PDA

View Full Version : Spain's new carrier

mmitch
16th Feb 2011, 08:28
I see Spain's new aircraft carrier has begun trials with its first helicopters.
Harriers next, perhaps they will buy our GR9s. ;)
First aircraft lands on 'Juan Carlos I': key.Aero, Military Aviation (http://www.key.aero/view_news.asp?ID=2943&thisSection=military)

Spain was supposed to be nearly broke wasn't it?
mmitch.

Aynayda Pizaqvick
16th Feb 2011, 10:03
Why would they want our GR9s when in the Matador+ (with radar, unlike ours) they already have a true multi-role aircraft?

vbombv
16th Feb 2011, 11:21
Magnificent vessel.

Unfortunately the lack of manpower and funds means that even though Spains vessels are amongst the most advanced in the world most will remain tied up for long periods due to lack of crew and operational budget. Mind you they do keep Navantias order-books filled with domestic and foreign orders and this keeps people in jobs although, not the 20% unemployed..

The JC will mostly be in H mode and used for aid so no need for Avs & even if operated in carrier mode Spain would just hold on to her avs until/if the f35b is in production and then a small order would do as they have no plans in invading anyone. Our Harriers will be making razorblades soon, nothing else. No-one wants them or needs them, which is a shame for such a historic aircraft, but nostalgia does not pay operational costs and the taxpayer has more pressing issues paying the rent for everyone and the travel expenses for meps...

The Helpful Stacker
16th Feb 2011, 12:51
Our Harriers will be making razorblades soon, nothing else.....

Composite razor blades, that could sting a little.;)

tonker
16th Feb 2011, 16:28
Unlike the Argentinian Skyhawks...

LiveLeak.com - Lockheed Martin A-4Ar Fighting Hawk. Tactical Fighter. (http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f12_1297864576)

Squirrel 41
16th Feb 2011, 17:09
vbombv,

Did the Armada Espana reactivate their Sea King AEWs? I met an observer ex SK AEW who was very bitter about their deactivation.

S41

vbombv
16th Feb 2011, 20:19
I'm no expert as I live far from where they were based but I was on PdeA late last year and there were no AEW around at all. Actually there were only 3 harriers, which they probably use all year round and keep the others in good nick :)

Checking on some of the armada forums and the idea I got was that replacements still way up in the air due to recalculations/adjustment with the NH-90 order. Right now instead of 103 there will only be 45 (28 to Armada). Originally 6 were to be AEW versions but now as far as I can tell there are only going to be a couple of airframes left over that could be used as AEW versions and thats before further cuts... I would say 2019 give or take a few years for any type of replacement to show up or be Frankensteined.