starred' in a the film 'Death Watch' (1980) below:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-UPWsPepav2Q/TgX98AP4boI/AAAAAAAADsw/AdsiXu63vDE/AVION_HELICO_AB_LMED.jpg
HeliHub's G-BAUM (operated by PLM) featuring in the movie 'Death Watch' which starred Romy Schneider and Harvey Keitel

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-cAGZa8vKW1Q/TgX-LtDYbfI/AAAAAAAADs0/xjoDK-DqjV4/Death%252520Watch.jpg
The film featued two 206's the second being G-BUZZ which, at the time of filming, was registered to Western Air of Glasgow. (More info needed on that lot Wigan!)

TRC
25th Jun 2011, 15:58
A revised filmography below:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-GPWrZR6PVoM/TgX86mLD5kI/AAAAAAAADsc/PoF4GvrLTuc/s800/am%252520films2.png

It was J. Crewdson Jnr - known as Johnny... and it is Ackroyd (I think)..

G-FILM appeared in at least one episode of The Professionals as did both G-BGGX & G-BGGY.

G-FILM also starred in a Schweppes commercial shot on Chobham Common.

Several more, but can't remember the details..

wiganairways
26th Jun 2011, 08:06
Death Watch.
Seems the film location was round the Glasgow area 1980, Finnieston is mentioned on a web site, this is round the corner from the present day site of the Bond's Glasgow heliport, as for the two JR's, BAUM was with PLM 1/78 until dereg as destroyed 5/84, (lifting operation accident), BUZZ, with Western Air (Scotland) Partners Ltd., 4/78 to 8/82, also had WOSP 11/78 to 9/81.

One with an Alan Mann connection, 4/75 to 7/75, BDBR, which was used in the great film, Local Hero by PLM Helicopters

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3080/5870699422_79e709cd8d_z.jpg
with KNOX names
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3188/5870140209_3a6d76a463.jpg
Anybody for the drivers name?
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3247/5870698942_af52dff354_z.jpg
locals wave goodbye
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5231/5870140513_b55d86d548_z.jpg
never mind the actor, good pilot view
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5234/5870699222_c0ffcc80cb_z.jpg
with the famous red phone box
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5231/5870699350_b4a1a9cb17_z.jpg
Bye Bye

WA

TRC
26th Jun 2011, 08:33
Anybody for the drivers name?

Looks like John Poland to me.....

CharlieOneSix
26th Jun 2011, 10:49
Agreed - definitely John Poland.

wiganairways
26th Jun 2011, 11:59
Yes, John Poland and even gets a mention on the cast list, must have been a 'PLUM' job!

Having breakfast
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3083/5872708600_f615b92cb6_z.jpg
well at least he got fed
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5073/5872152289_2f538e01f3_z.jpg
and he wasn't last on the list.

WA

Savoia
26th Jun 2011, 18:46
Well done Wigan! :ok:

So who were Western Air - was this a pre-Clyde manifestation?

Re: John Poland, never met him but he shares the same name as the best man at my first wedding! He could almost get away with being a young Bill Nighy - poor chap! ;) Also glad to see that I wasn't the only one who restricted himself to three-bars back in the days when I flew commercially.

Brgds

wiganairways
27th Jun 2011, 10:18
Sav.

Western Air seemed to have started in 1976 with a Brantly B2B, G-WASP ( ex G-ASXE ), registered to Sims, Automatics, Glasgow, Sims is a supplier of friut machines,gaming machines, pool tables etc. and are still around today,in 1977 G-WASP, - as it were - changed hands, to Donald S. McGillivray,Elizabeth A. McGillivray and Walter Glen, ( the partners ),T/A Western Air (Scotland) Partners Ltd, from the same address as Sims, WASP lasted from 2/77 to 11/81, this was joined by Jet Ranger G-BUZZ, ( WASP, BUZZ ),in 4/78, lasting until 8/82, next was G-
WOSP, Western Air (Scotland) Partners, T/A WASP Helicopter Hire from 11/78 to 9/81, when it went to Burnthills Aviation Ltd.,don't know of anything after 1982, but I'll have a dig about, but would seem they quit the helicopter hire business about that time.

Wigan

Ahh de Havilland
28th Jun 2011, 18:27
John Poland was the P in PLM, who along with Laing and Mackenzie were among the shareholders and directors.

Ahh de Havilland
28th Jun 2011, 18:55
Wasp was headed by Don McGillivray and operated G-CHIC Hughes 269 in addition to G-WASP, G-BUZZ & G-WOSP. Don also had a Campbell Cricket (G-AYHH) which was replaced by G-WASP.

G-CHIC was regn to Wasp on 31.7.79 but crashed soon after on 13.11.79 near Betws-y-Coed when it struck trees shortly after t/o. The pilot died from a fractured skull as he was not wearing a crash helmet.

I am not sure but I think the pilot killed in G-CHIC was Don McGillivray, as the MD changed from Don to Elizabeth McGillivray.

Wasp were based to quote Flight in a small hangar behind an industrial estate in north Glasgow, and all the aircraft were regn to the same Glasgow address as Sims Automations so there may be a financial link.

Savoia
28th Jun 2011, 19:21
De Havilland, I must say that I greatly enjoy your posts, you always manage to provide thoroughly interesting information.

Within minutes of your post on John Poland's association with PLM, Tarman was adding complimentary information over on Nostalgia. I had always wondered what the acronym stood for.

TRC
28th Jun 2011, 21:19
Aren't we indulging in severe thread drift here?

This is the AMH thread isn't it?

exdesigner
29th Jun 2011, 21:11
Ref post from c53204 on 01/06. Are we going to say any more about the ZE cabs? AMH were involved with them for some time so there must be some interesting stuff out there or should we leave them in peace now that they are retired. I have info on paint schemes and a couple of pictures if we are happy to further this one.
Does anyone have any info on G-HUEY which is the UH-1D that came back from the Falklands and was sponsored by the RIAT for a while. I remember it being with AMH for a while under some sort of maintenance deal.

Savoia
30th Jun 2011, 06:20
I'm sure it would be of interest to learn more about Mann's involvement with the Army 109's. Did they ever pitch-up at Fairoaks for maintenance?

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-luUWKDAH8_0/TgwFCVSUtvI/AAAAAAAADvg/VSQyK9f1rmM/Frequent%25252080s%252520visitor%252520to%252520Ringway.jpg
G-BCWM/N cited by the photographer as being a frequent visitor to Manchester's Ringway during the 80's

Savoia
9th Jul 2011, 06:17
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-TCPewEJVBRU/ThfuDfYOmGI/AAAAAAAAD3w/Kj9K-4BqGU0/Terence%252520Murphy%252520%252528centre%252529%252520ferry% 252520to%252520UK%252520July%25252075.jpg
Terence Murphy (wearing the neckerchief - centre) collecting AgustaBell 206B G-BDFD from Agusta in June 1975

BDFD's tenure at Mann's was brief indeed having being delivered in June and then flown back across the Channel in July to take up residence in her new home, France.

exdesigner
11th Jul 2011, 15:40
Hi guys. please help. After the request about the ZE machines I saw some pictures posted along with a couple of write-ups but I can't find them now. I am having finger trouble here or have I lost it?!

Savoia
11th Jul 2011, 16:38
Ex-D: The discussion on the ex-AAC 109s was split from this thread and is now here (http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/456127-8-flight-aac-109s.html).

Sav

exdesigner
11th Jul 2011, 19:16
thanks to Savoia for the link to the new thread.

Savoia
14th Jul 2011, 05:56
TRC wrote: G-FILM appeared in at least one episode of The Professionals as did both G-BGGX & G-BGGY.
Plus, I believe, G-BCWM/N below:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-tPaVTGe4fN0/Th6CG7Zr0RI/AAAAAAAAD6M/3Hwg5PGL-zw/PRO_4_07_JetRanger%252520professionals%252520series%2525204. jpg
Mann's G-BCWM/N appearing in episode 4 of the Professionals c. late 1970's

Savoia
3rd Aug 2011, 06:45
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-0C_-noDUNDM/TjjqENbjxgI/AAAAAAAAEWY/pNUzhAG0QHY/s512/figures_in_a_landscape.jpg

Am trying to establish whether Mann's were involved in the filming of the movie 'Figures in a Landscape' (1970).

