PDA

View Full Version : RAF Bomber loss-27 October 1943.

Treble one
20th Feb 2011, 11:18
I know this is a very long shot, but here goes.

I am trying to research the loss of an RAF bomber which crashed in Cumbria on this date.

I'm afraid that's the extent of the details I have (don't know if the aircraft was on ops, or if it was on a training mission).

I have tried several internet searches, National Archives etc to no avail.

If anyone can help, or point me in the right direction, I'd be very grateful.

Best regards
Treble one

papajuliet
20th Feb 2011, 12:58
Haven't found anything in the Bomber Command losses books which fits this date. Is it a definite date?

Treble one
20th Feb 2011, 13:43
It is a definitive date (from a service record).

I had hoped to get an answer from the said publication, but the volume I wanted was unavailable, and only covers operational losses I am told. I guess that's part of the answer then.

Much obliged to you for a speedy reply.

forget
20th Feb 2011, 14:17
RAF Bomber loss-27 October 1943.

Rather than use one specific date try 26, 27 and 28. The aircraft may have left on the earlier date but crashed after midnight - if you follow.

papajuliet
20th Feb 2011, 20:39
I've checked the operational, OTU and HCU losses books around those dates and for the same in other years in case the year was wrong. Also Colin Cumming's books of postwar losses and transport aircraft losses in WW2 - nothing.......
Does the service record give any clue Treble One - unit and so on?
PJ

Treble one
20th Feb 2011, 20:56
Please check your PM's

Cheers
TO

Old-Duffer
20th Feb 2011, 20:59
Treble One,

You mention a 'service record'. Is this an individual's record, a unit record (ie Form 540./541) or some statuatory civilian record eg Death Certificate.

Any idea where in Cumbria (which didn't exist in those days) Cumberland, Westmorland??

Got a name for any of the crew? Are they fatal casualties? If so what does the Commonwealth War Graves records say.

No record in Hurst's book on Lake District crashes.

I'll have a look at another source tomorrow but may I suggest a bit more info wouldn't go amiss!!

Old Duffer

Treble one
20th Feb 2011, 21:18
Thanks for the information.

Please check your PM's.

Cheers
TO

Old-Duffer
21st Feb 2011, 10:38
Treble One,

Try this accident as a possibility. I have checked a computerised version of RAF aircraft losses for 1943 and this is the nearest I can get for anything in Cumbria. Haven't considered American losses however.

26 Oct 43, Hurricane LE262 of No: 3 Ferry Pilots' Pool crashed between Cleator and St Bees. The pilot, who originally came from Mauritius, was 1st Officer Maurice Gaston Emile COUTANCEAU aged 23 Air Transport Auxiliary. He held the dual rank of Pilot Officer RAFVR.

He was married to Pauline Doris Coutanceau of Upminster and is buried in that town.

You mentioned a 'bomber' in your original post but then referred to the pilot and I take this to have been the only person on board. I accept that there is a one day date difference but depending on when the written record was made, this might be possible as one struggles to be precise about dates sometimes.

Hope this opens up a line of enquiry for you.

Old Duffer

Treble one
21st Feb 2011, 19:18
Thanks again for your sterling work on this. I will follow up your latest suggestion and let you know of any developments.

Best regards

TO