PDA

View Full Version : FAA approval for iPad

pilot dude
20th Feb 2011, 07:57
Finally there is hope on the horizon :D

Now we just need the same in Europe

Executive Jet Receives FAA Authorization To Use Jepp Charts On IPad (http://avstop.com/feb_2011/executive_jet_receives_faa_authorization_to_use_jepp_charts_ on_ipad.htm)

PD

I.R.PIRATE
20th Feb 2011, 12:25
As it currently stands, what would be preventing a Part 91 operator from replacing paper plates with iPads carrying Jepp subscriptions?

Looking at the most recent ACs on the subject of what constitutes EFBs, I battle to find anything that rules out using iPads to display your Jepp plates.

Can anyone assist on this? The issue is mainly how it would be viewed by European regulators and ramp check agents!?

cuba99
20th Feb 2011, 12:35
As I understand, the problem with JAA Approval is the refusal of Apple to provide detailed information regarding the Batteries used in IPAD's.

Son of a Beech
21st Feb 2011, 20:20
does anybody know of an EASA appoved opperator using iPad :hmm:

B200Drvr
22nd Feb 2011, 06:30
As requested by I.R.Pirate,
Does anybody have any written evidence that would allow us to operate our Part 91 "N" reg airplanes outside of the USA with IPads as the sole source of Jepps. I have reviewed the last AC on the matter which was in 07 and is defines an EFB as a device which its primary purpose is for use in a cockpit. I see this as the old style EFB's and there is no update since new technology hit the scene.
Any help would be appreciated as we would love to save the rain forest and go paperless.

His dudeness
22nd Feb 2011, 09:39
I dunno, but whats the difference between ops inside the US and outside? You have a C of A, you have an US insurance, US pilots licence, US STC´s, and youre good to fly here...so, if the iPad is approved as an EFB....

Best would be to have a written permission to use the iPad as SOLE means.

Got to say, thats just an opinion and not a real knowledge. OTOH why not just ask the regulatory authority, aka irish CAA or EASA bout it?

I.R.PIRATE
22nd Feb 2011, 10:12
Ok, so I've spoken to a few 91 operators now, and they say that as long as you have redundancies, such as either paper backups, or another iPad, then there is no issue for part 91. I understand this, but our CP wants this in writing.

Can anyone point me in the right direction where I can shoot off an email to get it on paper?

Someone at the FAA?

IO540
24th Feb 2011, 21:35
For Part 91, you can use any electronic device - or paper as before. And always could.

Whether using a single electronic device as a sole source of approach plates is smart is another matter :)

I.R.PIRATE
24th Feb 2011, 22:26
And if you have three? :E with power points for each iPad, that can be used in flight.

But, can you please point me to where i can find this legislated?? As much as what we are trying to do away with paper...we first need to have 'this' on paper....

Strangely I have sent a few emails away asking for somebody to speak to at the Feds with regards this issue, and not one has come back.

B200Drvr
26th Feb 2011, 19:06
FAR 91.21 does not refer to EFB's it refers to shavers etc.
Come on, someone must have the info.

0815pilot
26th Feb 2011, 20:53
for EASA approved IPAD EFB installation check the following threat:

Fokker Services - Fokker Services introduces Electronic Flight Bag hardware and mounting solution for iPad (http://www.fokker.com/Fokker-introduces-Electronic-Flight-Bag-for-iPad)

mutt
27th Feb 2011, 04:26
The beauty of the Ipad is the cost....... somehow I think that if you buy it as an JAA EFB, that cost is going to escalate outside the justifiable range for most private operators.

B200drvr, 91.21 applies as the Ipad is classed as a Personal Electronic Device.

As an interim solution, what is stopping you from printing out the charts for the appropriate airports before the flight, that will save on your paper chart renewal costs?

Mutt