PDA

View Full Version : converting JAR to FAA

liquidhockey
12th Apr 2001, 01:23
can anyone tell me howmuch it would cost me to convert from a uk atpl license (JAR) to an American one (JAA)?
thanx in advance
Dave

Pielander
12th Apr 2001, 01:32
Your dignity for a start.

liquidhockey
12th Apr 2001, 01:36
its a serious question
Theres no room for sarcastic people like you pie on pprune.
its for people who are serious about flying not for freaks like yourself!
Dave

Pielander
12th Apr 2001, 01:42
Well I'll bet you're a great laugh on the flight deck! And before you say that this is just another sarcastic point, just have a think about it.

Flare_you_fool!
12th Apr 2001, 01:53
LH,
Assuming that you already meet the flight experience listed in FAR 61.159 for the issuance of an ATP certificate it will cost you about $80 dollars for the written test and then $1000-$1500 for the training and skill test. There are places that will do an all inclusive courses if you meet the requiremnets for about $1500 and 3-5 days.
FAR 61.159 Flight time requirements are:-
1500 hrs of flt time that includes at least
1)500 hrs of x-country time
2)100 hrs of night time
3)75 hrs of instrument time (actual or simulated not just on an IFR flightplan)
4)250 hrs of PIC of an airplane, or SIC performing the functions of the PIC under supervision.
There are sub divisions to the above 4 areas but theses are the main flt time requirements
Hope this helps
Regards
FYF

dick badcock
12th Apr 2001, 17:18
Pielander. I suggest you are more of a pie eater than a pie lander. Pull your head out of your a** and try to offer helpful advice.

BTW, what would I rather do, work for some underpayed European airline or roll in $400000 plus in sunny Florida?

Thanx for good info FYF!

Pielander
12th Apr 2001, 22:43
Dick

That was a very hasty and ill thought out posting, since you have clearly neglected to find out anything about the person you are insulting. Most of my postings on other threads are informative. Need I bother saying more?

As for telling to "pull my head out of my a**", that doesn't seem to make any sense at all. Could you please explain to me why you think I'm arrogant, Otherwise, I shall continue to assume that you are ignorant.

You and liquidhockey are both entitled to your own opinions on the the FAA/JAA question, as am I. This was the point of my first posting on this thread, put into as few words as possible. It was NOT a personal insult. Clearly neither of you picked up on this subtlety, and consequently you have both gone and done done exactly what you are misguidedly arguing against.

FYF: It's always a shame when good advice goes to waste. Hopefully someone will eventually come across this thread who can actually make use of it.

Pie.

PS - Dick: If you don't have anything mature to say about this, then please don't bother replying.

dick badcock
14th Apr 2001, 02:36
Pie

I thought it was a pretty funny reply actually, and in fact about as relevant to the original post as your first reply.

Asking about conversion procedures from JAA to FAA is a valid question, considering that US pilots (working for majors) are paid 100% more than any airline in Europe. So, your inital reply to this was arrogant, and thoughtless. So typical European thinking everything over here is sooooo great, and the thought of leaving it all behind to go work in the US is soooo bad you have no dignity....

BTW, I am sure liquidhockey wasn't looking for a useless reply as yours was. He was looking for info, and thanx to people like FYF, his question was finally answered.

To quote yourself: "If you don't have anything mature to say about this, then please don't bother replying"

Come on pie, serve up something better than that.

[This message has been edited by dick badcock (edited 13 April 2001).]

Pielander
14th Apr 2001, 03:21
Dick

Fair point - and if you had said that originally rather than saying "pull your head out of your a**", then there would have been no need for that little addendum. I realise that my first reply was flip, and did not answer the question, but it was not what reduced the thread to the level of personal insults, which I deplore. I think anything that provokes debate is equally valuable to the forum as a 'straight answer'.

I think the FAA/JAR debate is an ineresting one, and your point about salary differences certainly raises a few questions, including the question of whether in fact it should be the JAR authorities who should be pulling their head out of their a**. JAR training requirements are certainly over-regulated, and the fact that pilots with FAA qualifications regularly fly into JAA member states without causing safety concerns just goes to highlight the hypocracy of the system. I do wonder if the excessive JAR regulations over training have not so much to do with safety, but more to do with extracting tax from trainee pilots.

Further banter welcome...

Pie.

[This message has been edited by Pielander (edited 13 April 2001).]

Flare_you_fool!
14th Apr 2001, 07:36
Pie,
You raise an interesting point,
Linked is a listing of US aircraft hull losses, operating in airline ops, since 1982
I believe Europe has very similar figures.
www.ntsb.gov/aviation/table4.htm (http://www.ntsb.gov/aviation/table4.htm)
Regards
FYF

[This message has been edited by Flare_you_fool! (edited 14 April 2001).]

Pielander
14th Apr 2001, 14:58
Good info FYF.

I think the figures are so low that you really need to look at individual incidents. From looking at these tables, I get the impression that this fuss about approved, modular training is more part of a political "safer than thou" movement than a serious drive to improve safety statistics, rather like the introduction of new tests in the JAR medical. I would be interested to see how many accidents have actually been attributed to "insufficient pilot haemoglobin".

Did you say you found something similar for European carriers FYF?

Pie

Flare_you_fool!
14th Apr 2001, 15:41
Cannot find an absolute european figure but did see an insurance industry video in groundschool which compared accident rates across the world, europe and the US were within 0.5% if memory serves me correctly.
China, far east and africa had some work to do to catch up
Regards
FYF