The pilot is credited as being one Gilbert Chomat who's other filming credits include: The Longest Day, The Sound of Music and Murphy's War.

Does his name ring any bells?

Shots from the movie:

http://www.rotaryaction.com/images/figlands.jpg

http://www.imfdb.org/w/images/thumb/f/f2/Figures1892_5.jpg/600px-Figures1892_5.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3102/2513836516_38db2322b5.jpg

From the poster it seems as if the aircraft wore an 'XZ' prefix.

TRC
3rd Aug 2011, 12:23
From the poster it seems as if the aircraft wore an 'XZ' prefix..... Shots from the movie..

... show that it has an Astazou engine. That rules it out as being neither a British Army machine or G-FILM. These were Artouste powered. The Army Alouettes were XR I think.

Another clue to Mann's non-involvement is that if the film was dated 1970, which is 10 years or so before G-FILM was aquired by them.

The names of the pilot and the aerial camera operator sound rather French to me too ...

The film is set in South America (but shot in Spain). The national mark for Mexico is XA - maybe XZ was a bit of poetic licence by the art department - it wouldn't be the first time.

Savoia
19th Aug 2011, 16:13
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-xIyKvlW2F8A/Tk6FWeZKS-I/AAAAAAAAEiA/Rt2NFm3k10E/s800/A109A%252520I-CDMV%252520Farnborough%252520Sep%25252076%252520%252528Chris %252520Lisney-Smith%252529.jpg
Early 109A demonstrator I-CDMV is towed at Farnborough in Septmeber 1976 (Photo: Chris Lisney-Smith)

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-eoqeuqIhSro/Tk6FabDcOdI/AAAAAAAAEiE/0VJZ0v_qQFs/A109A%252520I-CVMD%252520Cranfield%2525208%252520Sep%25252079%252520%25252 8Ray%252520Barber%252529.jpg
Agusta 109A demonstrator I-CVMD seen at Cranfield on 8th September 1979 (Photo: Ray Barber)

This 'A' model demonstrator attended the 1979 Cranfield Show along with the LongRanger I-CDVM (http://www.pprune.org/6486420-post92.html) and is seen wearing Mann's sticker on the passenger door. During the show I accompanied my godfather in this aircraft while one the Agusta jocks invited him to pole the craft about the Cranfield vicinity.

lemonchiffon

315B
19th Aug 2011, 17:49
... show that it has an Astazou engine. That rules it out as being neither a British Army machine or G-FILM. These were Artouste powered. The Army Alouettes were XR I think.
The film was shot in Sierra Nevada (Spain). Could have been either AWEE or AWAP..
http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/5782/unled1ah.png
http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/5529/5909205842cb23e29142b.jpg

TRC
20th Aug 2011, 09:59
The film was shot in Sierra Nevada (Spain). Could have been either AWEE or AWAP..

I doubt it - with a French pilot and camera operator it's more than likely to have been a French helicopter.

In any case, there would have been no Mann's involvement.

Brian Rose
15th Sep 2011, 17:48
"I sent someone"...?
Oh well, that's what comes of being a mere cameraman, rather than a helicopter pilot or engineer I suppose.
I spent many happy days at AMA, working with Peter Allwork and the guys in helicopters. Peter was an amazing cameraman and could work magic, but for that matter, so were the pilots who (when I was shooting) did most of the work.
Brian Rose

TRC
15th Sep 2011, 18:39
Brian, are you talking about the "Ginger Assassin"?

15th Sep 2011, 19:28
And 254 i was there during 1998 to 2003

TRC
15th Sep 2011, 19:39
Re. post 32. Brian, The penny has just dropped.. sorry.

It was you that went and got the weird but effective hydraulic pump wasn't it.

I'd forgotten who it was. Well well...

Brian Rose
15th Sep 2011, 21:19
Yes, I forgot that name! Peter had a somewhat short fuse, his favorite remark seemed to be (especially when a camera or cable went down) "I don't f*****g believe it!" We all had a lot of fun together.
Aerial filming seems to have changed a lot from the times of side mounts and flying with the doors off. Funnily enough, we were discussing this in another forum (Guild of Television Cameramen) and the health and safety implications of non qualified people installing camera mounts. On that particular Professionals shoot, I seem to remember the Assistant Director insist that I hurried up with the installation. We simply told him that unless it was done OUR way, we don't fly. Then the stupid bugger nearly walked into the tail rotor.
Oh happy days!

Savoia
16th Sep 2011, 18:06
A TV Film released in 1987 in which Mann's G-TPTR appeared along with another (doubtless Mann-related) 206.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-FD5faG4oKvE/TnON0mUSwwI/AAAAAAAAE7c/-3WjzcVglDI/TPTR%252520Stillcrazylikeafox239vg2.jpg
Agusta-Bell 206B JetRanger G-TPTR departs the Fair Oaks during the filming of 'Still Crazy Like a Fox' c. 1986

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-q4IMYtnoeyk/TnONzVsr4BI/AAAAAAAAE7U/JWfedNiBG9I/Stillcrazylikeafox241cx2%252520TPTR%252520in%252520chase.jpg
TPTR in pursuit of a Stampe!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-i-Z5Hii09CQ/TnONz6ZoxQI/AAAAAAAAE7Y/x9-oRGe2lyM/Stillcrazylikeafox244ys4.jpg
An 'unknown' 206 (with distinctly 'Laura Ashlean' colours) lands in the grounds of what seems to be Leeds Castle

rA1iZLB3ZIs
A clip from the 'Like a Fox' masterpiece (not!) with the flying taking place at around 5:40

Alan Mann Filmography
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-HP9rJNYtwdA/TnOOBpHnKYI/AAAAAAAAE7M/DCn73QsZ7wc/s800/AMF%252520Sep%25252011.png

Any clues as to the crews of the two 206's in 'Like a Fox' as well as the registration of the 206 with the RAF roundel - much appreciated.

TRC
16th Sep 2011, 18:35
'TR is being flown by RV. Interesting that it is rigged with a nose camera mount and a Continental side mount for the action sequences.

The grey 206 (in very much Ashley colours) is being flown by AD.

Savoia
17th Sep 2011, 13:19
TRC thanks for that info. :ok:

Hopefully we will be able to track down some further Mann-made films!

Regarding the 'other' 206 .. it didn't really require that much investigation, just a browse back to page 4 (http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/443466-alan-mann-helicopters-nostalgia-thread-4.html) where Laura Ashley's 206 debuted .. and one can clearly see that its G-BMKM.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/__dRpfF8qlVM/TZtnvlJ7B2I/AAAAAAAAClY/La3-vdcWiZQ/G-BMKM%20Brussels%201986.jpg
Laura Ashley's 'Mann-managed' 206 as used in the film 'Crazy Like a Fox' - albeit without the pop-outs or roundel!

TRC wrote: Interesting that it is rigged with a nose camera mount and a Continental side mount for the action sequences.

.. And I'm guessing that this equipment may have been interchaned with 'KM' for some of the scenes with the Stampe and TPTR?

Brian Rose wrote: I spent many happy days at AMA, working with Peter Allwork and the guys in helicopters.

A wee reminder of the late G-FILM:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-0xpru7vNcwI/TnSauMptdYI/AAAAAAAAE70/vhU3X-epTag/SA%252520313B%252520Alouette%252520II%252520Fairoaks%252520J ul%25252081%252520%252528Wingnut%252529.jpg
Alan Mann's SE313B Alouette II G-FILM at Fairoaks in July 1981 (Photo: Courtesy of Wingnut)

heli1
18th Sep 2011, 09:57
The sad remains of TPTR now lie at The Helicopter Museum ,too far gone for sensible restoration but maybe a panel worth saving in view of its film history !.

Savoia
18th Sep 2011, 15:29
A summary from the accident reports reads:

A vehicle was being filmed on a test track and the helicopter was flown alongside to the left at 50ft agl at an IAS of 40kts. The surface wind was reported to be 240° at 15kts.

