PDA

View Full Version : 60 Minutes A380 story

Ultergra
11th Feb 2011, 21:25
60 minutes on Sunday will be featuring a story with the Captain of the A380 involved in the engine failure near Singapore, late 2010.

It will be a great news story to show the travelling public the wealth of experience that is commonly onboard the Qantas longhaul fleet.

Captain Richard De Crespigny, a convenient hero, yet an apparent 'polluter of culture' in the eyes of the CEO. When it suits buddy, when it suits.

Low and Fast
11th Feb 2011, 21:35
Will not miss watching this, it will be a great story and I'm sure everyone will learn something from this amazing story.

Capt Fathom
11th Feb 2011, 22:00
Storey?

A great and amazing story indeed!

Sunfish
11th Feb 2011, 22:08
How is it that QF's international division is "under threat" when all these new A380 aircraft have been purchased for them to use?

There is cognitive dissonance going on here.

One minute Australian pilots are too expensive. The next they are fine upstanding masters of the skies bring a crippled bird safely back to earth.

Maybe we should replace QF's pilots with ex Indonesian Airforce jockeys. Now there is a cheap, high quality, capable group!:yuk:

Xcel
11th Feb 2011, 22:29
Capt fathom I think he must be referring to the bridge in Brisbane...:p

gobbledock
11th Feb 2011, 22:40
Friends,
Captain De Crespigny, Captain Sullenberger and Captain Al Haynes are what aviation/airlines are all about, pure and simple.
Forget the CEO and executive toads who presently work above and beyond their capacity and capability in an attempt to fulfill their unquenchable greed while driving safety standards into the pavement. If it was not for tens of thousands of dedicated aviation people, plus the likes of the three experienced Captains above, then some airlines would not even exist today. I just hope that some of Australia's so-called 'Top Airline Management' consider in detail the three cases above the next time they they push to have a 17 year old from Kazakhstan ( my embellishment) in the right hand seat of a passenger jet.

I hate to tell you this and dent your tiny ego's CEO's, but in no way do you contribute to an airlines longevity in the long term, it is the gentlemen mentioned above (and many others) that perform that task every day of their lives that keep you airline operational...Now, back to your spredsheets or perhaps history books to learn a real lesson in aviation.

Dangly Bits
11th Feb 2011, 23:49
Well said Gobbledock. I'm with you. Captain De Crespigny will never have to buy a drink while I'm around.

DB

Stalins ugly Brother
12th Feb 2011, 00:26
Heard a rumour this morning that Qantas management contacted Channel nine and asked if the 60 minutes story on the A380 failure could be postponed as they didn't want the pilots shown in a positive light.

Stay tuned!

ozbiggles
12th Feb 2011, 00:47
Well if 60 minutes thrives on controversy let the AIPA have a few minutes on the show, but then again there is a lot of Qantas money going into the commercial channels so no chance.
What a great time to have this segment on.
I can't believe we have got to a stage where we charge more to park you car at the airport then it does to fly to Bn, Sy or Ml.....The CEO's who run the carparks are the real Business men here, not the clowns running Airlines around the world these days.

TIMA9X
12th Feb 2011, 01:49
Well as you'd expect, Kerry, it was calm and collected. Our pilots are probably some of the most experienced pilots in the world.A.Joyce 04/11/2010

Well said Gobbledock. I'm with you. Captain De Crespigny will never have to buy a drink while I'm around.
Same here,

yK5SzV4OBF0

This footage is priceless, how can AJ and Co dismiss the value of well trained pilots? They kick an own goal just by trying! It really is that simple.
The 7.30 Report - ABC (http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2010/s3057604.htm)
For the latest, I'm joined now by Qantas chief executive Alan Joyce.

Alan Joyce, we do now know the bare basic detail, but I know that you've been briefed from the pilot. You've heard from the pilot on QF32. So can you take us inside the cockpit and tell us just how they responded?

ALAN JOYCE, CEO, QANTAS: Well as you'd expect, Kerry, it was calm and collected. Our pilots are probably some of the most experienced pilots in the world. They're trained for this event. Our pilots go through four simulator trainings every year; they practise engine failures. In the cabin with what would've occurred is the pilots actually would've identified at an early stage what they suspected would have occurred. One of the pilots worked on flying the aircraft; the other pilots then worked through the error messages that were occurring; the computer tells them that there is problems. They work through those error messages and then the pilots would've landed the aircraft with immediate effect, which is what they did on this occasion. And the aircraft landed safely and there was no injuries and everybody was OK. my bold

Yep it suited him to praise the pilots then........ this guy wants it both ways, but unlike the 89 dispute, we have youtube to prove his style of management is now outdated. Operational staff at Q have been "squeezed" for 10 years, it is my view, the public and shareholder's will swing back to supporting the high standards the QF techies uphold. AJ really is running out of options, the fact is, his baby J* is bleeding Q dry and reducing standards if AJ gets his way.

