PDA

View Full Version : Filling in BA application

solo17
12th Apr 2001, 00:27
Hi all,

First time on PPRuNe...I didn't even know this site existed until I was told about it by a cadet at OATS today!

Thanks to the peeps at OATS for showing me around the place today and for the application advice.

Anyway, just filling in the application form for BA sponsorship, hopefully I'll have it in the post by the end of the week. Anyone got any advice on anything they would put in the application form?? Hints/Tips...type stuff....

Looking forward to joining the wannabes on the BA application rollercoaster ride !

solo17

Pielander
12th Apr 2001, 00:54
Put things down that you can talk about (i.e. true things) because they'll ask about them. Try and stress that you're a team player, blah blah, and try and make it sound interesting. Oh, you might want to work in any customer service experience you might have as well.

By the way, are you called "solo17" because you're 17? If so, then what will happen when you get older? Are you going to change your handle every year? If you do, then people won't know it's you, and if you don't, then people will always think you're 17.

Moral of story - plan ahead.

Only joking :) Good question for a novice PPRuNer!! Keep it up!

Pie

solo17
12th Apr 2001, 02:44
I'm a 24yr old IT graduate with 35hrs fixed wing experience.

The name: solo17, It's just that I went solo in a C150 when I was 17!

thanks for the advice all the same ! :-)

Pielander
12th Apr 2001, 02:54
Just out of interest, When you say fixed wing, does that mean you've tried rotary too?

SpeedBird22
12th Apr 2001, 13:54
Hiya,

When you do the question about 'BA as a successful commercial organisation', go onto their website or read books about their history and squeeze every little fact in you can. Make sure you don't make it sound copied straight out of an 'eye-spy' book and it should do the trick.

Find out BA's mission statements and goals aswell and try and work them into your answers. It worked for me!

G'luck,

BAW22

brock
12th Apr 2001, 14:57
Alright mate,

my advice is this...

if you really don't have any good exmples of when you have used certain skills then make some up. Keep them realistic and remember them. make sure you copy your application form just in case.

Also think of other examples as in the interview i was asked to demonstrate certain skills with examples OTHER than those in the application form. Also be sure to take your time filling the form out as it is one big momma.

good luck

flying doc
12th Apr 2001, 16:20
Ummm... I must disagree with Brock on this one. If you can't think of something to put down for a question... think harder... DO NOT make it up. In your interview it is likely that you will be asked in detail about the answers you put on your form. You will probably also be asked for similar examples of how you coped with things, so think hard about each question!

If you lie you may well get yourself in a tangle during the interview and it will be obvious. They wont take a blatant liar! AND there is a clause you sign stating that if you are offered a job, and BA subsequently discovers that you lied at any time, you may be subject to immediate dismissal.

BE WARY and just be honest! It's not as daunting as you think if you brainstorm and spend time on the form. Sell yourself and do yourself proud!

GOOD LUCK

FD

SpeedBird22
13th Apr 2001, 01:43
Yup I also disagree with Brock. You CAN lie, and you MAY get away with it, but it ain't a good way to go about something so important.

If you really havn't got anything to write down at all, then wait a year before applying, and go and DO something with your life because you obviously havn't before.

:) :) BAW22 :) :)

solo17
14th Apr 2001, 15:21
Thanks all for your advice...

There is no way I am lying !!!
I'm fortunate enough to have gained loads of experiences to write about in the application form, work, uni, flying...

I've never done any rotary stuff, just Cessna 150 and 172's

Ta again for your tips.

Thunderbug
14th Apr 2001, 16:43
Solo17 - Here's a good 'un...Pay attention to the detail and read the small print. On the application form (if it hasn't changed) it says "Please use black ink"

I went through the mill about 4 years ago and during a chat with some of the interviewers / selectors, they mentioned that they did reject applications not completed in black ink as they had to narrow down the field some how!

Pielander
14th Apr 2001, 17:01
That sounds pretty much like what they say in the Micropat session: "Reading the instructions is part of the test", hence you can only tab forwards through them, and not go back or ask questions. It's a valid point too.

brock
14th Apr 2001, 21:04
ok you are probably right you don't wanna blatanty lie but if you can think of a situation i don't think there is much harm in adding a porky here or there to make it sound better.

Pielander
15th Apr 2001, 16:50
brock

I have to agree with Doc & SB22 here. The whole point of FB is to work out what sort of person you are. The only things they have at their disposal for preparing the interview are the psych test and your application form, and I don't know how the psych test comes into it exactly, but it feels like the whole interview is based around your answers on the form. You really don't want to be stuck talking for 10 straight minutes about a total fabrication that you've passed off as a highlight of your life. They can smell bull**** a mile off, cos that's their job.

Pie