Following a short period flying sideways in front of the vehicle, the captain turned right, down wind, in order to pass down the right hand side of the vehicle. The aircraft started to sink and, despite turning into wind and applying full power, the captain was unable to arrest the rate of descent. Full collective pitch was applied to cushion the touchdown and the aircraft landed in a level attitude on soft ground.

When it came to rest, on its left side, the captain shut down the engine and turned off the electrics. Both occupants, who were uninjured, vacated the aircraft.

The captain considered that a vortex ring condition may have developed, from which he had insufficient height to recover.

Accident Date: 1st March 1989

Accident Location: Nuneaton, Warwickshire

G-TPTR Accident Summary (http://www.aaib.gov.uk/cms_resources.cfm?file=/Augusta%20Bell%20206B,%20G-TPTR%2005-89.pdf)

vfr440
18th Sep 2011, 22:13
I went to the site with loss-adjusters. Visually the aircraft looked just a little 'bent' but I was wary. Rightly so, as it turned out; there was an uncorrectable 10 deg of twist and distortion in the airfrrame (longituduanally) when mounted in our repair fixture (jig) at manns.

Total loss agreed. Pity since she was a good machine and trouble-free (if any helicopter can be so described) But thanks S for the official summary - I hadn't read it before now - VFR

Savoia
23rd Sep 2011, 16:34
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-9WS63hyEhT4/Tnyy504-y4I/AAAAAAAAE_A/Xr_hJCeHdn4/A109A%252520Mk%252520II%252520G-HBCA%252520Birmingham%252520Int%2525205%252520Sep%2525201986 %252520%252528Paul%252520Massey%252529.jpg
Agusta 109A Mk II G-HBCA at Birmingham International Airport on 5th September 1986 (Photo: Courtesy of Paul Massey)

HBCA was bought from Mann's in November 1985 and sold on to ADT Aviation at the beginning of 1989. This ship doubtless replaced BCA's LongRanger G-TBCA - formerly a Ferranti-managed craft.

Savoia
16th Oct 2011, 13:13
G-HBUS debuted on page 6 (http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/443466-alan-mann-helicopters-nostalgia-thread-6.html) courtesy of Helipixman's collection wearing Mann's colours while flying in to Epsom. But in the colours below is how I remember her:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-sIONU7PXqPQ/TprSzvoNs4I/AAAAAAAAFRk/RTib1I7zti4/s640/HBUS%252520Brands%252520Hatch%252520HPC.jpg
Bell 206LI G-HBUS at Brands Hatch c. early 80's

Toleman Transporters (I think they mainly transported cars) bought Mann's 206 G-TPTR (formerly G-LOCK) in August '81 trading-up to G-HBUS in July the following year. HBUS had previously been owned by Willowbrook coach builders.

I don't recall whether Toleman had a dedicated driver or if they simply utilised Mann's pool, either way I used to hear the craft regularly on the airwaves in the early 80's and saw her many-a-time at Fairoaks.

Other characters (barely visible) in this shot are: A BA S76 (behind HBUS) and in the lower park (l-r) G-BAKF, G-ROGR, a Bristow 206 and a Hanson 206 further behind.

Savoia
16th Nov 2011, 12:58
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-t3LbBtvAQlQ/TsO-ZV5_DrI/AAAAAAAAGVo/vkblEsQfb1M/s800/A109A%252520MkII%252520VP-CCK%252520Fairoaks%25252027%252520Sep%25252097%252520%252528 Barry%252520Collman%252529.jpg
Tarmac's Agusta 109A MkII VP-CCK at the Mannstead on 27th September 1997 (Photo: With thanks to Barry Collman for his kind permission to use this image)

Joining Mann's 'construction 109's' would have been N109AB, John Laing's 109 II an image of which can be seen on page 6 (http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/443466-alan-mann-helicopters-nostalgia-thread-6.html).

Geoffersincornwall
18th Nov 2011, 09:39
I had the pleasure of working as Niki's personal pilot for 6 months in 1982 during which he presented me with these ........ did anyone else manage to get hold of a set?

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6223/6357573165_067b32122e_z.jpg

Geoffersincornwall
19th Nov 2011, 11:41
Between 1st and 5th March 1979 I had the pleasure of ferrying not one but two new Agusta-Bell 206Bs from Frosinone (near Rome) to Fairoaks. Sorry about the yellow caste on the photos.

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6240/6362682015_a06718192d_z.jpg

Chris Hodgkinson was on gardening leave from his VC10 billet in BA and was recruited to fly BGGY whilst I flew BGGX.

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6041/6362690999_4136f2b887_z.jpg

First stop was Milan via Genoa to meet Brian and collect export certificates. Then on to Lugano, Geneva, Lyon, Troyes, Beauvais and LGW to clear customs.

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6220/6362685151_eb87da3d9f_z.jpg

Note the sophisticated local mod for the radio installation. No heater, no nav equipment (no GPS!!) - all completion work carried out by AMH.

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6232/6362688617_130876ab6e_z.jpg

Spectacular crossing of the Alps

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6115/6362689539_945128102c_z.jpg

A quiet night was had by all - en route R & R. Local businessman and PPL student Brian Beale joined us in Milan to help with the nav and ration the red wine.

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6033/6362692641_158326bc8c_z.jpg

Safe arrival at Fairoaks.

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6034/6362694419_6fb13901a2_z.jpg

Savoia
19th Nov 2011, 11:56
Geoffers many thanks for this contribution, most enjoyable. :D

Geoffersincornwall
19th Nov 2011, 13:37
This was Niki's own 206 purchased in 1982 and retained its original blue and white colour-scheme (ex Toleman's I believe) with the addition of the gold AM monogram. When it came back to UK at the end of 1982 it was repainted in these 'proper' AMH colours.

The picture was taken at the new Athens Heliport built by Niki in conjunction with Athen Aviation Services (Lakis Stergiopoulos) at some later date when either Chris Snape or Paul Hardcastle needed a leave relief.

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6235/6362985929_b8fee35d2c_z.jpg

Geoffersincornwall
24th Nov 2011, 09:17
This the brochure that AMH were dishing out in 1978.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7008/6395680179_d225412abc_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7141/6395681269_526e61caec_z.jpg

G. :)

Geoffersincornwall
25th Nov 2011, 08:06
This gold wire badge featured on yellow baseball caps and Rain Jackets. Another of Niki's extravagances.

G.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7152/6398830007_ba439b0078_z.jpg

vfr440
25th Nov 2011, 08:46
G
I've got one of those too :D (Happy (good) times) - VFR

Savoia
25th Nov 2011, 09:36
Well done Geoffers! :ok:

I remember the brochure well.

Would you be able to give us an idea of your taskings ex-Athens. Were these assignments purely for Niki Papadakis or was there a charter/commercial element as well?

Also, you were with Mann's during an important period in their history you must have some interesting stories involving clients etc.

And finally, old man Mann - what he much involved in the day-to-day running of things? I never saw him around the Mannstead (Savage seemed to be the main continuity during my years of exposure).

I ask because of the info I am gathering on Alan Mann for the site we are building which will recount their history.

With thanks.

Geoffersincornwall
25th Nov 2011, 10:47
Yes I have many tales to tell but I'm not sure that PPrune is the right place to tell them - can't afford the lawyers these days.

I think that it would be wrong to imagine that 'out of sight is out of mind' when it comes to Alan's oversight of AMH. I reckon he had a pretty good grip on things. I found him a great man to work for and one that was easy to respect.

When I look back over 42 years in the business my two and half years at AMH were the best fun. Not always smooth sailing and definitely not well paid but every day was different and every trip a challenge. My mate Gazza was always very supportive and folk like NPT, Paul Midgers, Ackers etc made it a great place to work.

On the whole maintenance was excellent with Roy and Chris very able and Tom et al great fun to work with. One unfortunate hydraulic failure (ex-Battersea) in a 206 and a few hot batteries and chips but apart from my 'adventure' with Norman Foster in the Bell 47 nothing to write much about. Well, not in these pages anyway!!!

G :E

CharlieOneSix
25th Nov 2011, 13:57
Back in early 1975 there was an accident at AMH with an in-flight breakup of a Bell 47 which resulted in the death of an ex-RN QHI and his female student. I had been at AMH shortly before this as I was flying one of their 206's, G-BBBM, for a few days and had chatted to the 47 pilot just before he got airborne on that trip.

