PDA

View Full Version : Aerobatics Training

taff_lightning
12th Feb 2011, 14:41
Hi Guys

I'm just about to sign up for the basic aerobatics course with Ultimate High at Kemble in Gloucestershire.

Before I do I was wondering whether anyone had any experiences they could share, either good or bad.

I've had a quick search and couldn't find anything more current than 2004. Which I guess shows they've been around for a little while at least.

Cheers

VC10 Rib22
12th Feb 2011, 19:02
taff,

I'm unsure of your flying background but if you are asking this to try and guage whether they are competent at what they do then you can't have researched their background and experience. As to the quality of the training, suffice to say, what you need to be taught will be taught, at the correct pace and in the correct way. I would also look upon lack of available feedback as a positive thing i.e. it is usually the disenchanted who choose to air their grievances.

As for good and bad experiences, you will either (if this is your first time) find you love aerobatics and, more specifically, the art of doing it accurately, or you will absolutely hate it.

I hope it is the former.

All the best.

Runaway Gun
12th Feb 2011, 19:28
I've only had very positive flying experiences with them. They are a professional outfit, with highly experienced instructors who love what they do, with some fantastic aircraft. I could go on, but I'm running out of adjectives.

DX Wombat
12th Feb 2011, 19:59
No matter who you eventually decide to train with, you should first of all have a good look at the BAeA (http://www.aerobatics.org.uk/)website, particularly the "Just starting? Begin Here" page (link is at the top right hand corner of the homepage).

Flying Lawyer
13th Feb 2011, 09:37
taff_lightningI've had a quick search and couldn't find anything more current than 2004. Which I guess shows they've been around for a little while at least.
Ultimate High has been in existence for about 10 years.

I haven't flown with them but have heard consistently good reports from people who have. They have an excellent reputation.

Very experienced instructors (http://www.ultimatehigh.co.uk/pilots.html) + easy access from Bristol = easy decision. :)

Subhuman
14th Feb 2011, 15:50
I would recommend going down there - meeting the guys and having a quick look around - you can normally tell fairly quickly how a place operates by just being there.

Also, there are a few other places in Gloucestershire that do aerobatic courses, I'd always shop around for comparison.

Also the aircraft being used is important, I personally would pay the extra and fly the chipmunk(even though 2 up its a struggle to fly a full sequence without large height loss) but try both if your unfamiliar with them.

Aerobatics training will definitely improve your handling skills & I always suggest people should do it.

taff_lightning
15th Feb 2011, 11:51
Thanks to everyone who came back to me with your thoughts.

I've been down there and had a look round, they certainly look like an impressive set up. I just wanted to check that there weren't any horror stories lurking around. They also didn't ask for all the cash up front, that puts them in my good books.

Subhuman: I know what you mean with the chippy. I've got a couple of hours on type and found it a bit of a handful. As I'm not as current as I could be I'm gonna see if I can get my head around aeros in the bulldog and see how I get on.

If anyone else has any tip bits they'd like to add please chip in.

Thanks again guys!