PDA

View Full Version : QF32 in DXB

Ken Borough
14th Feb 2011, 09:01
QF32 due in Sydney tonight is now delayed to arrive Tuesday morning. Channel 7 News tonight reported that it diverted to DXB as a result of it being denied Iraqi overflight for want of clearance. I thought this kind of caper was a thing of the past but who knows? Does anyone know why they really diverted?

I can almost hear the punters breathlessly revealing all to Kochie on their arrival. :mad:

Trent 972
14th Feb 2011, 09:36
A Qantas plane flying from London to Singapore was diverted out of Iraqi airspace on Monday, the Australian flag carrier said, after officials on the ground refused to recognise a pre-approved flight plan.
QF 32 had to divert to Dubai to refuel as a result, a Qantas spokesmodel told AFP, describing it as an "unusual" incident.
"The flight path was interrupted by Iraq Air Services who would not allow the aircraft into Iraq airspace due to them not recognising the authority (to enter) and the pre-approved flight path request," the spokesmodel said.
Qantas was now liaising with Iraqi authorities to determine why the plane had been denied entry
Woo Hoo, they got the story right (for a change)

Jabawocky
14th Feb 2011, 10:55
Fly around the feckers and do not pay any outstanding airways charges.

When they complain exercise commercial muscle. Simple as that. (assuming they pay charges to Iraq on an account of sorts).

If the story is that simple.........FFS:ugh:

Clearedtoreenter
14th Feb 2011, 11:21
Nothing to worry about... they just have some controllers from Williamtown doing a stint there.;)

Baileys
14th Feb 2011, 11:52
Qantas exercise commercial muscle in the Middle East...ha ha ha. Good one.

ennui
14th Feb 2011, 13:09
Was heading North through Ankara airspace last night and heard the initial call to QF32 from the controller stating that Bahgdad would not allow them entry to Iraqi airspace.
QF asked for the Bahgdad frequency and tried to call but at that stage would have been well out of range.
Didn't hear any more.
Diversion obviously due to fuel.
Any one know if they went through Iran or Nicosia?
Last I saw a QF 74 on the ramp in DXB was due a medical divert last year.

Keg
14th Feb 2011, 21:05
This was a Dugong, not a 744.

mates rates
14th Feb 2011, 21:24
Just one of the disadvantages of running around on flight plan fuel.When sh#t happens (to quote Tony Abbott) you have to divert.I don't know if that's what QF do, but it is a good example of why not to follow the bean counters.:ugh:

TBM-Legend
14th Feb 2011, 21:33
yea let's blame Jetstar and AJ....:rolleyes:

Keg
14th Feb 2011, 21:56
Given the re-routing involved in that flight its probably no surprise they've diverted. How much extra fuel should they be carrying? I don't think the bean counters can be blamed for this one unless they haven't paid the bill to the Iraqis for the previous overflights.

Beer Baron
14th Feb 2011, 22:02
Re-routing is further complicated in that part of the world as QF can not fly through Iranian airspace at the moment due to political/financial reasons.

ferris
14th Feb 2011, 22:46
Ahh, the irony of dumping fuel so you can land and get fuel.

It's a long way between ports for a dugong- another little negative atm.

SkyScanner
15th Feb 2011, 00:22
Keg, Qf didn't pay their airways charges through Turkmenistan this week. For the measely sum of $369, Ashgabat cancelled all overflight clearances hence why Qf are flying through the gulf. Oh yeh, it is costing $25000/ night in extra costs to fly through the ME.

Toruk Macto
15th Feb 2011, 02:09
Amazing how many ways QF management are coming up with to stop mainline from flying.