I cannot remember his name - anyone know it? I think Peter was his first name and maybe his surname began with F?

Geoffersincornwall
25th Nov 2011, 14:35
Before my time but seem to remember that an AMH B206 broke up in flight with some of the Plessey directors on board round about that time. The Peter F. rings a bell. - excuse the pun. Never heard about a B47 breaking up but one of our students managed to total 'RI' on the sloping ground one day - maybe that's where the B47 crash story came from?

G.

The Nr Fairy
25th Nov 2011, 14:41
I think the Plessey report is this one from the AAIB archives (http://www.aaib.gov.uk/cms_resources.cfm?file=/6-1975%20G-AXAY.pdf).

And the Bell 47 breakup, is it this one, also from the archives ? (http://www.aaib.gov.uk/cms_resources.cfm?file=/17-1976%20G-BBKP.pdf)

CharlieOneSix
25th Nov 2011, 15:36
Nr Fairy - that 47 report is the accident I was after! I didn't realise the AAIB reports went back that far. Just cannot place the pilot's name - quite a tall thin guy.

Savoia
25th Nov 2011, 17:31
At that point in British executive/corporate rotary aviation there had been remarkably few dramatic fatalities of this nature (probably the closest incident was three years earlier when G-AXAY (on contract to Plessey) came apart above Inkpen Hill near Hungerford).
As mentioned (above) on the Ferranti thread, G-AXAY was a particularly unpleasant episode and I remember my godfather sharing with me the conjecture among the rotary fraternity in '74. There had been speculation as to whether the pilot's briefcase (stowed atop the instrument panel) had played a part in the dramatic loss of control. Can anyone remember the name of the pilot who flew AXAY on that unfortunate day?

The Plessey contract seems to have done the rounds with Bristow using a 206 for some time then, one assumes Mann had it for a while. Ferranti also served this contract (for about two years if I remember correctly).

Sadly I have never been able to obtain a clear shot of AXAY .. indeed the best I can do is her yellow tailpiece (below) behind another 206:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-whCrXH0ySLw/Ts-5aCe4lBI/AAAAAAAAGfs/eML1GtJmT2M/s305/GU%252520Greenham%252520Common%252520July%2525201973.jpg
G-AXAY (behind another 206) in July 1973

vfr440
25th Nov 2011, 18:26
Sav
Very sad event. Engineer here, would 'rotor oscillation = mast 'bumping' in engineer-speak? In which cass it's terminal - VFR

Geoffersincornwall
25th Nov 2011, 18:32
We had a particularly bad spell in the late 70s early 80s with too many casualties in the charter fleet. Nigel Thornton, and John Ackroyd-Hunt were followed by Tim Ridgeway (once our superb ops officer) in a fixed wing accident, then the loss of Colin Bates and Spotty Mulhern heaped tragedy upon the sadness.

G. :{

Savoia
25th Nov 2011, 20:18
VFR wrote: .. would 'rotor oscillation = mast 'bumping' ..

Are you referring to the report on G-AXAY? In which case I would need to go through it. How they would be able to determine mast bumping by any means other than scoring on the upper portion of the mast itself I don't know but fully agree that if this occurred .. there would have been no hope as the deflection required to achieve 'bumping' in flight would doubtless despatch the boom post haste.

Geoffers, some great guys there. John Ackyroyd-Hunt along with PPRuNe's own TRC arrived in a ploughed field in Norfolk to rescue the Colonel and I after an engine failure in Colin Chapman's 206. He was flying with large green 'Wellies' and which I thought was hilarious at the time.

Flew several times with Colin (including in Hanson's 76) but most memorably in ex-Ferranti 206 G-AZZB when he gave me the same base check he had just performed on my godfather. So (apparently) impressed he was that he offered to buy me a drink at the local on the way home - despite the fact that I was under age at the time lol!

Spotty was of course ex-Ferranti and, to bring the story full-circle I must pay tribute to the late Hugh Lovett who perished in Ferranti's G-AVSN at the 1977 Biggin Hill Airshow and which incident I was referring to in my quote from post #183 above when I also mentioned G-AXAY.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-dOd9TSVf53c/TtAAuo0tyyI/AAAAAAAAGgI/pTnQt4lv65I/s182/Hugh%252520Lovett.jpg
The late Hugh Lovett (RIP)

Commissioned into the Queen's Own Hussars in 1964 from Sandhurst, passed through the Army pilot's course in 1967 and flew with the Queen's Own Hussars Air Squadron on active service in Aden and in the Trucial Oman States. Attended the QHI course in 1969 and instructed at the School of Army Aviation, Middle Wallop, until 1971. Joined Ferranti Helicopters in 1975.

Geoffers, back to Mann's. Greece - was the work there purely private assignments for Papadakis?

NJT
25th Nov 2011, 20:22
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Pjt9KW0H51s/Ts9IoeFY6QI/AAAAAAAAAAw/7tT9uiL5U5w/s512/AM3.jpg

Savoia
25th Nov 2011, 20:25
Go on then NJT, explain what the heck you 'Alan Manners' were getting up to!

NJT
25th Nov 2011, 21:00
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/--toXbZkQ0dc/Ts9Iq_Ti1ZI/AAAAAAAAAA0/y3erIUO0aKs/s512/AM3_0002.jpg?gl=GB

TRC
25th Nov 2011, 21:02
....an in-flight breakup of a Bell 47 which resulted in the death of an ex-RN QHI....
It was Peter Faulkes

who remembers this one?

I do - I think it was for a Bollywood extravaganza shot at Fairoaks

was this the Professionals or the Avengers? (1978)

It was for The Avengers - me and Willy Caldicott climbing up and down a rope ladder to prove that it could be done.

CharlieOneSix
25th Nov 2011, 22:10
It was Peter Faulkes.

It was indeed - many thanks TRC

Geoffersincornwall
26th Nov 2011, 03:43
Greece - My trip to Greece in 1982 was the beginning of Niki's commercial enterprise and involved the Athens Aviation Services and their embryonic heliport experiment.

During my time there I was asked to do many strange tasks including the resupply of a family yacht when the fridge broke down, visit one of the Papadakis line ships at anchor with dozens of others to the North of Athens, deliver candidates to election rallies, visit the family 'home' island of Kasos east of Crete. Many 'social' flights involved island hopping whilst the yacht 'Little Cayman' followed on. Niki wasn't a great sailor but enjoyed life on board. I remember once flying some supplies out to a rendezvous in a small rocky bay and parking TPTR on a small ledge. It was a hot summer day and I was feeling the heat so Niki offered me a pair of swimming trunks from his visitor's store and I had a delicious cooling dip that was so gorgeous that I felt it made being a helicopter pilot the best job in the world. A shower and reality beckoned. It was a magic summer - a journey that took in Le Touquet, Lausanne, Genoa, Pescara, Bari, Corfu, Zakintos, Athens plus many islands visits and fishing trips. Niki treated me like a brother much to the annoyance of his female companion and he was a kind and thoughtful employer.

Another chapter of the memoirs maybe? One day I will find the time to write them.

G. :)

Nigel Osborn
26th Nov 2011, 08:28
TRC

Was Peter ex army before he joined the RN?

bast0n
26th Nov 2011, 09:20
To all ex AMers

This is a super picture of Peter Faulkes at his best!! A truly lovely chap and a good friend of mine in the FAA. Such a sad loss.

Some of you may remember the others in the picture!

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll301/tallbronzedgod/NavyPhotos141.jpg

D

Savoia
26th Nov 2011, 09:25
Bast0n: Great to see the Wessexmeister on the Mann thread! :ok:

Please, for the benefit of non-FAA'ers, could you do a 'left to right' of the characters in your photo!

Grazie mille.

Sav

bast0n
26th Nov 2011, 10:04
Savoia

Left to right, Peter Faulkes, John Kelly, Mike Smith, and an other..........

Savoia
26th Nov 2011, 10:54
Yes, extreme starboard I had already guessed as the 'handsome Wessex driver', lol!