Suggest the 89 dispute, as horrible as it was, should not be discussed in reference to today's situation at Q, it is not relevant, this time the management are on the back foot, keep calm like Captain De Crespigny.

Old Fella
12th Feb 2011, 04:39
I think we all know that most CEO's are not conversant with what actually goes on in the cockpit, They are mostly "Bean Counters" being advised on financial matters by other "bean counters" and just maybe, sometimes, take heed of what the crew and maintainers have to offer.

Transition Layer
12th Feb 2011, 05:39
Captain Fantastic (http://sixtyminutes.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8209663)

In November last year, an engine on one of its massive A380s exploded in mid-air. A lot of things went wrong that day. In fact, the flight crew had to deal with more than 60 separate system failures.

But as you'll see on Sunday night, a lot of things also went right, thanks largely to the man at the controls.

Only his cool head and keen instincts got that plane down safely. And when you hear the full story, you'll be amazed at how he did it.

With an introduction like that, you can see why Qantas are keen to put the story on the back-burner.

Right now, the best thing for our EA negotiations is a story like this out in the public domain - instead of bullsh1t spin from Ms. Wirthless about the supposed 26% increase wage claim.

Angle of Attack
12th Feb 2011, 07:29
This is getting better by the minute, Joyce is so out of his depth it is almost laughable, Worth is not worth much she is a blonde 20's something graduate that is a deer with no eyes, ie NO IDEA!

I think Pear shape is an understatement at the moment within QF management and I am LOVING it, can't wait for the next ditherings they offer..:ok:

hotnhigh
12th Feb 2011, 07:33
Anyone know if Liam Bartlett is running the story?

cynphil
12th Feb 2011, 07:56
Don't forget the Fair Work Hearings going on, where the CEO of Jetconnect has admitted that the 67 million dollar dividend paid by Jetconnect to Qantas didn't really exist...it was a paper profit...cooking the books to make Jetconnect look good!.....but against the law when it comes to the ASX...someone should go to the big house over this!!! AJ could volunteer!

Ned Parsnip
12th Feb 2011, 08:06
I think we all know that most CEO's are not conversant with what actually goes on in the cockpit

It was not always thus Old Fella as you may well know. Particularly at Qantas there were several with serious hands-on experience.

Stalins ugly Brother
12th Feb 2011, 08:08
HotnHigh,
karl Stefanovic is doing the story.

CynPhil,
I believe the ATO have started investigations into AJ and the going ons at Jetconnect as we speak (post!).

Stay tuned.

Fris B. Fairing
12th Feb 2011, 08:10
there were several with serious hands-on experience

and they were gentlemen and they could also speak properly.

Rgds

airtags
12th Feb 2011, 09:00
Stefanovic fronting the story - Liam is still on the bad boys list after slagging Q in the Sunday papers a while back.
Story shot in Changi mid Jan with overlay vision shot in the hanger in Sydney the following week plus the hours of vision & grabs from the incident.....oh and the odd stray de-indentified QF email.

Story is (semi) re-creation as per the 60 minutes formula - minus Olivia's mindless uninformed meanderings and the poor family on Batam Island that got a new dunny out of the deal when a bit of OQA took out their old one and most of the house attached to it.

It will make good tv but it won't shift the public sentiment about QF & AJ's overt failures. It also does not chnage the fact that RR knew, did nothing and then lied.

Also remember, Richard was Q's ultimate media defence card - Q held back on the interview until it could leverage the right story at the right time.............I think the Sunday night before the CEO comes clean on the half year finances and says he's totally buggered the airline is definately the right time.

Despite all this I'm sure by Monday things will return to the norm with Pilots portrayed as aviation's black angels, Engineers as the blue collar whingers and CC as the mindless puppies....those stories and more.......cue the stopwatch

AT :E

Any truth to the rumour things got a little 'hot and sweaty under the collar' at one stage while filming in Changi.......

hotnhigh
12th Feb 2011, 09:16
Thanks airtags. Did read his piece, that's why i was wondering. Hopefully he can do the follow up for the 'unfolding drama'.

Capetonian
12th Feb 2011, 09:44
Does anyone know if this is broadcast on any of the (UK) Sky channels? I can't find it but that doesn't mean it's not there.

Fliegenmong
12th Feb 2011, 11:38
CAPE....most likely not worth watching mate...gave up on 60 Mins 20 years ago, watch whatever crap and bull**** they 'report' on in two weeks time, and then consider the integrity of reporting on this incident....channel 9, lots of big ticket arrangements with the rat....channel 9 not going to change that, and neither will Pollies on full service commutes to work.........a bit of home grown protectionism if ever there was

Zapatas Blood
12th Feb 2011, 23:04
What makes qf full of some of most experienced pilots in the world? Do they log more hours counting waves than ....ba guys do. Or cx?

12th Feb 2011, 23:48
Quite simple Zapatas.
It take so bloody long to get a promotion in Qantas you need to have flown with the Wright bros to get an A380 command

sierra5913
13th Feb 2011, 00:58
....channel 9, lots of big ticket arrangements with the rat....channel 9 not going to change that, and neither will Pollies on full service commutes to work.........a bit of home grown protectionism if ever there was

yes, but not only Channel 9. Print, TV, Radio actually all Aussie media.

Too many freebees and business class upgrades at risk. :}

What would the wife say if the next trip to blighty is in cattle class? :}:ouch:

I wonder if Cineflix will do a Air Accident Investigation Episode on it?

ALAEA Fed Sec
13th Feb 2011, 01:53
I won't be watching this episode. It will speak highly of the QF pilots which I think goes without saying. The rest will be essentially one big ad for Qantas and its fantastic maintenance programme (that has been decimated) and how it was not their fault.

FoxtrotAlpha18
13th Feb 2011, 02:21
So you've already made up your mind before watching it Steve? Way to maintain a balanced view on things...:suspect:

top-lame
13th Feb 2011, 07:01
No worries Steve, I'll record it, just in case its on CH 2's Media Watch tomorrow night.

ALAEA Fed Sec
13th Feb 2011, 07:16
So you've already made up your mind before watching it Steve?

Yes. I've made up my mind on what to watch. The footy.

sky rocket
13th Feb 2011, 07:40
Everyone who works there knows the truth. No need to see the media's spin on the event.

boeingwest
13th Feb 2011, 07:53
Hmm not much spin, only a little bit.

And they edited Paddy spruiking about how wonderful QF pilots are out. I am not sure why?? :confused::confused::confused:

Qantas 787
13th Feb 2011, 07:59
I thought the story was fairly predictable - praised the captain and the crew, showed the damage of the aircraft.

Steve will be disappointed - no mention of maintainence, Rolls was barely mentioned. It was of course maintainence that caused the engine failed.......:rolleyes:

Capt Kremin
13th Feb 2011, 08:03
Disregarding the insistence from the Company that it was all Rolls Royces fault, industrially this story could not have been better for AIPA even if they had written the script themselves.

airtags
13th Feb 2011, 08:53
As the opener for AJ's week in the spotlight it was a good endorsement for the AIPA case even though the 60 mins story and production was weak.

Sad for 60 Minutes though - such a story only comes around once in a decade. Couldn't help feeling that in the days of Gerald Stone's lead with Martin or Leslie it would have been a bit more analytical and investigative. Would have liked to have seen a few questions thrown at the Orange Emperor.

Anyway - tomorrow will come and we'll be back to being tagged by Q as the ar*eholes of modern aviation and the chocks under the "international division"......(interesting the way things are segmented when the news is going to bad eh!!)

AT :E

teresa green
13th Feb 2011, 09:07
Enjoyed the show, but had the feeling that the rest of QF pilots are numbats compared to this bloke. They are not. (Well, most are not anyway) This comment is not to take away from the brilliant job done by this Skipper and the crew, and as we all know you have to be there to experience the situation. A terrific result, needless to say my airforce mates are taking the credit! Great to see 'overpaid, glorified, bus drivers" getting some well deserved applause.:D

TIMA9X
13th Feb 2011, 09:08
The story is just what the doctor ordered for AIPA. I think on this occasion 60 minutes did a good job. It will make it harder for Wirth's department to stretch the truth before the big day, the quarterly report.

1a sound asleep
13th Feb 2011, 09:26
And Nancy still sits and waits in her dressing gown

Some:sad: re-skinning to on the fuselage too...... before the undertakers comes

Keg
13th Feb 2011, 10:26
Great to see Hicksy's lanyard! :ok:

QFBUSBOY
13th Feb 2011, 13:48
Certainly well positioned.....lol

And lucky the skipper is good at what he does,cause his acting was pretty awful.

At the end of the day,we expect all QF pilots to do and react in a similar manner.

