PDA

View Full Version : Life At AI...??

svm94
18th Feb 2011, 17:33
Whats it like working at AI as a 777 pilot? How are your fellow pilots...salaries...destinations you visit....typical schedule? All those things. How did you manage to land a job there..?? My dream is to fly the 777 for air india and i would love to hear from people who are living my dream and how they managed to get there.. :)

cyrilroy21
18th Feb 2011, 18:28
777 at AI

hmmm....

I think it all depends on who you know :E

LOFT
18th Feb 2011, 19:48
well it actually depends more on Who knows You. :E

but besides that here is a very recent article on the AI scenario,which might make you reconsider your dream.

No pilot shortage, RTI exposes Air India's lies (http://avindia.********.com/2011/02/no-pilot-shortage-rti-exposes-air.html)

A new RTI document has laid bare Air India's claim that it suffers from a shortage of pilots. Air India has the largest fleet in the industry, but information obtained through the RTI Act now shows that Indian Airlines pilots are under-utilised despite the airline's complaints of a pilot shortage. Pilots, bound by contract to fly a minimum of 60 hours, actually fly for less than the minimum. In December 2010, commanders from all four regions flew just 53, 58 and 49 hours per month which is far below their full capacity. Pilots say poor management of schedules since Air India-Indian Airlines merger is one reason. But another reason for this is that there are not enough flights.
A look at the list of domestic and international flights presented before a Rajya Sabha Parliamentary committee last month shows that 32 flights, most with heavy passenger load of 85-95 per cent, one even 100 percent were cancelled outright - all within the last six months.
18/02/11 Raksha Shetty/CNN-IBN

vserian
19th Feb 2011, 03:27
I am one of them who is living your dream.:)
I always consider it 50/50, it feels like the best job out there in India but at the same time it can be a pure crap. I ve been with the Airline for nearly 10 years, initially starting on the A310 and was in selection for the 747-400 but they sent me to the 777 instead. Roster is bad and pay is average. We not getting what we deserve and be prepared to miss home a lot. Last year i wasn't at home for diwali, pongal, new year and my wedding anniversary. Other than that it is a dream job and worth being there especially if you always wanted to be a pilot on big jets. We mostly fly to the states and Europe. We do make few short hops here and there, including charters and domestic.

Anyways if you want to ask anything more, just give me a PM.

All the best and hope your dream come true one day!

cyrilroy21
19th Feb 2011, 04:23
@Vserian

How many hours do you fly in a month ?

Also how many days off do you get in a month ?

vserian
19th Feb 2011, 06:44
Around 70 hrs a month..

and for your next question, we dont have something like that.., i mean there is no exact answer for this
as far as getting off days in India, you will be here less than 10 days. There been times where I was only in India for only 2 days a month. On ultra long haul you can see most pilots travelling with their families, cause there are times where you will be on a long layovers in a destination.

sky jet
19th Feb 2011, 08:59
svm94,

"its ok i wont mind missing diwali if im busy flying a 777 :P"

Everyone thinks that when they are 21. When you are 41, 51 or 61 you will only care about how much it pays and what days off you get. It is amazing what a wife and kids will do to your outlook on airline life. Before anyone gets their undies in a wad about that statement the reality is that I still love airline flying after 23 years but your priorities about how important it is and what airplane you fly do tend to change with the years.

Jet

svm94
19th Feb 2011, 09:50
@skyjet

ya you're probably right....oh and im not even 21....16....still in 11th grade. :)
are you an airline pilot..?

Valentino_Balboni
19th Feb 2011, 09:56
@ skyjet,

Very Well said. The initial "glitz" and "awe" dies down in a few months, if not days.
Life from thereon is pretty much - what I draw, when I draw, and how do i make up for the times I havent been there with/for my family.

As someone wisely told me when i started out - "An ILS is an ILS, whether on a B77W or a F27, be it at EGLL or at VOCI !"

sky jet
19th Feb 2011, 12:10
Well SVM94 don't let an old uncle like me break your dream. Just know that priorities change. Yes, to answer your question, I am an airline pilot of 23 years and have been flying for 33 (since before I was your age). Now I feel ancient!

Jet

vserian
19th Feb 2011, 12:55
svm94

Dont get me wrong but keep this in mind. You would want to be a pilot to fly an Airplane not just a 777, you should fly anything that comes in your way. There would be time when you might have the choice to fly whatever you want (still it depends). There is nothing wrong is dreaming, most of us were like you one day, daydreaming of myself in a 747 cockpit when i was in your age.

The others are right, the "cool" thing of being a pilot will fade quickly, you will find yourself worrying about the working condition, off days, family matters and pay. When i started I usually look forward for my next flight but nowadays I usually look forward for the off days that I get at home.Even the way I dress up changed a lot, long back I put on everything Cap, wings, jacket etc...Nowadays I dont even bother If my Uniform is ironed well, I mean That doesn't mean that I am fed up with this career, flying is everything to me and I would do this for rest of my life but there are other priorities and enjoyments especially when you are married and have kids. Many of my colleagues doesn't prefer to fly long haul, they do want to go back to the AA320 and B737s.

Anyways to answer your question, back in the days its wasnt that hard to get into Airlines, they would hire you when you are fresh out from the flight school. Like everyone did i applied with all the airlines then when they call you you have interviews, test and stuffs. They put me on the A 310 then they called me to move onto the 777. And I dont think every pilots in AI would like to fly the B777 because your whole lifestyle can change when you change the plane..

Hope that helps!

svm94
19th Feb 2011, 13:38
@vserian
thanks a lot...for bearing with my overly excited and curious mind. It was great talking to someone who was living the dream. :)

superdunkaroos
19th Feb 2011, 17:00
vserian whats your take on the current situation at the national carrier?

Major management shuffle, top bosses being sacked left right, pilots and union not happy, uncertainty over government infusion of required amount, the dubious hiring of pilots from the back door.

Seems like it has been in the situation that Air Canada was a few years ago although Air canada has turned things around recently.

dharav
20th Feb 2011, 20:55
hello sir....i am a cpl holder frm newzealand..20 yrs..i m doin my type-ratin on gulfstream in usa....as a private charter is offering me a right seat...

one thing i would emphasise on is the pay package...
what we can expect after 5 years flyin b737 or a320...?the salary and allowances...

i really love flying...i have flown cessna 152,172.p68,c90 and da42 ...but if your words says the life of a pilot" always called glamourous" is like what you told owrst after age 35 or some when you need vacations and family time...i becme a little concern about tht ....