PDA

View Full Version : When is it OK to rescue someone?

as350nut
16th Feb 2011, 06:17
On January 13th in the midst of flood chaos in Sth Queensland, and after no response from Emergency Services or SES, Mr Clive Palmer with the best intentions sent his Augusta Koala A119 from Caloundra to Moore to rescue his staff. On the way back newspaper reports point to the helicopter pilot also rescuing 16 more from a local school. Some papers report total number as high as 60 people. Images of people stuck on car roof tops, with raging torrents around them, with maybe only minutes from certain death, was on the news every night for a week. My question is; If I am overhead in my as350 and I go down to pick them up and get them to safety, is that ok? What if I blow them off the car roof and they drown? What if they grab the skids of my R44 and it all rolls over? Is it a case of, if it all ends well then great, if it turns to sh*t then your on your own? Whats the difference if you are a private pilot, commercial, rescue trained, AOC holder, AOC holder with rescue on the ticket? I have heard, but unsubstansiated that Mr Palmers' pilot has had a please explain from CASA, but this is rumor only.

g-mady
16th Feb 2011, 07:29
in the words of our "stale" TRE "its just too easy to get it wrong!"

MADY

the coyote
16th Feb 2011, 11:36
Probably only if you comply with the conditions of, and declare, a mercy flight and submit the required paperwork afterwards.

Agaricus bisporus
16th Feb 2011, 12:00
What are the first words in the ANO?

To paraphrase, " Nothing in these regulations shall prevent you from taking whatever action is necessary for the purposes of saving life"

So, do what you can, but overstep your ability, prudence, or just get unluckly and you may well be answering questions preceeded by the words, "Your Honour..." though perhaps more likely in a civil court than a criminal one.

However, when houses are being washed away with people on their rooves you'd have to be pretty cowboy to get slapped down for trying. And pretty callous not to.
Personally I'd see the CAA got an explanatory letter from me about it before they heard a sensationalised version from another source.

rick1128
16th Feb 2011, 14:56
Several countries like the US have a 'Good Samaritan' law. It purpose is to protect those who step up and take whatever necessary action to save a life(s). You might look into that in your location. The primary limit is 'what is the reasonable and prudent' action. And I would definitely contact my regulating authority as soon as possible. No one likes being surprised.

Flyting
16th Feb 2011, 15:01
I'd rather lose my license for a bit than live the rest of my life knowing that I could/should have saved those peoples lives...

What Limits
16th Feb 2011, 15:08
We should perhaps invite 'whoateallthepies' to remind us of his experiences with the CAA following the rescue of a drowning person with a police helicopter

SASless
16th Feb 2011, 21:15
Nah.....just fly over and wave as you go by!

What the heck....it is only a couple of human lives at risk....plenty more of them about to replace'em!:ugh::=:rolleyes::mad:

17th Feb 2011, 09:05
The general idea is not to put the rescuee in more danger from your rescue attempt than they were in before you tried to rescue them.

rotornut
17th Feb 2011, 14:08
The law in Canada - and I suspect other common law countries - is that there is no general legal obligation to rescue someone. To quote from a legal textbook "The law leaves the remedy to a person's conscience".

However, if a person attempts a rescue, he is regarded as "entering voluntarily into a relation of responsibility, and hence assuming a duty". He must use reasonable care in dealing with the victim and would be liable if he abandoned the person in a position of danger.

If you want to read about a botched marine rescue and what the Court had to say, go here:
CanLII - 1970 CanLII 34 (ON C.A.) (http://www.canlii.org/eliisa/highlight.do?text=horsley&language=en&searchTitle=Ontario&path=/en/on/onca/doc/1970/1970canlii34/1970canlii34.html)

MuratKayin
18th Feb 2011, 21:00
You must think twice before doing anything. ıf you are well trained and believe in you you may do something.
I am telling this as a SAR pilot and been in action several times. IT IS NOT EASY. believe and trust me.

bast0n
18th Feb 2011, 21:28
Simple - do what you think is right - it is your call - you are there and "they" are not.....................

BigMike
19th Feb 2011, 01:19
"Crab" is right.
The main thing is not to try anything outside your ability.
Something like this (see pic) is pretty normal for those who fly in the bush, and daily do "toe in's", dropping off Geo's etc, or the rescue guy's who have the training.
Just be carefull of getting caught up in the "moment", and putting the aircraft, and yourself somewhere you really don't want to be...

http://firegeezer.com/files/2010/06/flood-a-helicopter-France24.jpg

ppng
19th Feb 2011, 05:46
A lot of years ago a guy I worked with tried to rescue someone and it all went horribly wrong. He died, but his insurance company refused to pay out because they said he was doing something that he was not trained or qualified for and so they argued that he did not exercise adequate "duty of care". The last I heard his wife (and kids) had received nothing.
Harsh, but true.

Agaricus bisporus
19th Feb 2011, 12:14
The main thing is not to try anything outside your ability.

YouTube - Fun on a speedboat with a chopper (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH5H-2wPfb8)

Quite!