Thats not taking anything away from their great effort,its just the truth.:ok:

TIMA9X
13th Feb 2011, 14:36
Thats not taking anything away from their great effortThe value of good pilots at Q. :ok:
MYh4vWd9UEw

flyingfox
13th Feb 2011, 16:28
Unless management at QF takes up the challenge of fixing the Qantas image by returning to a 'quality first' product then the slide will continue. Once the quality image returns, selling it hard on that basis to travellers is paramount. I'm sure a premium airline will attract travellers willing to pay a little extra for ultra safety, especially with business and bureaucrat customers. Trying to compete with cross subsidised and low cost carriers is to join the race to the bottom. Lobbying government to stop predatory overseas operators gaining free reign in the market is important in preserving Australian standards. Otherwise the price of a ticket will be the only consideration for travellers. Quality and marketing that quality should be the Qantas forte. Unfortunately poor management and bean counters have made it appear extremely ordinary to the public eye. Unhappy staff just adds to the 'ordinaryness', especially where it counts in the cabin where the customers are. Selling the message of 'great crews' is important; but in itself not enough. Keep kicking management arse! They truly deserve it. Where's that GD.....

caneworm
13th Feb 2011, 20:29
As the opener for AJ's week in the spotlight it was a good endorsement for the AIPA case even though the 60 mins story and production was weak.

Agreed, the story was on the weak side, but then again pitched at the demographic for the timeslot. In any case, well done to those involved.

Everyone wants a good pilot to fly their aircraft, but no one wants to pay them for it.

Capt Claret
13th Feb 2011, 20:40
I admire the crew for what they did, and hope if faced with a similarly complex event that I will acquit myself as well as they did.

But are they heroes? No, they were doing their jobs. And was the Captain the ONLY one who could have done so? I doubt it.

I found the stroy cliched & cringe-worthy.

Jack Ranga
13th Feb 2011, 21:23
Everyone wants a good pilot to fly their aircraft, but no one wants to pay them for it.

Mate, I for one have repeatedly said that I'm willing to pay for quality at the pointy end. There is a market segment that looks at how much they pay for a product and how much it will cost to replace an inferior product if it's not up to scratch.

How big that segment is? Don't know.

But are they heroes? No, they were doing their jobs. And was the Captain the ONLY one who could have done so? I doubt it.

Exactly right, the remuneration is reward for all the time that chap (and the rest of you) put into knowing that aircraft back to front, the sims and recurrent training etc. You don't get paid for the 364 days of the year that nothing goes wrong, you get paid for that one day. I'm happy to fork out for that one day because one day I or my family may be on that aircraft.

As for the management of the airline, they have proven they are complete morons by declaring war on their employees BEFORE that story went to air. Fools.

sierra5913
13th Feb 2011, 21:27
...Lobbying government to stop predatory overseas operators gaining free reign in the market is important in preserving Australian standards...

No chance in hell.

The public shouldn't pay for inefficiencies. Competition should lift performance, not provide an excuse.

mcgrath50
13th Feb 2011, 21:49
Couldn't agree more Jack Ranga, I know my parents and their baby boomer friends are more than happy to pay a premium for a quality, safe, australian service. I'm sure there are plenty like them, yet somehow J* is the only way forward?

nojwod
13th Feb 2011, 23:29
If that sorry excuse for journalism wasn't paid for by Rolls Royce with the support of Qantas, then I'm a fully qualified A380 driver currently training for a Virgin Galactic job.

Hold_Short
13th Feb 2011, 23:56
The experience that was on QF32 at the time of the incident was nothing but extrodinary! That is why passengers pay 'a little more' on Qantas because they know the quality of the flight crew has always been delicately chosen, trained exceptionally well and paid accordingly for it.

Captain Richard de Crespigny was a perfect example of what professionalism Qantas has behind the wheel of their aircraft... that type of experience you can't put a price on.

I will always pay more to fly Qantas, because you always get what you pay for!

Mr. Hat
14th Feb 2011, 00:47
The 60 minutes of the 80's is long gone.

The Investigators and Four Corners were brilliant in that era as well.

teresa green
14th Feb 2011, 01:04
Have to say admired his choice in boats. It certainly puts the Greens family floating gin palace to shame (aptly nicknamed the Mongrel), but wondered if he would have been better off floating around in a battered tinnie, if he had to go floating at all, what with pay rise in question...........

caneworm
14th Feb 2011, 01:09

Jack & mcgrath,
I was actually having a shot at airline management, not pax :ok:

Towering Q
14th Feb 2011, 03:17
I thought the Captain/s and crew came across well.

