PDA

View Full Version : Rio de Janeiro

JAA/FAA Pilot
18th Feb 2011, 18:34
I am looking for a contact that could help me with an introduction to helicopter operations in Rio.

Where could I find a publication on all Helipads and Heliports in the Rio area? Online? Pilot shop/Store?
Found a lot online but nothing official.

May be in Rio de Janeiro with a private helicopter for a few weeks.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

sycamore
18th Feb 2011, 18:56
Nothing about heli-ops there,however; don`t wear bling, only carry enough cash you can afford to lose; don`t go barefoot on the beach; don`t go down any sidestreets; but you may well know all that...

ReverseFlight
19th Feb 2011, 02:06
don`t go down any sidestreets

A member of my family was walking on the main street facing the beach (i.e. not side street) in broad daylight and couldn't shake off these guys until he ran into one of the large hotels for help. :zzz:

Soave_Pilot
19th Feb 2011, 02:11
Okay.. Let's not scare the guy away...

Just hang on the tourist areas, and you will be fine, there are plenty of police man on the streets, it's a beautiful city and you will enjoy it...now if you want to venture out on the favelas... not so quiet there for sure.

There are helicopters routes on Rio, just like any other big city, you will find the publication at the pilot store, one that I know is goaheads.com, (REH rota especial de helicoptero) If you have a updaded South America, or Americas... not sure..:confused::confused: software version of your GPS unit, it usually shows on it, I have a Garmin 430w and it does appear on it.

There is a small book published by air BP (yes, the petroleum company) where it contains all the helipads, heliports, frequencies, airports etc. etc. It's called "Pilot's Help" You can usually find them at BP office in the airport, if the fuel there is provided by BP, they give them out for free. You can ask around, everybody knows it.

Hope it helps:ok: