PDA

View Full Version : Keeping a Frozen ATPL current after finishing an Integrated Course?

KermitRulesOK
14th Feb 2011, 16:04
Hi guys,

I recently qualified as a commerical pilot from Cabair Integrated. I hold a valid CPL, IR, SEP and MCC certificate.
I have also just joined a local flying club and plan to fly cessna 172 at least once a month.

I'm confused as how to keep my licence current and valid until i find a job in the airlines.
I know you have to renew the IR every year. But what's all this about the 3 take offs and landings in 90 days rule? Is that just so you can carry passengers if i rented an aircraft for the day?

Thanks

Whirlygig
14th Feb 2011, 16:16
You will probably find that the local flying club will have more stringent currency rules like 28 days.

Cheers

Whirls

Hakeem
14th Feb 2011, 16:29
As long as your medical is valid your license is current no matter how long it is... The 90 days limit is just to carry passenger and to keep your self current.. If you didn't fly in last 90 days you just got to do a dual flight before you go for solo or to carry passenger..... Yes IFR has to renew every year... Hope clears your doubt!!!

MIKECR
14th Feb 2011, 16:32
You've just finished an integrated course and have an SEP, MEP, IR and a CPL and you dont know how to keep everything current......what on earth do they teach people these days!??;)

mad_jock
14th Feb 2011, 16:44
Your license will be valid for 5 years from the date its issued and you have a CPL not FATPL ;)

Now the ratings attached to that license have various lengths of being valid as well as various methods of revalidating them.

IR as you state is 12 months and can be revalidated either in the aircraft or in a FNPT II

MEP again 12 months can can be revalidated only in the Aircraft.

And the SEP is 2 years and in the second year you must have done either 10 hours flying 5 of which must be as PIC or you have a test with a SEP examiner.

The 90day rule (which i might add has a rather large thread running in private flying) is only to do with flying pax. It is class dependent ie if you have met the requirments in a MEP it doesn't cover you for flying SEP and vice versa. But because you hold a SPA IR you don't need to have done any night TO and landings to be current for that.

That all said on the 90 day rule clubs all have indivdual requirements for renting which will be alot stricter than this rule which will apply if you are 90 day current or not.

Ohh and the 90days is only to cover you for pax, I recently went solo in a SEP after not having flown one one in 110 days.

KermitRulesOK
14th Feb 2011, 17:46
Thanks for the help guys!

I've been reading through the 2010 LASORS so i was getting quite confused as you do when trying to understand most CAA publications.

I completed a checkride on the 172 at Wellesbourne yesterday so next i plan to go for a quick solo circuit session to get used to the aircraft and then i will be able to carry passengers.

Hope the airline industry picks up in the next year or so!

CAT3C AUTOLAND
14th Feb 2011, 19:08
MadJock,

For the SEP dont you need to do 12 hours hours flying where 6 have to be PIC along with 1 hour dual with an instructor in the proceeding 12 months to renew by experience?

Kermit, all this should be in your air law manual from you ATPL ground school.

mad_jock
14th Feb 2011, 19:17
Yep thats the cherry 3c just done a day of security and my head is a bit frazzled.

KermitRulesOK
14th Feb 2011, 19:39
I've had a look through all the air law notes we used in ground school but they only stipulate the requirements for issue of the licence, not re-validation.

I will definitely be able to manage the 12 hours for the SEP, i'll be flying more than that at the club. I will probably let the MEP lapse and do the first IR renewal in the sim later this year. I spoke to the CFI at my flight school and to renew the MEP i only need to do a one hour checkride in the twin if i let it lapse, it's a shame twin rental is just too expensive to fly regularly.

CAT3C AUTOLAND
14th Feb 2011, 20:03
Oh ok, good, thought the rules had changed.

Security? Got mine in 2 weeks :ugh:

mad_jock
14th Feb 2011, 20:41
That disruptive pax video is beginning to get on my tits like both the teneriffe videos do in CRM. And as for that one about what bits of guns look like :mad: :ugh: