PDA

View Full Version : Civilian CPL student to RAF/RN ATCO

tayportflyer
19th Feb 2011, 11:43
Hi all, (unsure if this should be in ATC or Military Aircrew but )
I am a PPL(A) and currently studying for my ATPLs, unfortunately I am currently experiencing some unforeseen financial problems.
Situation I am currently in leaves me 2 options as I see:

1. Finish my ATPLs and join RAF/RN as ATCO for a leaving me in my mid to late 20's when leaving the service and gaining my CPL/IR during annual leave..etc..

2. Get a dead end job while saving and do the flying as I go.

All I am really after is some advice as to which service is best for ATCOs and if there is a shortage/demand for ATCOs in ether service giving me best chance of getting in. I have around 5 months to decide which course I intend on taking I would love to stay in the civilian world but ultimately I think joining RAF/RN could give me some experiences that would be alot more rewarding than working in tesco/asda.

Cheers

TPF

Melchett01
19th Feb 2011, 12:05
But given the current climate, you will have more chance of getting a job in Asda.

We are shedding people left right and centre, many if not most branches are not recruiting in your time frame. And when they do start recruiting competition will be even more fierce than in recent years and you will be up against individuals who have wanted to do nothing more all their lives than join up, rather than joining up to fill a gap in their financial circumstances before they leave to do what they really want to do.

Probably not what you want to hear, but right now really isn't the time to be applying for any of the Services 'on the off chance'

airborne_artist
19th Feb 2011, 12:47
I'll be a contrarian - apply - it costs nothing. You may get in, you may not. 30 years ago I started a selection process with 1200 other applicants. Nine passed - including me. A statistician would have told me not to bother.

If you want it badly enough you stand a strong chance of getting it. If it just a holding position for something else you want more, then you probably won't get it. Good luck.

If it's not a silly question, why are you not applying as aircrew?

tayportflyer
19th Feb 2011, 13:01
Thanks Chaps.
airborne_artist:
Reason I'm not applying as aircrew is mainly the shorter service time and the fact I really can't see any improvement to the current situation (ie: 150 students laid off,) I have always wanted to do ATC stuff .Was always a 50/50 what I did, now I've done some flying I have caught the bug but 6/9 years of ATC really doesn't faze me.

NutLoose
19th Feb 2011, 15:32
One would have thought you still need to recruit Pilots, even if you are losing 150 now, if the ones that are are going are because of no vacancies now and coming to the end of their training, sense says you will still need some pilots in 4 years or whatever it takes to train from scratch, take up any natural wastage......... does that make sense?

minigundiplomat
19th Feb 2011, 16:15
does that make sense?

Very little going on in the RAF today makes sense. One of the few traditions the RAF has is to lay off pilots only to realise later that they are suffering a shortage.

fabs
19th Feb 2011, 16:37
Good luck with whatever you decide. But AA asks a fair question and you can bet your life that you'll be asked exactly that at OASC.

Lightning Mate
19th Feb 2011, 16:46
1. Finish my ATPLs and join RAF/RN as ATCO for a leaving me in my mid to late 20's when leaving the service and gaining my CPL/IR during annual leave..etc..

2. Get a dead end job while saving and do the flying as I go.

A military selection board will ascertain your lack of military motivation in minutes. No hope.

I would go for option 2.

Standby!
19th Feb 2011, 17:33
Tay.

As a relatively experienced ATCO, I can comment on your 'asspirations' (sic)!!! I reckon you need to set your sights a tad lower if you are after 'the easy life' in the interim. The ATC course is not as easy as you think and to quote previous Pruners, motivation (the right kind!) is a must for anything military. So, pushing trolleys at ASDA is the way ahead I am afraid. :ouch:

tayportflyer
19th Feb 2011, 19:22
Standby, Lightning Mate.
I never once assumed the ATC course was "the easy life," I for my own reasons have wanted to do some form of military service for most of my life and I have always wanted to do some form of ATC although in more recent times that has been on the backburner while I got my PPL and then jumped into a ATPL ground school course. I'm not even saying that I would leave after the original "hitch" if I enjoy the work as much as I think I would, I would more than happily stay. If I decide to do something I am going to do it and my motivation if only to prove others wrong is absolute.

Fabs,
That was something I pondered long before I posted here, I guess I'll be honest explain why but hopefully convey my enthusiasm for aviation and my belief that ATC is a vitally important part of the system that I would be honoured to be involved in.

And with that, Monday morning: I'm phoning a man about an interview.

TPF

AllTrimDoubt
19th Feb 2011, 19:56
No need to wait until Monday morning; Tesco/Asda are open tomorrow.

tayportflyer
19th Feb 2011, 20:27
touche. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

alfred_the_great
20th Feb 2011, 12:54
I'm not sure how long a Dark Blue ATC choice will remain a valid one. It's a very small cadre, and one that could be filled with Light Blue coming to sea with us for a couple of years at a time....