Mike Smith as in Mike Smith who flew with Air Gregory and ended-up sporting a goatie most of his life? If so then my, he was young there!

vfr440
26th Nov 2011, 12:39
S
Yes, we were all young (and I cringe sometimes looking at old photos :suspect:) but. like good wine, including Vino Nobile of which we have spoken previously, we mature/ MUCH better deal all round :8. And we are more tolerant of the excesses of enthusiasm that we witness amongst our younger 'brethren'.

Well I try to be, anyway :O - VFR

bast0n
26th Nov 2011, 13:08
Sav

Yup! the same goatee bearded and all round good egg Mike Smith, father of Q.

VFR

How you can you be more gracious than Faulkes and friends............:ok:

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll301/tallbronzedgod/faulkesGib.jpg

Savoia
27th Nov 2011, 04:51
Bast0n failed to include the following disclaimer in his photo above:

"Any resemblance between the chap behind me and the Tintin character Capt. Haddock is purely coincidental."

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-N_kDCJVFU2g/TtHOtie0AoI/AAAAAAAAGiY/2Ys5DFWE7xc/s94/Capt%252520Haddock.jpg

;)

TRC
27th Nov 2011, 21:35
Was Peter ex army before he joined the RN?

Sorry Nigel, don't know the answer to that one.

bast0n
28th Nov 2011, 08:22
Nigel

I don't think that Peter was ex army. That is a "think" from a long time ago.

Nigel Osborn
28th Nov 2011, 11:08
Peter, Mike Burnett & myself were all ex army but I couldn't remember how Peter spelt his name but your excellent photos identified him for me. I had no idea he had been killed so long ago & even Chalky White passed on a while ago; all very sad. Where did you get all those photos??? I still have a good one of you in your Sunday whites on Albion's deck in HK, complete with your new sword!!:ok:

bast0n
28th Nov 2011, 12:03
Nigel

I should like to see that one - privately as I was never an AM jockey. D

Savoia
4th Dec 2011, 19:31
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-HA4SHoXfTYQ/TtvUeeoBoKI/AAAAAAAAGn8/Wn-aVSEL6W8/s800/A109A%252520I-MDVC%252520Middle%252520Wallop%2525205%252520Jul%25252084%25 2520%252528Don%252520Hewins%252529.jpg
Agusta 109A I-MDVC attending Middle Wallop on 5th July 1984 (Photo: Don Hewins)

Doubtless demonstrating in association with Mann's. As it happens I was at Wallop when Don took this image.

Savoia
17th Dec 2011, 02:48
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-eK_3p1Avm0s/TuwML-7uwwI/AAAAAAAAG1s/LNoL6wo7WTE/s880/AB%252520206B%252520III%252520Fairoaks%252520June%25252082%2 52520%252528Wingnut%252529.jpg
Agusta-Bell 206B JetRanger III G-VANG at the Mannstead in June 1982 (Photo: Wingnut)

This Mann-supplied craft began life in June 1981 as G-BIZA then to G-VANG the following year when she signed-up to Skyhook. In 1986 she was bought by 'Hecray' Ltd (when she became G-HRAY) and was the following year bought by Aeromega who re-registered her as G-OMDR.

A private message I recently received reads:

I have read the AMH nostalga thread several times (with much enjoyment) and was wondering about Bob Baff. He was an excellent pilot and instructor and often flew the Bell 47G2 G-ARXH. This machine was owned by the Hon. Mrs Kidd, the grandmother of Jodie. Sadly, Bob died on the 10th Jan 2010. I first met him in 1958.

The brown and gold colours referred to earlier were, IIRC, devised by an agency on the premise that they would instil confidence in the company, brown being a safe "earth" colour and gold for "riches". As TRC says they were awful. The gold was actually real gold leaf sealed with a hard wearing lacquer.

I think I am right in saying that Bob Baff introduced Nicki Papadakis to Alan Mann and put up the money to purchase Fairoaks airfield from Doug Arnold who went on to buy Blackbushe, but that's another story. If Chris Hobbs is a Prune member he would know better than me.

IIRC John Ackroyd-Hunt was an ex Royal Marine pilot along with Mark Lngford, he came from CSE. Johns death was reported in the Field or Shooting Times, I am unable to find the relevant copy, again IIRC he was demonstrating at a country fair and making a low level turn when a main blade struck the ground.

G-BBKP at the time of the accident was owned by the late Viscount Portman, who had met Peter Faulkes in the Navy. The lady passengers' name I know but am reluctant to release because her husband is still alive.

Some of the pilots I recall were : Nigel Thornton (ex Navy,) John Dicken Air Hanson, John Willis (ex Army,) Geoff Cox. Mike Somerton-Rayner (ex Army,) Chris Hunt (ex Army,) Danny Foreman (ex Army) he flew G-AVVH for David Brown, Aston Martin.

How did Paul Midgeley die please?

From this PM it is clear that there are still more ex-Manners on PPRuNe. Here's a reminder of the ones we know:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-KEmc3ocwzxY/TgX9Kp0kPTI/AAAAAAAADsg/Ruxf1XsJALs/omc%252520logo2.png

Andy Healey (http://www.pprune.org/members/81436-andy-healey)
ExDesigner (http://www.pprune.org/members/361524-exdesigner)
Geoffersincornwall (http://www.pprune.org/members/8690-geoffersincornwall)
LAS1997 (http://www.pprune.org/members/280425-las1997)
NJT (http://www.pprune.org/members/352456-njt)
TRC (http://www.pprune.org/members/151282-trc)
VFR440 (http://www.pprune.org/members/288265-vfr440)

76fan
17th Dec 2011, 09:29
Savoia.

Delivery of G-BIZA was taken for Vanguard at Frosinone on the 19th January 1982 and it arrived at Fairoaks on the 23rd. A trip short on daylight and in poor weather meant going the coastal route via Cannes and losing a day in Lyons in fog. The fact that it left the Agusta factory with a miserable battery also meant that a battery cart had to be sought for every start ... which did not help!

aeromys
17th Dec 2011, 17:06
http://www.griffon-gallery.com/news/img/430_speed_record_machine-large.jpg

17 August 1996, Ron Bower and John Williams about to leave on their 'Around the world' record attempt. I think they still hold the record for a westerly (against the prevailing winds) trip.

bast0n
17th Dec 2011, 21:25
John Ackroyd-Hunt

What a splendid fellow. He was the HWI of 707 Squadron when I was the OFTO.

He did much of his courting staying with us at Praa Sands. So many laughs.

Such a sad end. I think that he was carrying a Honda 4 wheeled trike underslung when his blade hit a bit of a bank.

I do not seem to still have a photograph of him, so if anyone has one would they post it to remind us of the old dog.

David

griffothefog
18th Dec 2011, 07:37
Nice shot of Greg Normans longranger behind that 430 :ok:

aeromys
18th Dec 2011, 22:02
Oh yes ! Didn't notice that. The great white shark, I guess he must have been at Wentworth.

helihub
19th Dec 2011, 04:58
That photo of VANG must have been taken during Farnborough week 1982 or 84 - given the red/white Sunstrand sticker on the side and that it was registered VANG between February 1982 and April 1986

heli1
19th Dec 2011, 11:43
Gosh I remember the Bell 430 Round the World flight.I persuaded them to take an extra passenger with them in the shape of Helix,a Bear from the Helicopter Museum,whom I retrieved safe and well upon their return.
He now lives in a box at the museum,complete with his own round the world certificate as the first bear to travel around the world by helicopter !

Savoia
19th Dec 2011, 20:04
76Fan: Thanks for this info! Does this mean you served with Mann's for a time? If so, we'd love to hear more.

Heli1: You are going to have to post an image of Helix!

Helihub wrote: .. given the red/white Sunstrand sticker on the side ..

And the rest .. I don't know why Vanguard didn't go the whole hog and sell every square inch of the fuselage for advertising .. as they were well on the way!

Of course if they had .. then this is how VANG may have looked ...

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-TthoSRfWHDQ/Tu-fGNLb_GI/AAAAAAAAG2U/up9WJI2DIa4/s720/Vangvertiser.jpg
"The Vangvertiser" .. or how Vanguard's 206 may have looked had they embraced a few more logos on their ship! :E

For those who knew my godfather then they will also remember his aversion to advertising or company names on the airframes. I'm not sure if he would actually break-out into a rash when he saw what he considered as graffiti; perhaps something close to it!

