PDA

View Full Version : Do Cabin Crew get to keep their uniforms?

Jackbr
14th Feb 2011, 07:40
The reason I ask is I believe Qantas crew have to return theres, however I've seen at least 2 print dresses in various op shops, and even seen a homeless person in Kings Cross wearing the old Yves Saint Laurent sweater?

Sygyzy
14th Feb 2011, 09:26
How do you know that the person spied in Kings Cross isn't still working for the illustrious company:ugh:

(Given that there was a thread here a while ago where C/C in the USwere suggesting that they were eligigble for food stamps).

S

Checkboard
14th Feb 2011, 10:09
Almost ALL airlines request uniform returns (ESPECIALLY FA uniforms), in order to protect the corporate image.

You don't want them on the sex markets! :O

Japan Airline Stewardess Uniforms Sold to Sex Fetish Clubs - ABC News (http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/japan-airline-stewardess-uniforms-sold-sex-fetish-clubs/story?id=10002036)

Betty girl
14th Feb 2011, 12:24
I think the main reason that ALL airlines require the return of uniforms is for security reasons. They don't want people to be able to pose as airline employees for obvious reasons.

The same applies to the police and armed forces. I believe.

It is very hard to police this though because over the years people have multiple amounts of uniform issued and so a small amount inevitably gets into the market place.

jetset lady
14th Feb 2011, 13:22
Cabin shoes, on the other hand....:E

(Or should that be on the other foot? :confused:)

Rush2112
15th Feb 2011, 04:18
Funnily enough a lot of souvenier places here sell not-exactly-replica-but-quite-close-facsimiles of the Singapore Girl kebaya and sarong outfit to the tourists.

gchangflyer
15th Feb 2011, 08:35
Bettygirl, I'm not sure merely wearing elements of a CC uniform would get you very far if you're trying to breach security these days? You'd need a crew card,ID, airport airside permit...

somedaywill12
15th Feb 2011, 09:57
Yes I think wearing the fashion uniform alone would not enable you to walk into an airport and pretend to be part of the crew... :)

Though in Catch Me if you Can (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0264464/) it seems to have worked, haha. :rolleyes:

frontcheck
15th Feb 2011, 10:17
It is all down to security. At my airline you do not get your final pay cheque until all items are returned, however as stated before because you get issued with replacements over the years it is inevitable that some items are not accounted for. I think I have a "souvenir" from every airline I have worked for,,,and there has been a few :rolleyes::ok: