PDA

View Full Version : Flying schools in America (USA) any info would be most appreciated

chickenlover123
20th Feb 2011, 16:30
Hi, I am a UK citizen looking to do my Commercial Pilots Course in the US. Any help on which school or any advice at all would be most appreciated. I want to find a school with the best training, with the most multi engine training hours, possibly with the opportunity of an instructors job for a few months after to build up my hours.

The Lead Sparrow
20th Feb 2011, 18:09
Have a look at Naples Air Center which is in Florida. They do the ground school there, the weather is great and the flight training also. They also use some British flight intructors so if you do you instructors rating you may get a chance of an instructors job

Rigger92
20th Feb 2011, 18:36
I agree with SoCal on the info request to help.

The best thing you can do is gather as much info as possible and make an informed decision. It is difficult on this forum at times as folks (quite understandably) have hugely differing opinions. Do you know people in the industry whose opinions you can trust? If so, speak to them. Before I made a decision, I talked to friends (and friends of friends) and gathered the views of folks on this forum. It's a huge decision and a huge expense so research it well.

Give some more info on your requirements to the thread and you should find PPRuNe contributors more than willing to help. Good luck and enjoy the USA sun :O

Halfwayback
20th Feb 2011, 19:50
Chicken Lover - welcome to the Wannabee forum!

You will find a number of experienced pilots here who are happy to help answer questions - you have already responses from two such people. However they do expect you to do your research by yourself and then, if you have any specific queries, ask them here.

The question you ask is very vague and, in other formats, has been asked and answered many times before in this forum. Please use the search function to find more information.

Finally the 'best school' is very subjective. It all depends on an individual's timing, funds, experience, ability to learn, natural flying ability etc, etc. You will get many replies and most will conflict with the previous one.

I will leave the thread open but will monitor it closely.

HWB

chickenlover123
20th Feb 2011, 23:43
SoCal App:
Sorry I should of been a bit more specific, I am 24 years old and I only have 5 hours of flying experience as I started my PPL at a school (I will leave unnamed) and I wasn't happy with the service they had to offer so I left.

I have around £70000 to spend on the course (FAA) and I just want to find somewhere that delivers a good standard of education, with good weather, well trained instructors and that offers the most flying hours (preferably multi engine) within the course. Most give you around 230 hours but I was told it will be impossible to get a job with those hours which is why I was looking at the option of becoming an instructor to build hours, saving me from paying to buld them up.

I would probably convert to JAA down the line but I wanted to live out of the UK. I don't have any commitments holding me down and I want to find somewhere with nice weather that I can get some work and life experience.

I don't mind how hard I have to work I just want to go the route that will give me the best chance of getting a job, I'm not overly fussed where as long as it matches the stated criteria.

The Lead Sparrow, Rigger 92:
Thanks for the input and advice:ok:

Halfwayback:
I have used the search option but a lot of the posts were old and I was looking to get some up to date information.
Again, thanks for the input and advice:ok:

I have heard good things about Angel City Flyers, any info on this school or on any others would be most appreciated

cefey
21st Feb 2011, 01:51
You can always go on F1 visa. All the guys I do know, did get instructor jobs and was able to build up 600-1000+ hours during that time. Not to mention all the experience they got throughout teaching!
I would recommend you to go that round, unless you know someone in airliners, who will help you to get a job.

Check out aviation college at Fort Pierce. I have some friends there, they have only good things to say about that school.
I was there and looked at that place, very nice facilities, many good instructors.
They do offer F1 visa as well.

Only thing I can say, stay away from PFTC @ hollywood, FL. And I saw on that forum, Naples got very bad reviews.