PDA

View Full Version : Letter for the Jump Seat......is well worth it!!

Captain Numpty
12th Apr 2001, 02:20
On my return from DFW last Saturday, on a BA 777-200, I presented a letter to the Captain requesting the Jump Seat. Within my letter, I explained the reasons for my request and advised the Captain that I had documentary evidence of my CAA & FAA Licence's should he wish to see them. Within a few minutes of being in my seat in "Coach", the SFO approached me inviting me up to the deck. Upon arriving/ introductions, the Captain commented on just how much "he" appreciated my letter and that it really was the best way for Wannabes to request the Jump Seat.

I stayed with them for the T/O.....crusie and landing, spending a total of some 3 hours with them. It was a very motivational and inspiring experience for me and something I shall never forget. It is also very encouraging to note that most BA Captain's are still prepared to welcome us Wannabes on to the deck despite that shcoking Nairobi incident.

Anyway, to all those concerned.....a big thank you from me.......You know who you are.

A very grateful C.N.

G SXTY
12th Apr 2001, 18:19
Yep, worked for me too.

Just hand your log book / licence to the cabin crew as you board, together with a polite letter explaining why you want to visit the flightdeck.

I expected a 5 minute visit at best, so when the FA came back and asked if I wanted to go up for the take off, you can imagine the size of my grin. I managed to stay for the entire flight (STN > AMS) & loved every second of it.

I just hope I'm in the position to offer the jumpseat myself in a few years . . .

------------------
Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit pruning.

G-BPEC
12th Apr 2001, 18:48
Take a look at:-

http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/Forum57/HTML/001126.html

Cheers
G-BPEC

Captain-Ireland
13th Apr 2001, 04:00
I got jump seat or should i say jump stand heh. On one of BA's turbo props from Belfast City to Manchester. On the way over the captain was completing paper work while the FO who just happend to be from my home town was chatting to me. We got a traffic warning from a Ryan Air jet taking off below coming straight for us. The FO said he missed a call to climb 1000ft i guess that was my fault. So with thaughts of crashing into the tarmac at MAN because i was distracting this guy i returned to my seat, and lived happely ever after. The END hehe.

I didnt hand in any letters or log books or any thing. I just asked if i could speak to the captain when i was boarding.

Nayan Mistry
13th Apr 2001, 19:12
On the other hand...

Flew to jo'burg from LHR last week and passed on my immaculate letter (with appropriate photocopied sheet from my logbook) to the cabin crew on boarding.

Wasnt allowed jump seat.

Subsequently disposed of the letter.

On the return leg, politely asked to speak to the captain during the cruise. After a few hours of interesting conversation, was invited back to watch the landing into heathrow.

I guess it all depends on the Captain (or the quality of your letter!!).

VFE
13th Apr 2001, 20:22
Hi folks,
It really is great to get invited up into the jumpseat.

First time for me was (I feel like a little kid now haha!) over to Bilbao on Go-Fly out of Stansted. PPRuNes Crashdive had kindly put a copy of my thread, requesting the jumpseat, into the Captain and First Officers pigeon holes. Top bloke because on boarding, after handing my ickle note to the Flight Attendant, I was shown straight up to the F/D.
That was my first time on an airliner (well, I did have a trip when I was 3 but memory is weak!) and one I will always remember. Thanks CD!

Coming home afterwards, same trick. Note to the Captain, handed to the F/A, sit and wait.
Out pops the Captain and waves me up! Jeez, I couldn't believe my luck! Get into cruise and the Captain turns out to be PPRuNe Towers! Small world. We chat very briefly about his website before we decend and land.
Cracking trips - thanks again guys, beers for you at the Bash me thinks! :)

Second and only other J/S trip was with BA over to Miami earlier this year on a 747-400. Was allowed up for the landing - it felt as if we were still at FL100 when the rear undercarrage was hitting the runway! High? Wow!!
Coming home got the T/O and landing. Gatwick was shrouded in fog at 0715 so they did an autoland. Interesting stuff, I felt as privilaged as ever. Top marks again guys - we never discussed PPRuNe but maybe you read the site and can recognise that nerd in the shorts and tee-shirt in -4c of fog at LGW - sunburnt! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif Was that me? http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/redface.gif
I knew it was going to be cold in England but I was so burned up from Florida I really did not care! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif I had visions of myself rolling in the beautiful cold frost at LGW!

Thanks to all the pilots who allow us up there, I too hope to be in a position to do the same myself one day.

Regards, VFE.

[This message has been edited by VFE (edited 13 April 2001).]

Grandad Flyer
14th Apr 2001, 13:57
A letter can be good but don't make it too long or presumptious. Just a basic "I'm training for a CPL and would love the chance to visit the flight deck" would be fine.
Don't need your licence or logbook really.
The advantage of a letter is that the correct info comes to us. Sometimes you might tell the cabin crew that you are a pilot training for a CPL but we don't get that message. And if we get a message that "someone has requested the jumpseat for take off" that doesn't go down too well.
Sometimes there are reasons we can't get you up the front. For take-off its usually because we got the message too late or you asked too late. During the flight you might have asked too late. Or there might be some training going on. Although usually if you get turned down for a visit during the cruise I would say its because the Captain can't be bothered.
I have asked when passengering on other airlines aircraft and got the response "sorry they are training today". Only 2 pilots are announced in the PA so its either a new Captain or a new FO. There is no real reason not to have someone come for a visit during the cruise.
Often we will have a visitor up during the cruise and, if we know they are keen and in training for a commercial, we may invite them to stay for the landing. But we like to meet you first, so its difficult for take-off. The general rule on the flight deck is don't talk below 10,000 feet and try and listen for radio calls. Short answers help.
If you can get a message to the company before you fly that helps too. You can send a letter to the airline before your flight or if you know people in the company ask if they would put a message in the operating pilots pigeonholes - usually let both FO and CPT know because if there are any roster changes one or other might not get the message.

Trislander
15th Apr 2001, 17:22
I just simply asked the stewardess shortly before take-off from LAX-LHR. When she returned after take-off, she said that I could go up to the flightdeck. My sister was also interested, so she tagged along too! I must have been up there for about 1.5 hrs, before I decided to head back to my seat, and keep out of their way. The pilots told me about PPRUNE, and I discovered it when I got back. I don't know if they are reading this, but the flight was VS 024 LAX-LHR on Feb 21-22 2001. If they are reading this, do you remember me!?
Tri