PDA

View Full Version : Ag flying is the future bright

Wildpilot
19th Feb 2011, 11:08
I'm at the point where I have been in GA for a few years flying bush in Africa and some open ocean float time. I have always toyed with trying to get into Ag flying/crop spraying and have done quite allot of research.

A few months back I spoke to a couple of operators in Oz who said with my hours 1800TT, if I had the rating and was prepared to drive/mix chemicals they would have had me flying within three months of starting.

Some of them indicated that there is a shortage of ag pilot due and also that if you are experienced and have a good name in the industry the money can be good. I'm aware of the danger and how long and fatiguing the hours can be and I'm under no illusions but it still appeals to me. I have made contact with a couple of guys who do the ratings in oz and I'm just after any tips or advice about this side of the industry from people who have been there and done that.

Is it a skill you can travel with, I have residence in a few countries including OZ, NZ and CA.

Is it always seasonal and can you make enough money during the peak for the quiet times.

What sort of wages do new ag pilots start on and can potentially earn once experienced, are you paid by the load or salary etc etc.

I have heard that pilots used to suffer with all sorts of illness due to chemical exposure, have these issues been sorted out with the use of protective equipment etc.

Or any other advice and tips would be much appreciated.

Wildpilot
19th Feb 2011, 11:32
Oh and is it a growing industry, excuse the pun I mean with increased world population and hence food production. I guess I would like to know if I invest the time and money to train that it is going to be around in a few years.

I realise there are ups and downs in line with agriculture etc.

Wildpilot
19th Feb 2011, 20:07
There must be someone who knows about this industry, it certainly looks like a challenge judging by this awesome video.

YouTube - Aerial Crop Dusting - Australia (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65KLN5gDHzI)

Wildpilot
20th Feb 2011, 22:47
I would guess by the lack of response that the future is bright and you are all busy flying.