PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know of any pilot slots available in the reserve?

Trent25
11th Feb 2011, 22:48
I am a 25 year old veteran of the USAF. Spent 6 years in, got out, finished my B.S. in Pro Aero through Embry-Riddle, went to ATP and got my commercial ratings and an MEI. I want to join the reserve as an officer and pilot. If anyone knows the best course of action, have any legitimate contacts, or can give me any advise, it would be greatly appreciated. I am open to any ideas, even operating UAV's. Thanks.
Trent

Really annoyed
11th Feb 2011, 22:56
Can I suggest that you look at the AirForce reserve website as a starter.

Air Force Reserve: Map (http://afreserve.com/?:Base)

BBadanov
11th Feb 2011, 23:15
You perhaps should look at Calif ANG as well?

FFP
11th Feb 2011, 23:36
even operating UAV's

You'll stoop that low ? How fortunate we are to find someone so gracious.

When can you start ?!?!?!?

You won't get a referral through the internet. Google the unit you're interested in joining, ask when the next ATA weekend is and see if you can go along.

Trent25
11th Feb 2011, 23:56
Sorry if I offended you. I have nothing against UAV's. As a matter of fact I have recently applied for a UAV Pilot position in Palmdale, Ca. I merely meant that as an extension of what I am willing to do, meaning it doesn't have to be an actual flying pilot job. Also realizing that I am ignorant, if I may inquire, what is an ATA?

Old Fella
12th Feb 2011, 00:25
Trent25. Firstly, don't take any notice of the "barbs" thrown at you by some posters to this forum. You have asked a ligitimate question. As a former member of the USAF I am sure there must be avenues available to you through which you could get the answers to your question. Surely the USAF has advisors to help with advice regarding post-service opportunities. My advice would be to go back to the USAF with your question, where you probably will not get the "smart-arse" responses some here dish out.

US Herk
12th Feb 2011, 00:53
I'm currently not near good internet, so can't surf a link up for you, but look for the reserve officer accessions office on the reserve website provided previously. Also you can search USAJOBS for guard/reserve vacancies. Also, there may be some info avail on baseops.net as well. Good luck

herkman
12th Feb 2011, 01:30
Stay safe and fly like your life depends on it. I can well understand major where you could be.

Its guys like you that keep this world safe.

Regards and every best wish

Col

PS wish I was young enough to be with you

zondaracer
12th Feb 2011, 02:52
To get good gouge on the USAF Guard and Reserves, you need to go to wantscheck and baseops, PPRUNE is focused on aviation mostly in Europe. Next, each guard unit does it's own hiring so you have to go to each unit's website to see if they are hiring UPT Candidates. You can also call up the officer recruiter OF EACH UNIT, and make sure it is the officer recruiter and not the normal recruiter. Ask if they have a mailing list for UPT candidate announcements or officer announcements.

Next, you need to get the paperwork rolling because it is a long process. You will need to take the AFOQT and TBAS so that you can also get a PCSM score, all of which you'll need. You will also need letters of recommendation. You will need three. If two are not from military officers, you will really be limiting yourself in the process.

Good luck

zondaracer
12th Feb 2011, 02:56
USAJOBS is ok, but most of the guard and reserve pilot vacancies on there are for guys who are already winged military aviators. You really have to start "rushing" the individual units (rushing in the sense of rushing a fraternity)

BBadanov
12th Feb 2011, 03:30
Trent, I have read your initial post -and reading between the lines - it would appear you did not do military pilot training and so are not a USAF rated pilot. Is that correct? It appears that you then got your degree (necessary for a commission) and your ATP and civil ratings, which I do not think will cut it with the USAF. Army maybe?

Try as people suggest, but I don't think you will be recognised by the military as a pilot.

zondaracer
12th Feb 2011, 10:28
BBadanov, the OP can still be a pilot in the Air force. He has to apply and if selected he will go to UPT, which stands for undergraduate pilot training which all Air Force pilots attend whether or not the individual has civilian ratings or not. In fact, civilian ratings can help one be more competitive when they apply. The OP is correct in his thought process. He is trying get sent to Air Force pilot training. He is not trying to fly Air Force planes with a civilian rating. Thanks for trying to provide advice, but we need to be careful that we do not spread misinformation.

The facts:

First of all, one needs to be eligible to apply. The requirements are that you have a university degree, have less than five years of total active federal commissioned service (the OP has 0 years since all his time was enlisted, not commissioned) and there are even waivers for this policy, and must enter pilot training before your 30th birthday, be able to obtain a TS clearance (the OP probably has a secret clearance already and possibly a TS). Applicant must also have passing scores on the AFOQT, and a competitive PCSM score.

The PCSM is composed of three factors, your pilot score from the AFOQT, your TBAS score which is from a device like a big computer game testing hand eye coordination, and your CIVILIAN FLIGHT HOURS (200hrs and up will give you the max score).

Lastly, the member must pass an Air Force class 1 medical which is
Much more daunting than a civilian FAA or JAA medical. They won't have you do the medical until after you are accepted. I actually received a pilot position in the Air Force but I failed the medical. I still have a FAA and JAA class 1 medical.

The Army has their own flight selection procedure but even their pilots must progress through the Army's own flying program regardless if you have civilian flight ratings or not. The Army has more pilots than the USAF but most of them are warrant officers, only few of them are commissioned. The USAF no longer has warrant officers.

Trent, like I said before, if you want accurate information, you can PM me or try other forums. This forum is best for gouge outside the USA.

From what I can tell, the OP is eligible. Having civilian flight ratings will be to his advantage, because a potential guard or reserve unit will feel more confident that the candidate will pass UPT. I have met plenty of guys who entered UPT but never flew a plane before, and they all of a sudden felt that flying wasn't for them and quit. A guard unit doesn't want to take a chance like that especially when they only get one or two slots a year per unit and it takes over a year to churn out a pilot. Lastly, if you are lucky enough to get a slot, don't make it known at UPT that you have civilian ratings. There are guys who walk into UPT with a chip On their shoulder and get washed out, aka fail.

Apply to more than one guard or reserve unit. You may also have to apply more than one year in a row. If they see that you are persistent and they get familiar with your package, so to speak, you will up your chances. Usually, being called in for an interview is excellent, only a handful get picked for an interview out of a large aPplication pool. If you are interviewed but not picked, your shot the following year is really good.