There were some at Ferranti who were at odds with him on this and, more than once, a Ferranti ship appeared (usually a Bolkow) with 'Ferranti Helicopters' painted on the side. Such apparitions were however generally short-lived for as soon as the Colonel sighted the indiscretion it was required to be returned to 'normal'.

In the latter years I think the Colonel conceded with the yellow 105's (which were almost constantly involved in utility ops) and BATB (the ex-Rolls Royce corporate mount) was stamped with "Northern Lighthouse Board" for that contract. At least one Ferranti 206 wore the Plessey logo for about a year (negotiated down from an initial request to emblazon the Plessey name across the fuselage just for'ard of the tailboom and which the Colonel flatly refused).

All great stuff!

Of course had VANG's owners adopted a more Ferranti-esque approach to the appearance of their craft .. then she may have looked something like this ..

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-9u28MkCcI-w/Tu-fAil5vgI/AAAAAAAAG2Q/jBkhAYgCDmU/s720/Vang%252520Plain.jpg
"The VANG" as she might have appeared in 'different' circumstances!

helipixman
25th Dec 2011, 20:13
Here's a couple of shots of the elusive G-AXAY for Savoia (post 183)

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7018/6570911869_34b8b53d07_b.jpg

G-AXAY is Alan Mann colours

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7026/6570912019_3f724987a9_b.jpg

another shot of G-AXAY at Elstree 18.9.69 during ownership of Start Hill Plant Hire Co Ltd.
(Pictures from Helipixman Collection)

Savoia
27th Dec 2011, 04:10
Ah Elipix .. how great to see you back! :ok:

And in such fine form doing what you do best .. pulling out of your Helipixman's Collection 'hat' hard or otherwise impossible-to-find-elsewhere images, lol, great stuff! Had been looking for a shot of G-AXAY for over a year.

I mentioned (both in post 183 on this thread and elsewhere on the Ferranti Thread) the terrible tragedy which befell G-AXAY on 7th March 1974 when she literally broke apart in mid-air over Inkpen Hill, Hungerford. It was, to the best of my knowledge, the most dramatic (and obviously catastrophic) Bell 206 accident in UK rotary history at the time.

The next 'most shocking' Bell 206 accident to occur (in the UK) would take place three years later on 15th May 1977 when a radio-less Tiger Moth (whose pilot had failed to read the Notam advising that the grass runway he was approaching at the Biggin Hill Air Fair was in fact closed to operations) flew into the main rotors of Ferranti's G-AVSN killing Hugh Lovett and his four passengers. My godfather never really got over this incident and bemoaned the loss of his beloved pilot for the remainder of his career somehow managing to find cause to blame himself for the events of that day and which, of course, was utter nonsense.

G-AXAY was the 32nd 206 to be registered in the UK (in March 1969) and, as Helipix mentioned, was assigned to Start Hill Plant Hire of Bishop's Stortford. In June 1971 she was transferred to 'Camlet Helicopters' - another British rotary firm I've never heard of before .. and it was while under their tenure (presumably leased to Manfred Mann) that she met her demise.

The photo which the inimitable 'Elipix' showcased is almost certainly taken in July of 1973 when, I suspect, Mann's were running AXAY into the International Air Tattoo at Greenham Common.

In a picture of ill-fated doom, sitting behind G-AXAY in Helipixman's shot is a Ferranti JetRanger (although not G-AVSN but G-AWJW which was attending the same event at Greenham in '73). The yellow overalls of Ferranti's ground crew are just visible and would doubtless have meant that they were 'at hand' to enforce the Colonel's standard requirement that no Ferranti-craft be permitted to fly anywhere at any time unless it epitomised his ideal of constant cleanliness! The Colonel had a long list of 'no no's' which basically precluded the aircraft from being released for operational duty in anything other than showroom condition!

DennisK
27th Dec 2011, 21:40
Just a titbit to add to the sad accident at the 1977 Biggin Air Show.

I was unfortunate to witness this accident at close hand being parked 'rotors turning' at the then 03 runway threshold awaiting my turn to display ... (Enstrom G-PALS or G-BENO I think.) I watched with some concern as the Ferranti G-AVSN with four passengers went light on its skids and promptly lifted into the path of a 'short final' Tiger Moth. At about 50 feet, the Bell's M/R blades smacked into the Tiger Moth's landing gear removing both wheels one of which flew toward the crowd line approximately 30 yards from the Bell's lift-off position. The Bell's M/R head and blade assembly catastrophically separated from the cabin which also impacted fairly close to the crowd line.

In their respectrive positions, the Tiger Moth pilot would not have been able to see the Bell 206 beneath his mainplanes - similarly the Bell would not have been able to see the Moth above. I have to say that a 90 degree 'clearing turn' would have prevented the collision and in fact in training I now cite this accident to emphasise the importance of the 'look-out' turn prior to lift-off .... and as an aside, not ... "to check the approach is clear" but to note "conflicting traffic on the approach." This, on the basis that one invariably sees what one 'expects to see.' On a subsequent LPC training flight when a well known champion motor bike pilot failed to make the clearing turn ... I recall yelling as he transitioned: ... "Stop this f-cking helicopter." I'd like to think my use of the F word ensured the lesson in look-out was learned.

Regards to all. Dennis Kenyon.

Savoia
29th Dec 2011, 06:09
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-u4xh9fXSLPk/TvwNFemK-OI/AAAAAAAAG84/0bPTpXyRkfM/s800/G-BBEU%252520Farnborough%252520%2525209%252520Sep%25252076%252 520m.jpg
Alan Mann's G-BBEU arrives at Farnborough on 9th September 1976

Some comments relating to BBEU from the Nostalgia Thread:

Savoia wrote: G-BBEU (a Bell) was delivered to Ben Turner Helicopters in August '73. From Ben Turner she moved on to Heli-Air then to Alan Mann in '75. In January '78 she was bought from Mann's by International Messengers, a courier company founded by Andrew Walters, a friend to my godfather who later went on to order a new Agusta-built 206, G-OIML.

In July '81 Hanson's bought BBEU and about a year later she was exported to Uganda (via Autair) to become 5X-MIA. There she flew with the Uganda Police Air Wing until, as with every rotorcraft they have ever owned, she crashed during operational flying duties.

TRC wrote: The roof was changed due to suspected honeycombe delamination as per the Bell rep. It was decided to build a jig at Fairoaks rather than send the fuselage to Sweden (I think). During the 6 months or so that it took to sort the jig out, EU sat in the corner getting steadily smaller as the duty ‘Christmas Tree’. We cut various bits out of the old roof after it was replaced but it seemed sound – oh well!

Savoia
29th Dec 2011, 19:48
Barratt Developments A109 G-HELY has featured previously on this thread but this is, to the best of my knowledge, the first time an image of G-BEKH has cropped-up.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-qWTeQWu34iE/TvzOd9qGYLI/AAAAAAAAG90/rHarYUIGxrY/s500/Barrat%252520206.jpg
Barratt Developments Agusta-Bell 206B JetRanger II G-BEKH

BEKH was delivered to Barratt in January 1977 and remained with them until sold to WR Finance in 1981. In 1987 the craft was exported to France where she was to fly as F-GFDO.

While in the Barratt stable BEKH experienced a turbine rotor burst on 11th December 1980. An extract from the accident report (http://www.aaib.gov.uk/cms_resources.cfm?file=/8-1982%20G-BEKH.pdf) reads:

"The accident occurred during a private flight immediately after take-off from a helipad in the central area of Dundee. There was an explosion in the engine and, with loss of power, the helicopter settled back onto the helipad. A limited fire was extinguished by the pilot and neither he nor his passengers sustained any injuries.

The report concludes that the first stage turbine wheel became disengaged, oversped and burst due to the failure, in fatigue, of a tie-bolt clamping it to the second stage turbine and compressor drive. The reason for the development of fatigue was not conclusively established but evidence is presented which suggests that the manufacturers should re-assess the loads sustained by the tie-bolt. Recommendations are also made concerning the vulnerability of the Bell 206 and other helicopters to secondary damage and fire following an un-contained engine failure."

