PDA

View Full Version : Engine runing with no Fuel filter!

Capt. Phuong
16th Feb 2011, 21:51
Hi all!
We are using Eurocopter, EC-225 in Vung Tau, Vietnam, it quite very good helicopter. last time when we are flying, the filer logging warning on, then after landing, engeener staff do the inspection. they found the the filter of that engine just has cover with no filter insite! not good for tobomeca engine.

mainbearing
16th Feb 2011, 22:21
Ah so Captain, you are velly lucky, hope engine is ok, me not so lucky, fuel pilter flypast lite come one on, we check and engeener tell me engine phukd

Saint Jack
17th Feb 2011, 02:28
mainbearing: Was that entirely necessary? Why don’t you write a post in Vietnamese and let us all have a good laugh at you.

Capt. Phuong: Ignore ‘mainbearing’, even the helicopter business has its share of retarded morons.

A few questions about the engine:

1. Was it recently overhauled or repaired by Turbomeca? If it was, then contact them immediately and explain what you have found and ask for the corrective action. Depending on how long the engine was operated without a fuel filter element this corrective action may be relatively simple (and cheap) or you may have to replace the engine. Whatever the corrective action is make sure you submit a warranty claim.

2. Was it previously serviced by SFC? If it was, it is quite simple to identify the occasion when the filter element was omitted. Determine the last maintenance event (100Hr., 300Hr. Inspection etc.) by date and AFTT when the element was scheduled to be replaced. Go to the store and enquire if a fuel filter element was issued to this helicopter at this time.

3. Was any maintenance performed on the engine after the last scheduled filter element replacement?

Let us know what happens

industry insider
17th Feb 2011, 04:43
Capt Phuong

I believe your EC225 is almost new? Do you think this is a Turbomeca problem or a recent maintenance issue?

Mainbearing, you are a dil. Captain Phuong is a gentleman of the first order and you should delete your offensive post.

mtoroshanga
17th Feb 2011, 06:54
If you check the Maintenance Manual there should be a Chapter regarding limitations when engine is operated with filter in by-pass. I feel sure that this will be the criterion they will apply.Good post!

jp4toulon
17th Feb 2011, 18:54
The first to know is: Wich filter is missing?
Because the main fuel filter ( each side, one for each engine) is located in the cabin, on the wall in front of each sliding door.
The engines themselves have only a filter on the FCU, also fitted with clogging indicator, but without any warning light.
Also, with no filter element installed ( airframe filter), the light will never come on! The system works by using a differential pressure. So, without the cartridge, the pressure before and after will stay stable....:E
Hope that will help;)

joker68
18th Feb 2011, 04:13
Thank You Capt Phuong. (who indeed a fine gentleman). As we have just received our first 225 and expecting another one next week, all posts with regards of the aircraft are welcomed.:D

apexx
8th Apr 2011, 14:10
Thanks alot Capt! really appreciate it..

SilsoeSid
8th Apr 2011, 16:59
I'm not familiar with the technical details of the 225 engine fuel system, but to have the fuel filt caption illuminate and then to find out that there is no filter in the housing, surely must mean there is some serious stuff/gunge in there clogging the space the filter should occupy.

Perhaps an inspection of the fuel bowser may be in order ?

HeliComparator
8th Apr 2011, 17:40
siloe

There are two filters that can bring on the clogging indicator in the cockpit - the airframe one behind the trim in the cabin, and another one actually on the engine itself. The engine filter is finer than the airframe one. jp4toulon, your comments are incorrect.

I would presume that what happened here is that, with the airframe filter missing, any small contamination that would have been removed by this filter, got through to the engine filter (which is very sensitive to contamination) hence the light came on. There is also a mechanical clogging indicator on the engine filter so the technicians would be able to see whether it had actually bypassed, or whether it was just an impending bypass.

Phuong, I hope you are keeping well since I last met you (EC conference in Saigon), and it would be interesting to hear more details about this. Please ignore "mainbearing", he is just a rude and ignorant person and not worth bothering about.

HC

eivissa
8th Apr 2011, 18:56
Regarding the positions of the different fuel filters. Ive extracted the relevant pages out of the aircraft and engine training manual. HeliComparator is spot on.

Download EC225 Fuel Filter.pdf from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way (http://www.sendspace.com/file/4ln2rb)

SilsoeSid
8th Apr 2011, 19:51
HC;
I would presume that what happened here is that, with the airframe filter missing, any small contamination that would have been removed by this filter, got through to the engine filter (which is very sensitive to contamination) hence the light came on.

The good Captain tells us,

they found the the filter of that engine just has cover with no filter insite!

So I read it that there was no engine fuel filter fitted.

HeliComparator
8th Apr 2011, 20:04
The good Captain tells us,

they found the the filter of that engine just has cover with no filter insite!

So I read it that there was no engine fuel filter fitted.

Bearing in mind the language difficulty I think it would be bold to presume that when he says "filter of that engine" he means "filter on that engine" as opposed to "filter for that engine", however you could be right.

HC