View Full Version : Lagos ATC

turbocharged
20th Feb 2011, 06:00
I'd be obliged if someone could clarify some facts for me. I am told that Lagos, Nigeria, the local ATC is provided by military controllers at Port Harcourt. Also, these controllers are not licensed to civilian standards. Can someone with direct experience clarify for me.

Thanks

overun
20th Feb 2011, 06:21
No, the controllers in Lagos are just that, Port Harcourt ( NAF base ) is too far away. It`s possible that Nigerian Airforce personnel are in Lagos, but it wouldn`t be for the weekend, as it were.

Electricity permitting.

good spark
20th Feb 2011, 07:23
turbocharged
do a goggle search for hydro air cargo lagos sorry but i dont have a link
all will be revealed

Dengue_Dude
20th Feb 2011, 07:33
I used to find Lagos ATC scary, it's all done on DME and thank God we had TCAS.

Best of luck.

It seemed to be a lesson in chaos management unless you were arriving in the middle of the night or early morning and were the only inbound.

turbocharged
20th Feb 2011, 07:51
I suppose it might have helped if I'd google-earthed first. I'm guessing the guys I was talking to were operating a route between Lagos and Port Harcourt.

overun
20th Feb 2011, 08:34
lf it helps the vor let down is based on a facility that`s about a quarter mile away from where it`s suppost to be.
Use whatever you have to, take up the hold for a procedural let down and then follow the plate, listening out.
And watch out for the "nose down" at 3-500ft if the autopilot is engaged.

Best fly the approach manually.

Take care.

InSoMnIaC
24th Feb 2011, 09:17
Dengue-Dude - I used to find Lagos ATC scary, it's all done on DME and thank God we had TCAS.

haha. It would be more dangerous when they get radar coverage for the whole of Nigeria as opposed to only Terminal Area Radar at Lagos. abuja. & Port Harcourt.

I have all to often witnessed the over confidence of the radar controllers in Lagos. They try to do everything at once and when the ****e hits the fan they go quiet.

Imagine that Happening all over Nigeria.

I tend to feel more comfortable flying into Lagos when the radar is off the air.

overun
6th Mar 2011, 23:30
What ? you fly into Lagos ?

Have you warned atc ?

swedflyer
10th Mar 2011, 08:04
The Lagos guys are the rudest ones I've ever heard on the radio. When they give you a call, it sounds like they lean back in their chair tapping the microphone button with their toes. "-Unreadable". The same procedure again. "-Unreadable". Then they finally lean forward but instead of being clearer, they SCREAM into the microphone.

During an approach to 18R we were given a radar heading, flying 15 nm parallel with the centerline "due traffic". Once clear of traffic, we were "cleared approach 18R". "-Sir, we're 15 miles parallel to the centerline". The reply was; "-Do what ever you want." :ugh:

piratepete
10th Mar 2011, 13:56
This is how it works once you enter Lagos airspace.Everyone is extremely aggressive, pilots, controllers, the lot.You cant just wait your "turn" on the radio.If you do that, you will literally end up over in Timbucktwo waiting for a clearance to descend etc.Everyone actually SCREAMS into their mic, its quite a painfull experience.Recently in my big jet trying to get descent clearance, I watched my very polite FO waiting his turn.I took over and just did what every one else does and rudely screamed over and over the top of everyone else in a very loud voice, with the transmit button on continuously until the idiot gave me an answer.It is outrageous that things are done this way, but it is the only way, its a very sad state of affairs.Its the only place on the planet that this seems to happen.I cant blame the various pilots for being so rude on the radio as there doesnt seem to be another way.Its shocking, and a big flight safety hazzard.Lastly.......listen out very very carefully to other traffic being given clearances, as it is not unusual to find your TCAS coming "alive" with an intruder being incorrectly cleared through your level etc in close proximity due to controller FCUK ups.....be carefull.Pete.