Does anyone recall who flew BEKH for Barratt?

Plank Cap
30th Dec 2011, 06:55
Can't say conclusively, but a very nice chap by the name of Terry ... paid me a tenner to clean the Barratt Twin Squirrel, circa 1984. He had just flown in for a day or two, and I was then working as an aircraft handler for Bond in Aberdeen . Any wage supplement was greatly received!

Savoia
21st Jan 2012, 08:25
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-2XHJJm3uT74/TxqDhAFSVVI/AAAAAAAAHdw/Adi9OqHT46Y/s720/1989%252520AM%252520Ad.png
1980's Alan Mann Ad

chevvron
21st Jan 2012, 13:34
The logo on the hangar 'Alan Mann Helicopters' visible in some of the preceding photos was painted out some weeks ago along with the logo for the engineering arm of AMG and the airport name on the larger hangar next door.
We don't know what is to replace it.
There are still some smaller signs extant both airside and car park side referring to Alan Mann Helicopters but I dare say they will go soon.

vfr440
21st Jan 2012, 14:01
GAMA are there in charge it seems to me. It'll all be replaced in due course, I'm sure. Probably a MUCH better outcome than the invidious deliberations of BBCC, wouldn't you agree? Lots of activity down at Hangar adjacent to the old police hangar too :confused: VFR

chevvron
21st Jan 2012, 22:32
Increasing activity near the old police hangar - I couldn't possibly comment.

wiganairways
25th Jan 2012, 14:44
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7151/6760417857_8e535d0930_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7005/6760416037_a763fd139a_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7017/6760415487_c15a21260b_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7034/6760414057_6dc9a845b3_z.jpg

Wiggy

hookie.sails
1st Feb 2012, 13:28
I think the helicopter landing in 50m of fog was a new dark grey B206 flown by a certain Doctor Death....

vfr440
1st Feb 2012, 15:05
Agreed - about par for the course (PPL) - VFR

Savoia
2nd Feb 2012, 09:04
I think the helicopter landing in 50m of fog was a new dark grey B206 flown by a certain Doctor Death ..

Perhaps the wx has drifted down to Northern Italy because I haven't the foggiest what Hookie is talking about!

G-NOEL

We've looked at 'NOEL' on Nostalgia but she belongs of course here, on the Mann Thread, and today with the addition of a new image from one of our Mann Thread photographic contributors - Wingnut:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-BZs1t6hQBWI/TypZ5xehamI/AAAAAAAAHos/O_J-NLrcCJI/s720/gnoelb206fairoaksanet.jpg
G-NOEL on the ramp at Fairoaks c. June 1980 (Photo: Courtesy of Wingnut)

TRC wrote: I had the 'pleasure' of conducting the 1200hr inspection that turned 'WN into 'EL. Complete with painting the instrument panel and circuit breaker panel a light beige to match the new interior (and having all the edge-lit and breaker panels re-engraved) what a nightmare.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-1J7MOPjmfl4/TypZw0LPWLI/AAAAAAAAHoo/j9BR8PxgHtk/s720/G-BCWN001.jpg
G-NOEL (as BCWN) prior to her refit

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-rs8N_tDxPI4/TypZ0-yJHII/AAAAAAAAHok/pgoTXOX8nuA/s720/AB%2520206B%2520G-RODS%2520Brands%2520Hatch%25208%2520Oct%252085%2520%2528Keit h%2520Sowter%2529.jpg
Agusta-Bell 206B G-RODS at Brands Hatch on 8th October 1985 (Photo: Keith Sowter)

'NOEL' (flying as RODS) after TRC's handiwork including new interior, colour-coded pop-outs, wire strike protection kit and of the course the painted instrument panel!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-seIbYO97dsk/TypZn08NTWI/AAAAAAAAHnw/F0QR-UbHblc/s200/wingnut%2520logo2.jpg
'Wingnut' (the man behind the lens of several of our best Manfred Mann images) has today advised me that we are soon to be treated to some more shots from an 80's Fairoaks! :ok:

Brilliant Stuff
5th Feb 2012, 13:36
I would love to see a photo of said panel or similar so I can work out what took so much work...

Savoia
5th Feb 2012, 17:33
Brilliant; as luck would have it I do happen to have a shot of G-NOEL's overhead panel (see below):

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-D_egkqAyF8c/Ty7I37Rje6I/AAAAAAAAHqU/U8yMWeHI91o/s572/Special%2520Panel%2520%2528Yeah%2520right%2521%2529%2520%253 B%2529.jpg

Now in all fairness to TRC this was a non-standard 206 ceiling panel (which I think TRC ordered specially from Agusta) and was the result of the additional options which Noel wanted to be fitted to his craft. As a result the repainting and re-etching must, one imagines, have been a time consuming affair.

However, to put the challenge of this job into its true perspective it is necessary to understand the 'hangar antics' developed by VFR and TRC during their time at the Mannstead.

Umm, how can I put this .. well, I'm not sure but here's short clip which might help explain:

pFQRXn92KwI

You know that I love you really TRC! ;)

Brilliant Stuff
7th Feb 2012, 10:24
Thanks Savoia. That is indeed a raaaaaaather large panel.:D:D:D:D

chevvron
16th Feb 2012, 12:17
Rumours about that AMH may yet do the 'phoenix' trick under another name/owner/operator for training.

pc.
16th Feb 2012, 22:57
What a great thread this is.

I worked for Alan Mann Avionics from 1973 to 1976.
I then changed career (http://community.bt.com/t5/The-Lounge/Introduce-yourself/m-p/334997#M4165).
I admit this was a money driven decision.... But look back on my Fairoaks years as the most interesting part of my career.

In those days Fairoaks control twr (130.45Mhz) was a large "greenhouse" located up a bit from the Helicopter Hanger/Offices.

A few of my memories.-

There was a Blue Brantley that was brought out of the hanger for occasional engine runs. I don't think it was ever flown.

G-Axay I remember when the accident happened... Inkpen Ridge.
I saw the radio remains being investigated... Looking to see if it was powered up ie were the panel lights filaments stretched... and what frequency was it set on comms and nav. This was in the days of old fashioned dials with a number appearing in a small window.... No Leds.
G-Axay yellow tail was dumped behind the car park for a long time.

I remember in the Helicopter offices there was a large air to air picture of an English Electric Lightning climbing vertically and was told the pilot was Bob Baff.

There was an arrival of a Black B206 that had a small bullet hole in it's chin window. I was told the helicopter had been imported from the USA and may have flown Frank Sinatra.

For a few days an AMH helicopter was flying around the airfield with a radio controlled model helicopter flying alongside.
This was in preparation for an advertising stunt on behalf of the model maker. The model was to cross the channel controlled from the full size helicopter flying alongside/nearby.

When the control tower moved to it's present location I installed the radio, and also installed a Narco (I think) in the new yellow Crash Truck.

Finally I was working on a bell 47G (Intermittent headphone sockets Nato type I think)... and Peter Faulkes opened the door on the other side, and asked me how it was going and would it be ready for the afternoon.
He was such a nice friendly person, always used/knew first name.
Later that day I was given the bad news of the crash of G-BBKP.
Attached is a scan from the Daily Express Friday March 21st 1975.

If anyone has the contact details for John Birchell a colleague I used to work with at Mann Avionics would they let me know in a PM. Thanks.

PC

http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/7636/editedversionsmall.jpg

Savoia
17th Feb 2012, 05:31
PC: A very warm welcome to the Mann Thread. Great to have another ex-Alan Manner with us and to be briefed on some of the details you have provided.

Unfortunately (maybe its just my set-up) but I am unable to view the article you posted and which I have to say is often the case with either Photobucket or Imageshack. I think Flickr is the preferred photo hosting site by PPRuNe (there are some technical reasons apparently) although nearly all my material is on Picasa (due to their image editing software).

PPRuNe does not have any preferred image hosting site.

Any viewing issue is likely to be with individual computers or networks, although Google/Picasa can be difficult due to the security aspect of their hosting :=

Splot

Well, I shall be relying of VFR, TRC, Geoffers and others to help fill-in the gaps .. especially about the blue Brantly and the black bullet-ridden 206!

