View Full Version : METAR question

Nostalgiac
17th Feb 2011, 18:02
Hi,

I have a question I can't seem to find an answer to, and I'm hoping someone here can help. Does anybody know the height at which wind speed is measured at METAR stations in the U.S.? If it varies by location, is there a source someone can point me to that contains the information?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Nostalgiac
17th Feb 2011, 19:08
Wow, I was able to find the answer! 10 meters is the standard per the Federal Standard for Siting Meteorological Sensors at Airports.

Thanks to all who are (were) searching!

Phalconphixer
17th Feb 2011, 19:11
Presumably it depends on the height of the station anemometer...like maybe atop the tower perhaps?
DECODING AVIATION ROUTING WEATHER REPORT (METAR) (http://atmo.tamu.edu/class/METAR/quick-metar.html)
pp

Topcover
18th Feb 2011, 21:16
Defined by ICAO Annex 3 that 10 m is the worldwide standard that should be achieved.

Mark Meeker
19th Feb 2011, 05:54
Aviation Weather Services AC 00-45F. issued by the National Weather Service would be the "official" source to look this up. Or FAR-AIM Chapter 7. I would think that due to the nature of a METARS or TAF, it is designed to determine surface weather conditions at a given point for determining or predicting weather conditions at departure or destination airport for flight planning purposes, its ground based and below 300 ft or so. :)