PDA

View Full Version : FAA to JAA conversions info needed

ConwayBomber
12th Apr 2001, 07:44
I'm currently in the US doing a flight programme (PPL,IR,CPL,CFI,CFII). I have a J1 visa and am planning on instructing for the remainder of my time until my visa runs out. I hope to return to England after this and convert to JAA qualifications. Does anyone know:
1)What the requirements are for approved and non-approved courses?
2)How much it might cost?
3)Am I doing the right thing by doing it here and then going back?
I've also heard some strange rumours that the JAA aren't accepting any FAA flying hours?? is there any truth in this?

ConwayBomber

rolling circle
13th Apr 2001, 04:57
1) There is no longer any such thing as a non-approved course. The only way to gain a JAA professional licence is via an approved course of training. If you hold a FAA CPL you will have to pass all (14) of the JAA theoretical knowledge examinations, the CPL Skill Test and The IR Skill Test. Training for the theoretical knowledge and the CPL Skill Test is at the discretion of the Head of Training of the approved organisation you choose. Training for the IR Skill Test will be 50 hours, assuming that you hold an ICAO CPL. Otherwise, it will be 55 hours.

2) How long is a piece of string? Have a look at the FCL website, find out which schools are approved to provide the training that you require and contact them direct.

3) No

Flying hours are flying hours, it doesn't matter whether they are gained in Europe, the USA or on Mars. Whoever has been spreading such rumours is either an idiot or a charlatan.

[This message has been edited by rolling circle (edited 13 April 2001).]

'I' in the sky
14th Apr 2001, 13:05
Take it from me. Once you've spent two years in the states, if you return to England your heart will still be over there ! If it's not I think you will have found the 2 years quite painful.

ConwayBomber
14th Apr 2001, 20:19
Thanks for the replies guys, RC sorry to sound stupid but what is the FCL site?
Also now that I'm here, do you any of you guys have suggestions as to what would be my best course of action so as to spend the least amount of time/money once I start the JAA conversions?

Thanks

CB

rolling circle
15th Apr 2001, 03:46
http://www.srg.caa.co.uk/pld/fcl/fcl_information.asp