PDA

View Full Version : How difficult is it to fly a helicopter?

trancebrah
17th Feb 2011, 16:04
Sup guys, I'm new to this forum, 22 and have just one more year of college left. Currently, I further my education at Rutgers University as a Biology major. I have aspirations on becoming an orthodontist in a couple years :)

I just found out that I won't have to take summer classes so I thought I might make way at something that interests me, flying a helicopter.

I searched online for a school around my house, closest is 1 hour away, but I don't really mind traveling.

After reading a few websites, it says I will need roughly 45 hours of dual instruction, and 20 solo hours (sounds like a challenge). Expenses can also range from $15k-20k depending on school.

Ultimately, my question, is flying a helicopter really that difficult? I assume the first 4-5 times may be hard/nerve-wracking like when we first drove a car, but after that it should probably become second nature.

I honestly wouldn't mind having a part-time job to pay bills if I get into Dental school. I really want to gain this knowledge though! And I know I can do it.

Also, how long does it usually take one to obtain a license? Will 3-4 months be enough time for this summer? And how many hours should you practice afterwards before someone will actually hire you?

Whirlygig
17th Feb 2011, 16:15
Reading a few websites, it says I will need roughly 45 hours for dual instruction, and 20 solo hours (sounds like a challenge). Expenses can also range from $15k-20k depending on school.Doesn't sound too far off the mark but it does take more than 4 or 5 hours for it to be second nature - trust me on that one!!

You will also have theory exams to pass.

Best thing to do ... call that local school and book a half hour trial lesson. Chat to the instructor and he or she will tell you what you need to know.

There are different aspects to flying and what one person finds hard, another may find straightforward whether it be hovering, landing, radio, navigation, handling, theory etc.

Cheers

Whirls

parasite drag
17th Feb 2011, 16:17
"how many hours should you practice afterwards before someone will actually hire you?"

Hire you for what ???

trancebrah
17th Feb 2011, 16:23
Doesn't sound too far off the mark but it does take more than 4 or 5 hours for it to be second nature - trust me on that one!!

You will also have theory exams to pass.

Best thing to do ... call that local school and book a half hour trial lesson. Chat to the instructor and he or she will tell you what you need to know.

There are different aspects to flying and what one person finds hard, another may find straightforward whether it be hovering, landing, radio, navigation, handling, theory etc.

Cheers

Whirls
Haha! excuses for my poor judgement on the second nature part, I have yet to start!

What exactly is a theory exam?

I'll definitely call for a half-hour trial lesson, I guess from there I'll realize if it's for me or not.

Hire you for what ???

I was thinking on the line of private transport. It sounds like I'll be going somewhere new every single time, and it'll be awesome looking at the particular area's scenery.

Whirlygig
17th Feb 2011, 16:31
Theory exam ...er, what it says on the tin ... an exam/test to determine that you know the theory - air law, rules, how the blasted thing works!!!

I think the other confusion is "hire". As a private pilot you are not available for hire as that would be commercial work for which you are not qualified.

However, you will be able to hire an aircraft for your own pleasure and to take friends and family flying. You will not be able to earn any money from this.

Cheers

Whirls

Gordy
17th Feb 2011, 16:35
trancebrah....

Hey it is so cool you posted on here.....I was kinda thinking the same thing. I had toothache the other week and thought--"how hard can it be". So I found some websites and stuff, and they show you how to do a root canal.

I fly fire most of the year, but normally November thru February are free. I thought I might study up on this dentist gig, and maybe earn some extra money over the winter. Of course , the orthodontist bit is like one step above a regular dentist right? It might take me a few more months to study for that gig.
:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

parasite drag
17th Feb 2011, 16:42
this guy "knew" he could do it too...and he found it pretty easy...
YouTube - Rich Idiot and Helicopter (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Pn2UKMeBXo)

griffothefog
17th Feb 2011, 16:54
Mate,

Don't listen to the morons on this site. :=

You could teach a monkey to fly a helicopter in short order with none of the attitude...:E

If you can rub your nuts and toss your helmet at the same time.... your in :ok:

Course, I can't torque from personal experience................:p

John R81
17th Feb 2011, 18:01
Trancebrah

You have to ignore the odd bitter individual who wants to make fun of others through an anonymous forum. It takes less effort to be helpful and it makes the world a happier place.

It is not that hard to learn to fly if you have some basic aptitude. As advised have a trial lesson. Most people can handle straight & level, slow turns at height but don't be put off when you find that you can't hover strait off. It takes almost everyone a few hours instruction and practice to hold a hover.

Your expectation of time is about right but it could be a little quicker if you are considering taking instruction in a block - flying every day.

You have ground exams in Air Law, Meteorology, Principles of Flight, Navigation, Radio, Human factors. Keep up with the exams as many fall behind here.

When you get your Private license you can fly alone or with others but you can't take any paying work. You would nee a lot more studying, ground exams, and flight exams to get a commercial license. Even after that you would need a number of hours practice before you can take paying work.

There is nothing cooler (my opinion) than piloting a helicopter. Go for it!

Lonewolf_50
17th Feb 2011, 18:13
trancebrah

How difficult is it to fly a helicopter?

Compared to what? :confused:

Learning to fly takes study, effort, and "want to."

And money, as noted.

If you are studying science in college, and doing well, you have the mental acuity to handle the ground school/scholastic angle of preparing yourself to fly. You may also need to look into a medical exam. When you contact the flying instruction school, as suggested above, they should be able to recommend why, when, and possibly a few "who" in the local area.

I learned to fly a fixed wing aircraft before I learned how to fly a helicopter. Hovering for the first time was humbling. It's learnable, but I'd say it's an acquired skill. A good flight instructor will see you through.

Flying is fun, for sure, but it's also a deadly serious undertaking. If you take your friends up flying once you earn a pilot's license, you have their lives in your hands. Please remember that the first time you do take a friend up. Things can go pear shaped up there ... so if you take no other advice from "old hands" than this, remember this priority list

Aviate
Navigate
Communicate

Your instructor will of course wish to drill that into you as you learn to fly. May as well have the mantra embedded in your long term memory ahead of time. :cool:

Best of luck. Study hard. Take it seriously.

I hope you are able to fund your desire to fly. It's a wonderful thing to do.

Flyting
17th Feb 2011, 18:33
10 points for Gordy.... If I ever meet you I'm buying the beer......:D:D:D

trancebrah
17th Feb 2011, 18:34
Whirly, John, and Lonewolf, thanks for the help guys!

I did some more research and found out exactly what all of you mentioned. I'll be fine obtaining a Private License, I'll earn my money through Dentistry in the future. Besides, I'm sure it'll look great to put that I have a Private Heli License on my Dental school app :) I usually do okay on exams as well so I'm not worried about those either. Besides the Radio, the rest sound pretty interesting.

Luckily, I found a place 30 minutes from my house that I frequent quite often! It's going to cost around $11k-13k depending on how many hours I fly, I hope they have a payment plan!!!

It's $250/flight which is the best price I've found

trancebrah
17th Feb 2011, 18:36
Gordy, sounds like you're mad brah

did I take a **** on your life accomplishments?

I was unaware earlier, now I'm aware. So chill, princess

Hedge36
17th Feb 2011, 18:44
Gordy's humor ain't for everybody, but it works if you don't take it personally. :)

Flying a helicopter isn't hard. Deciding that you'd rather fly than eat, that's the hard part. And the way things are at the moment, if you're not 100% committed to chasing the work, you'd be better off putting the monetary investment into dental school or whatever else blows your skirt up.

I wouldn't recommend it as a passing fancy unless you just want to get your private ticket and bomb around on the weekends. If nothing else, that'd be a great ice-breaker on dates with cute dental school girls.

trancebrah
17th Feb 2011, 18:48
haha Hedge that's what I was thinking.

I bet you guys can sweep a girl's heart by taking her on a heli ride. I know if I was a girl I'd find that really attractive (no homo)

You make it sound like flying is really fun!:ok:

I'll do the work though, I'm free this summer

John R81
17th Feb 2011, 18:53
You are likely to make much more money from private dentistry than you ever could from piloting a helicopter. Few on here can afford to buy their own machine, professional pilots drive other people's machines (in the main).

There's nothing wrong with having a great day dob that earns you loads and pays for a fantastic lifestyle and expensive hobbies.

Best of luck!

Whirlygig
17th Feb 2011, 18:55
I hope they have a payment plan!!!If you don't heed anything else on these forumas, heed this:-

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT

Save up or pay as you go ... if you can't afford to go flying, don't go.

Also, it is wise to look at the the location of the poster; in the UK, we have a very different training regime to the States.

Lastly, get a thicker skin. You'll need it.

Cheers

Whirls

Gordy
17th Feb 2011, 19:24
Brah.....

To echo what Whirls said:

get a thicker skin. You'll need it.

And for all the others....especially John.... Y'all did not notice he is from NJ.....

Therefore Brah..... only ONE exam for you. And what is with the "Hawaiian"?....Flew there for many years.......in between dental visits....

Gordy
17th Feb 2011, 20:34
SoCal..

Gordy - I hear that if you skip the classes on Novocain that it reduces the overall course quite considerably. I mean who needs that stuff.