Brgds

Sav

chevvron
17th Feb 2012, 14:11
pc: I remember the 'old' tower from my first visit to Fairoaks many years ago. The 'new' one is still in use but the frequency has changed to 123.425; main radio is now an Icom with a Narco 120 as backup.

exdesigner
23rd Feb 2012, 12:05
Hi PC, i do have contact details for John Burchell but I am a little reluctant to supply these freely. Maybe you could contact me outside pprune and introduce yourself. Not wanting to appear to be fussy but disclosing other peoples contact details is something i think should be handled with due consideration. Look forward to your reply. TTFN. Exdesigner.

Sorry guys. Being a bit of a numpty :confused: I didnt understand what the PM bit in pc's message meant but with some help I have worked it out. I have now sent a Personal Message to him so things should be getting sorted.

pc.
23rd Feb 2012, 21:36
Thank you for replying.

I have sent an email to the address you've given... please look out as it may be diverted to your junk mail. It starts with my Amateur Ham call sign G4P**

I included some memories John may recognise to prove "I'm genuine".

I wonder if any staff remember the BBQ Alan Mann put on one summers evening down at the bottom of the airfield.
There was a big bonfire and a raffle with some incredible prizes.... It was a lovely summers evening/night.

Another memory...... of the Goodyear Airship Europa arriving... We saw it in the distance.... then about an hour later it was still coming in!!!!! Bit of a strong headwind.
It was good fun assisting with the lines.

Such great memories of a great place to work.

Apologies for drifting off the helicopter subject.

TRC
23rd Feb 2012, 21:49
I remember the BBQs at the blister hangar on the south side. Good times.

Fairoaks in the seventies and early eighties was a great place to work - good social life, helicopter div dining club, cricket team, a good bar on Friday nights.

Then we were woken up.

hatters united
24th Feb 2012, 15:35
Hi.

Just catching up on this thread, most interesting.

Savoia...re the picture of G-BEKH of Barrett's on 29 dec 2011, the pilot was Martin Burgin who also flew the 1st Agusta 109 delivered to a UK owner.

MB was also famed for the TV advert for Barrett's showing him flying the Jetranger through a brick wall, ( polystyreen )

Savoia
26th Feb 2012, 06:56
PC mentioned a blue Brantly in Mann's hangar which hardly ever flew and was brought out for engine runs - does anyone remember this craft?

Similarly PC mentions a black 206 which had a bullet hole in the chin perspex and that the same craft may have flown 'Old Blue Eyes' .. any recollections? Of Sinatra, he did fly with Ferranti of that I am certain.

Hatters: Thank you for the information on BEKH - one would love to see again the ad you refer to, I remember it well. I've never heard of Martin Burgin though - would be interested to learn a little more about him.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-iI-BYJFFTZU/T0nUR8X3WFI/AAAAAAAAIHo/CXoddwVgoRg/s200/wingnut%2520logo2%2520s.jpg

As promised, some additional shots from Fairoaks photographer Wingnut:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-1XvudBI6H8k/T0nUJ_b0FTI/AAAAAAAAIHw/ExHIP570-fI/s720/LOCK.jpg
Agusta-Bell 206B III G-LOCK at the Mannstead c.1980

We have discussed G-TPTR on previous pages but .. she did of course begin life as G-LOCK, owned by Lovaux of Bracknell in Berkshire who bought her in October of 1979.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-n3uxx3xdOmc/T0nUL8nvvPI/AAAAAAAAIH4/hdiOKu0pRJI/s720/NEWS.jpg
Bell 206B III G-NEWS at the Mannstead c.1980 (G-BGGX in the background)

Whether this was the black 206 to which PC refers I do not know. She was imported from the US however (being of Bell and not Agusta manufacture). NEWS was bought by Peter Press of Wallingford, Oxfordshire in November 1978.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-X576eylmuQc/T0nUJ5zS4rI/AAAAAAAAIH0/aXxwkH5ZEfQ/s720/N18097.jpg
Bell 206L N18097 at the Mannstead c.1980

I have tried to obtain some background on this craft but have failed to do so. I initially thought this may have been G-HBUS but it is not. Furthermore, her US registration seems to be attributed to more than one serial number and which is obviously confusing.

Brilliant Stuff
26th Feb 2012, 09:55
G-NEWS was de-registered 6 days ago and sent to the Philippines.

TRC
26th Feb 2012, 17:35
It was a Brantly 305, G-ATSJ. Registration history from G-INFO (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=60&pagetype=65&appid=1&mode=reg&fullregmark=ATSJ) - suddenly had an epiphany.

It was in the hangar when I started there in late 74, and festered there for years. Eventually was sold to goodness-knows-who and it disappeared by road.

A brief report of its demise is in Veeany's site here (http://www.griffin-helicopters.co.uk/accidentdetails.aspx?accidentkey=14314).

It's funny, but I remember it being in that hangar for longer than it evidently was.

G-NEWS

Whether this was the black 206 to which PC refers I do not know

NEWS was a very dark green, easily confused with black at a distance.

1helicopterppl
27th Feb 2012, 13:59
thanks for posting pic of G-LOCK, missing from my collection over the years !
As you refer to it being re-registered G-TPTR, I take it you mean c/n 8587 ?
This was infact the second allocation of G-LOCK, the original c/n 8592 was ntu & was re-registered in France.

heli1
28th Feb 2012, 10:35
I think you'll find the Brantly moved not far away and is today a garden ornament near Bracknell....The remains of JetRanger TPTR are at the helicopter museum.

Savoia
2nd Mar 2012, 04:49
G-ATSJ

Ah well, how swiftly one forgets! T'was only a year ago since (on the Nostalgia Thread) we were discussing G-ATSJ (pages 19 (http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/419023-rotary-nostalgia-thread-19.html) and 34 (http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/419023-rotary-nostalgia-thread-34.html)).

She was of course bought from BEAS by the inimitable Tommy Sopwith (in 1966) and sold to Alan Mann in 1968. Freddie Wilcox also seems to have had a hand in brokering the sale between SJ's next owner (Sunderland Print) and her final owner, Robert Ryan.

G-ATSJ met with her demise in June 1977 when, according to the report (http://www.griffin-helicopters.co.uk/accidentdetails.aspx?accidentkey=14314):

ON APPROACH, AT ABOUT 3FT AGL, THE HELICOPTER BEGAN TO DRIFT TO THE RIGHT. THE PILOT 'OVERPITCHED', THE RIGHT WHEEL TOUCHED THE GROUND & THE HELICOPTER OVERTURNED. (AIB BULLETIN 8/77). CAA CLOSURE: POSSIBLE CONTRIBUTARY FACTORS MENTIONED BY PILOT WERE HIGH AMBIENT TEMP, HIGH ATMOSPHERIC PRESSURE, HIGH HUMIDITY & HIGH A/D ELEVATION (950FT AMSL).
Reading the 'contributary factors' cited by the driver, one could be excused for thinking he was flying in Malaya!

Savoia
5th Mar 2012, 11:38
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Q1zXtbT3yvs/T1SwdJnF8mI/AAAAAAAAIOI/o-Khz_VbIKw/s889/G%2520HWBK%2520at%2520Dover%2520Hoverport%25201%2520Septembe r%25201984%2520%2528John%2520Oram%2529.jpg
Agusta 109A G-HWBK at Dover Hoverport on 1st September 1984 (Photo: John Oram)

Doubtless preparing to embark upon a filming/photographic sortie.

TRC
5th Mar 2012, 11:57
... preparing to embark upon a filming/photographic sortie
That looks like the BBC TV live-link fit.

chevvron
9th Mar 2012, 10:32
Last Alan Mann Helicopters sign airside at Fairoaks disappeared a couple of days ago and has just been replaced by a Heli Air sign.

wigglyamp
9th Mar 2012, 17:15
All of the former MAGE hangars got new Gama Engineering signs this week as well!
I wonder where Helair are going to keep their aircraft as there are no spare hangars?

chevvron
11th Mar 2012, 06:32
Only the R44 (possibly a Jetranger too) at the moment and they're kept outside on the Eastern Helipads. The Hughes 269 at Chobham Helicopters is also parked outside but at the Western Helipads.
Starspeed have now taken over the hangar next to Chobham Helis.