It would have been a much better segment if Stefanovic was edited out completely. He really was quite nauseating.:yuk:

Ushuaia
14th Feb 2011, 04:53
"I am so proud of everyone and all the teams that helped that day. I was proud to be in command of that aircraft." - Captain Richard de Crespigny, QF32.

Yes. Precisely right. Precisely the pride and professionalism that Alan Joyce is trying to destroy and what we are trying to save.

Jack Ranga
14th Feb 2011, 05:54
Jack & mcgrath,
I was actually having a shot at airline management, not pax

Caneworm, no wuckers, I wasn't having a crack either :ok:

I hope that the pilots and engineers and cc etc, etc can save this airline in the way that they did when that mongrel Dixon tried to sell the airline knowing that it's assets would be stripped.

top-lame
14th Feb 2011, 06:12
Can't help wondering if Richard had landed straight away, like 1 hour earlier. With all that extra fuel (weight) on-board, would the aircraft have ended up on the green grass at the end of the strip.? If so, another feather in the cap for delaying the landing.!!
Any expert comments.??

blow.n.gasket
14th Feb 2011, 06:17
I've had a lot of "tradies" around lately do work for me.
A vox populi of sorts is instigated.
Conversation gets steered around to Qantas and what they think.
Invariably the response is chillingly identical.
All are proud Aussies.
All have only ever supported Qantas.
Most travelled at least once a year for holidays.
Since all of Qantas' "incidents" ,no longer willing to risk the family.
Jingoism loses out, and Singair,Emirates,Etihad(insert another airline name here) wins out.
Unsolicited response from every tradie thus far is that Jetstar are sh*t!

Joyce is so out of his depth it's not funny any longer.
Then again I suppose it's not hard to get out of ones depth when one is so short .:E

PPRuNeUser0198
14th Feb 2011, 07:52
and Singair,Emirates,Etihad(insert another airline name here) wins out.

Maybe he needs to be reminded of the SQ crash in Taipei that 'killed people" or the EK near-fatal accident in Melbourne etc...

Unsolicited response from every tradie thus far is that Jetstar are sh*t!

Yet I bet he will still fly them when it comes down to price...Passenger numbers continue to grow, particularly in a market that is outstripping demand...Bottom line = price driven...

parabellum
14th Feb 2011, 10:58
Maybe he needs to be reminded of the SQ crash in Taipei that 'killed people" or the EK near-fatal accident in Melbourne etc...

Not mention the lucky escape for the QF at BKK and it's excursion onto the golf course that was also 'near-fatal'.

DERG
15th Feb 2011, 09:29
"Joyce is so out of his depth it's not funny any longer."

I thought the same. Why did they hire him?

Morrissey
15th Feb 2011, 22:57
Four Corners will be bringing you the story of QF32 as well

Capn Bloggs
16th Feb 2011, 02:15
That was a good show. :D

DERG
18th Feb 2011, 07:29
Seems to me the staff are NOT the reason the Oz press always kicks QF in the goolies...plainly a management issue. And by that I mean in the board room.

stubby jumbo
18th Feb 2011, 22:33
....'heard that the 4 Corners doco is sched for the 7 or 14 March.

It will not have the pap from some light weight journo like Karl. Apparently it asks some tough questions......back to the Darth era ????

Lets hope with no commercial conflict of interest pending with the ABC-they give an objective account of what is REALLY going on at Coward St.

Hopefully-they will interview the Chairman.

Can't wait.:}:}

abc1
21st Feb 2011, 00:39
T-VASIS

lets not get away from topic but your retort shows how little you actually know which is more than often the case with the misinformed.
Now days such occurrences are explained by better understanding human cognition, and its limitations,( management or you are clearly immune from it)which occasionally gets the better of most especially when pushed operationally.

But its easy to pass on uninformed judgements such as yours when you clearly fly something no other than a rocking chair!
Just to fuel your arrogance, give an aussie a cav not ok day and watch him sweat but that can be another topic for another day.

To the crew of Q32 kudos for such an exemplary and consummate outcome!

Homesick-Angel
21st Feb 2011, 10:45
Karl Stefanawhateverhisface is a knob..Always has been

Apart from that, its quite an interesting story and the pilot is like a character out of "Fate is the hunter" which is not a bad thing..

Good Job from the entire crew :D

blow.n.gasket
22nd Feb 2011, 05:24
Anyone see the SBS program on Sunday about BP's woes?
One could have substituted Qantas with BP and not be any the wiser.

T-Vasis, all the tradies said categorically , "Jetstar are absolutely positively the airline of last choice". They'd rather travel Tiger than Jetstar because Tiger at least doesn't pretend to be anything else but cheap and nasty! you at least know what you are getting with them.:ooh: