PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter Cowboys

ATCAdam
17th Feb 2011, 01:49
BBC News - Helicopter cowboys of Australia's Outback (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12408888)

Thought I'd share this; as to me it looks like some pretty impressive flying! Most likely not impressive to those with a few hours under their belt, but still interesting regardless. :ok:

Not suprised on the 10 crashes a year figure, weaving in and out of those trees like that!

madman1145
17th Feb 2011, 03:19
Well, I find it a bit hard to distinguish the skills between these two movies - the maneuvers looks a bit the same :uhoh: ..

50MbPACZF-4
The BBC movie from the previous post.

uI4d5AeAi7g

Rotorwashed
17th Feb 2011, 03:50
geez, thats insane. 1:16 was a near miss, and 1:50 i swear his alternator light is on!

madman1145
17th Feb 2011, 04:03
You are right. Actually there are two yellow/yellowish lights on, one is for sure the ALT, but I can't make the other one, haven't seen a yellow light to the left of the oil pressure gauge before in an R22, unless its his low voltage light that has come on, which would make sence with ALT disengaged or broken ..

Note also the AIS at approx. the same time, 20 sec. in the movie, flying/hovering beside that cow - AIS at approx. 90kts. - well, what the hell, its probably just a blocked pitot tube :E ..

- madman

nothing better 2 do!
17th Feb 2011, 08:14
What's wrong ladys jealous ??:}

17th Feb 2011, 08:47
Can you see the CAA allowing that in the UK????

Apparently there is some regulation in Aus otherwise they might have higher accident rates;)

madman1145
17th Feb 2011, 08:49
Jealous ?? - njahh, I just like to stay alive, mate - in contrast to one of the helicopters in that BBC movie - Investigation: AO-2010-073 - Robinson helicopter R22 BETA, VH-THI, Tindal Aerodrome E M 174 Km NT, 4 October 2010 (http://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2010/aair/ao-2010-073.aspx)

Gravity is a bitch, exceeding the limits ..

- madman

Heliringer
17th Feb 2011, 09:14
Between the 4th Oct 2010 to the 9th of November 2010 there were 5 mustering accidents: 2 of them fatal. There could have been some more dings etc that were not reported.:ugh:

TRC
17th Feb 2011, 09:35
Mind you, an R22 must be even cheaper to operate when you run it on testosterone.......

That lights normal!
17th Feb 2011, 11:06
one is for sure the ALT, but I can't make the other one, haven't seen a yellow light to the left of the oil pressure gauge before in an R22

Maybe it's the one to indicate that the Hobbs meter is turned off? (Double Profit mode)

lelebebbel
17th Feb 2011, 11:08
There is a high accident rate in the mustering industry and there are some of dodgy operators and pilots. Still, one can not seriously judge the mustering industry based on a 3 minute video, where a few guys spin some R22s around for the cameras.

Anywho....
anyone know what that white thing is, hanging out the right hand side on VH-THI? Looks like the oil filter? What is that doing out there?

see video at 1:59ish

That lights normal!
17th Feb 2011, 11:39
A remote oil filter? (popular,and good idea, IMHO).:ok:
Some angle them out for "cooling".

SASless
17th Feb 2011, 12:31
Whoopee Ty Ri Yo! Get along all you doggies!:ok:

bellfest
17th Feb 2011, 12:50
Man oh man.... You could not ask for a more poor representation of the helicopter mustering industry if you tried!

Heliringer
17th Feb 2011, 12:55
I read your post and raise you "Keeping up with the Joneses":yuk:

one of the yellow lights is probably the GOV OFF light and it's good to see the low stress techniques are kept up when the camera is rolling:ugh:

oldbeefer
17th Feb 2011, 13:05
Think the title, 'Flying Cowboys' says it all.

Pandalet
17th Feb 2011, 13:51
I believe the left light is similar in position to where I've seen a rotor brake light on R22s. The upper one might be the alternator, oil filter or governor off lights - it's hard to see exactly where it is on the console.

nigelh
17th Feb 2011, 20:01
I think you will find that it is not a light at all but just a ray of sunlight that happens to go in one ear of the pilot and comes out of the other ear and then onto the panel

This phenomena is well charted amongst Robbo pilots i am told ....

Pandalet
18th Feb 2011, 07:47
Oooh, you! I had a really witty rejoinder all lined up, but a stray ray of sunshine caused me to forget it. Hey, shiny things!

heli-cal
18th Feb 2011, 08:36
For a sector that loses about ten aircraft and crew a year, I'd imagine there's no shortage of applicants.

AndyBuckley
18th Feb 2011, 10:32
It's not just Robbo pilots who suffer from 'ray of sunlight' syndrome..!!

Worth Watching #54 | VTOLBLOG (http://vtolblog.com/?p=4354)

Rgds

nobloodywind
18th Feb 2011, 10:46
I wonder if the pilot of THI is the one that crashed it? Cowboys is a good name, not for me, oh boy. I do not agree with nigelh and Pandalet, it looks as there would be no lights on anywhere and the heads would be way too thick to let anything through. nowind.

Nubian
18th Feb 2011, 13:50
AndyB,

Allthough the pilots in the clip in your link is flying more ''cowboy'' than what is necessary for the work to be done, you can take a look at the control of the concrete-bucket the guys have, mind you all ''in cowboymode'' time being an empty bucket.
Would be nice to see how the guys in the video is handling the B3 with a full load...... I bet it would not look nearly as ''impressive'', hence the reason for it not making it into the movie... I take it the whole reason for those manuvers was to look cool for THAT movie... (most likely done by a buddy of the pilot that has been coming along for the day)
That was regarding the pilot... sunshine or not..

Now, to compare a B3, probably with 45 min fuel onboard with a empty bucket on return, yes a bit more altitude, but for sure NOT 40 OAT, to a R-22 like in the first clip is comparing potatoes and coconuts.

Things are a lot safer with 2 makila's on top, 2 drivers, on auto-pilot at FL050... but alot less helicopter-ops as well...

Cheer up sofachiefpilots...