PDA

View Full Version : Qatar or Emirates? Opinions and advice please.

Dangnammit
21st Feb 2011, 05:36
Hi all.
Just a question on behalf of of my folks.
They are in a group of 6, flying from Melbourne, Australia to Barcelona, Spain in August and returning October from Italy.
They have some options available to them for airline and aircraft types on which to travel.
They will be travelling in economy class and would like to know how much legroom, food quality (cuisine type as well), and service on each airline/aircraft type.

Options are as follows;
Qatar
B777-200LR Melbourne to Doha- 14hrs20min
A330-200 Doha to Barcelona- 7hrs

Emirates
B777-300ER Melbourne to Dubai- 14hrs15min
A340-300 Dubai to Madrid- 7hrs55min
Iberia A320-100/200 to Barcelona- 1hr10min

Return legs will be in the same types, but different ports.

My parents have heard from some fussy eaters that the food on Emirates is better than that of Qatar. It will be cheaper for them to travel on Qatar, but if Emirates have more legroom and comfort, they will be happy to pay the extra.

Thanks for any information and experiences.

VS-LHRCSA
21st Feb 2011, 10:15
QR 777 3-3-3, EK 777 3-4-3 is enough for me to opt for QR. That and a direct flight to BCN.

Yellow Pen
21st Feb 2011, 13:11
Another vote for QR. It's a hassle to take a 3rd flight after such a long journey already. Also I've generally heard good things about economy class on Qatar whereas Emirates can, apparently, be somewhat zoo-like down the back.

Gulfstreamaviator
21st Feb 2011, 13:46
Given the choice, always take Qatar, rather than Emirates.

If in economy, certainly better quality, every time.

Anansis
21st Feb 2011, 22:39
Hi Dangnammit,

I frequently fly economy class between the UK and South East Asia and always book with either Qatar or Emirates. Both are excellent and put their more established rivals to shame. Personally I feel that sometimes Qatar try harder to please but Emirates are slightly more organised. Overall I'd say that there's very little to choose between them in terms of food, service or comfort. Both airlines will allow you to request a particular meal during the booking process which could be useful if your parents are fussy eaters.

The main thing I use to differentiate between the two when booking a flight is schedule. Both Doha and Dubai airports operate around the clock. Many flights arrive in the evening with connections that don't depart until the morning after. Trying to grab a few hours of jetlagged sleep in a crowded airport with artificial lighting and constant flight announcements keeping you awake is pretty horiffic to say the least!

I'd go for the option which offers the best connection in the Middle East (short or daytime connections are best in my opinion). If both offer good connections, go with the cheapest. If neither offer good connections, go with Emirates- Dubai is a slightly better airport to be stuck in overnight as they have a few reclined seats upon which you might be able to attempt to get some sleep and free showers (Doha has neither). EU citizens can also enter Dubai without a visa so you can easily leave the airport and explore for a few hours or book a cheap hotel (Emirates offer stopover packages in Dubai on their website which look like good value). Finally, if you have to overnight in Doha, use the Oryx lounge. It's around $30 per person but worth every penny :ok:

L'aviateur
22nd Feb 2011, 00:06
Qatar airways probably the easiest route, but remember that the DOH-BCN leg is often operated by the A319ER...

Manchikeri
22nd Feb 2011, 01:53
One small point, however: do not - under any circumstances - ask either company for a KSML!

Dangnammit
22nd Feb 2011, 03:45
Thanks for the feedback.
The Qatar flight to Doha arrives at 0555 and the next leg departs 0725 local.
Emirates arrives in Dubai at 0540, departs 0750 local. It then arrives in Madrid with another 2 hour wait for the flight to Barcelona.

I had a look at the configurations of the b777's for both and Qatar looks the best.

Qatar lists the A330-200 for Doha- Barcelona.

What's KSML?

Thanks

Gulfstreamaviator
22nd Feb 2011, 04:24
Agree the Oryx lounge. it is very good value, but beware they have a time limit for casual users.....

I use them for Algiers, and that is a reasonable run, never seen a 319 on it.

Glf

Hartington
22nd Feb 2011, 04:45
Without precise context it's impossible to know what KSML is but one possible meaning is Kosher Meal. In the context of the airlines being discussed that seems a little incongruous.

etrang
22nd Feb 2011, 05:37
Both are good airlines. In terms of quality there is little in it. I would choose QR just to avoid that 3rd flight - the last thing you want after a long, tiring journey