PDA

View Full Version : Load sheets for LCC

learjet50
19th Feb 2011, 20:38
Could any one please answer/Solve the following Question.

I will take an Easy Jet Flight for exemple I am not after any trade secrets or anything Sinister

An A319 is flying from A to B Total Seat available say 160

However only 50 people booked/Show at the Gate

As it free seating on EZY do they have to wait until everbody on and know where they are sitting before they can complete the Load Sheet or do they simply Block seats off so they cannot be used by Pax which on a Turnaround must be Very Difficult

Even if a 319 can be loaded with Pax and it does not matter where they sit as there would be no Trim issues the Pax loacation should still be shown in each compartment ?

I can understand Baggage as it a known number X a Notional weight so you know where they should go

I await your reply with curiosity

Thanks

Piltdown Man
19th Feb 2011, 21:38
I can't speak for EasyJet, but generally you either prepare a loadsheet or have standard loading plans for various ranges of passenger numbers. These plans are tested against a traditional loadsheet to check for conformality and may even be test flown in the simulator. With light loads, there may be restrictions where passengers can sit and limitations as to which holds may be used for baggage.

PM

Out Of Trim
19th Feb 2011, 23:38
easyJet A-319s config is 156y. A load form is completed prior to boarding with the breakdown of the expected pax and actual bag weights used for the bags checked in. There is a guide issued by easyJet for the Dispatcher to determine where to load the bags for an acceptable trim.

This information is fed into a rugged laptop by the Flight crew into their weight & balance system. They would use an even pax bay split for the fuller flights. However, if the pax load is below 100 ( I believe ) then the cabin crew will indeed count the actual pax bay split during the headcount and the actual pax bay split will be entered to give the final figures prior to departure.

750XL
20th Feb 2011, 02:51
Can't say for Easyjet as I haven't flown on one of their flights with a low passenger load but on FR I've seen cabin crew block off seats with the tray tables (must to the annoyance of pax who wish to sit together despite turning up to the gate at the last minute :*)

trident3
20th Feb 2011, 10:13
HERE IS THE SCIENCE BIT..

The EU-OPS (ANO of the past) makes is a legal requirement for the person presenting the loadsheet and balance chart to the crew, to have provided an accurate mass and balance database which can be proven, (as indeed you will have to do of there is an "incident" !!).

If a loadsheet is produced by a linked up DCS system (check-in with loadsheet entries combined actions) then the loadsheet will reflect the TRUE balance as passengers had seat numbers allocated and sat in those seats, linking up the data of where they are sat against the "seat row trim" on the loadsheet by the passenger zone distribution.

There is no need to redistribute passengers as you have recorded a true balance state on your loadsheet and could actually COMPROMISE safety by moving passengers about for visual comfort and speadability for the crew.

If a loadsheet/trim chart is produced MANUALLY or COMPUTERISED at either the Ops office or on board by the FLT DECK crew's own hands and laptop, (not linked directly to pasenger seat row numbers) but based on estimated zone split in the cabins to achieve by bay row or free seating distribution, then the LEGAL OBLIGATION on the loadsheet presenter to the crew, is to ensure that the CABINCREW and FLT DECK crew are made aware of the bay split distribution to be achieved and that the CABINCREW actually carry out and report to the FLT DECK crew that the passenger "spread" is as per the distribution dictated by the LOADSHEET OFFICER or the FLT DECK CREW.

Most LCC may have "FREE SEATING" status and the onus put on CABINCREW to evenly distribute the passengers in various BAYS when they board and visually run to their chosen seats.
Sometimes, even spread is not achievable due u/s seats or u/s doors.

The captain still has to be told that the distribution is as required by the company policy in the GOM or by the instructions of the LOADSHEET PRESENTER/FLT DECK CREW.

DCS and MANUAL loadsheets that use a BAY SPLIT (0A 0B 0C ETC)for trimming will have had a safeguard built into the balance chart's CENTRE OF GRAVITY (MAC%)by reducing the SAFE ENVELOPE RANGE to allow for some risks of variances of load shift by using FREE BAY SEATING BY AREAS.

Ultimately, when the captain signs off the loadsheet, the presenter of the loadsheet, regardles of whther they PREPARED it or just PRESENTED it, must have done and confirmed to the crew, their basic pre-presentation checks to ensure that the passengers (as well as the deadload) are considered in balance purposes for what the loadsheet reflects and what the TRIM STABILISER will ultimately be set for take off for.

The PRESENTER of the loadsheet/balance chart is perhaps the last GROSS ERROR CHECKER before the quick turn-round activities in the flight deck have been acheived and therefore the agent is a crucial link to air safety and accident prevention, (even if it is sometimes appears to be the government minimum wage for the job of TCO/runner etc !!)

In the event of an "incident" take-off/in-flt or landing phases, then the mass and balance documents presented to the aircraft will form a vital part of the enquiry, so if you have PRODUCED by CLP method or PRESENTED as a TCO/runner etc, be prepared for the potential summons if you didn't undertake your work at aircraft side with due diligence and complete accuracy of reporting.