I hear ya....I was thinking of opening an "all service bar", that way, said patients would pay for their own liquor, be happy to sit in the chair, and will blame the next day pain on the hangover rather than bad dentistry......

Soave_Pilot
17th Feb 2011, 23:06
Oh Man! With all this rumour around, reading this forum cracks me up..:}:}

My PP cost me 18k 4 years ago. You prob won't do the checkride flight until 60 hours.

And Job wise... you wont get any "part-time gig" until you are a comercial rated with at least 500h.:ok:

RS15
17th Feb 2011, 23:58
nowt wrong with planning ahead. almost finished dental school and with over 3.5k hours mil rotary, couldn't find the time/cash/brain cells to do both! damm root canals.
If you want to do 'private transport' - nice scenery great, but please do pay attention - ground hurts...pk=1

good luck:ok:

topendtorque
18th Feb 2011, 02:02
Actually it's as easy as fallin' orf a log, much easier when yer pi**ed, like.
The hard part is trying to remember which way you are supposed to be going after you are fifteen minutes going with about fifteen others and about twenty years of bein' pi**ed every night all night.

Then of course trying to say something smart-ar*e back to the bright young thing who springs you in-less-than-a-heartbeat when you call up on the ol' two way an' ask for a rundown on the days mustering tasks for everyone - the program that you designed yourself.
Yeah that's hard.

As for the dentist bit, titanium pins that break orf, cows cartilage that won't graft in, an', the $$$$'s, no I won't go there. Wish it was just drive by, like shooting.

RVDT
18th Feb 2011, 07:03
trancebrah,

Now that you are here (pprune) just look around.

Most on here do imitate flight with a helicopter so..............................how difficult do you think it can be???

As quoted you can teach a monkey to ride a bike, but he is just screwed when the chain comes off!

Shane_G
27th Feb 2011, 00:49
Flyting, I hope you're lucky enough to meet Gordy. He is the man! With his help I got my CFI rating in 3.3 hours flat when it was taking everyone else between 15 and 20.

And instead of assuming he's some jaded old codger, it might do trancebrah some good to pay attention to what he is saying so sarcastically. Only a very RICH person, or an idiot, would think they can go get a private license and use flying helicopters as a part-time job. The reality is, if you want to fly, you have to arrange your life around it. There are way too many pilots and way too few jobs. Pilots move to where the work is and you don't do that for a part-time gig. If you want to make money flying, you'd better plan to make it your primary career.

toptobottom
28th Feb 2011, 09:08
trancebrah

Flying a helicopter is easy; any idiot can do it. Flying a helicopter 'professionally' and knowing what to do when the unexpected occurs is what makes it slightly less easy. IMO planning diligently, being in control at all times, being aware of your environment and not being tempted to push your (or the machine's) limits, are what distinguishes a good pilot from qualified pilot.

This industry has some of the biggest egos on the planet ("How can you tell a helicopter pilot at a party? He'll soon tell you...") and if you poke around here, you'll a lot of them at work. You'll also find some of the most experienced and knowledgable pilots in the world on this forum, as well as the world's greatest characters and sense of humour. As an owner, you'll need pockets deep enough to cope with the occasional surprise (there will always be a surprise somewhere along the line) and, as has been said before, a thick skin - both to fly and participate on PPRuNe. Your induction won't be complete until you've been flamed at least once by an ego hiding behnd an anonymous user name :ok:

As John R81 said, there are many ways to earn more money, but flying a helicopter is the most fun you can have with your clothes on and is very cool indeed :cool:

newfieboy
28th Feb 2011, 13:26
Hey Gordy, there's folk around here calling you an old codger. Bugger, guess that makes me one also :ok: You out on fire again? Me out moving drills in Quebec. Stay safe mate....maybe catch up on fires somewhere this summer :ok:

GPS user
28th Feb 2011, 19:57
Mate take a look around the next time you are near a chopper, that bloke over there shaking and drooling is very likely the "Captain", he will no doubt love to tell you how to make a living doing something else, heed his humble words of advice.

Gordy
1st Mar 2011, 03:32
Shane....
With his help I got my CFI rating in 3.3 hours flat when it was taking everyone else between 15 and 20.

I was a piece in the puzzle, most people have the skill, (as did you), but just needed the right guidance to bring it out. Difference between an "old codger" who has done it many times and a new CFI I guess...... But thank you for the acalade...

Um...lifting

Meet him, buy him a beer, and let him prove to you he's a jaded old codger, like the rest of us.

Thank you....beers are always welcome......

newfieboy....

Yep, back in Missouri already on fires. Saving lives, "homes and precious acreage" as they say.... Fly safe up there... I will be in Idaho again in the summer....come on down and drop some buckets with me......