PDA

View Full Version : RAAF PC-9s grounded

Slezy9
10th Feb 2011, 21:14
Roulettes grounded as airshow draws near (http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/roulettes-grounded-as-airshow-draws-near-20110211-1aoyi.html)

All operations of the RAAF's premier aerial display team, the Roulettes, have been suspended after the engine of a training plane caught fire this week.

With the Australian International Airshow at Avalon just three weeks away, Defence has halted all PC9/A flight operations following the mishap.

The ABC reported yesterday that the planes would be grounded until an investigation was completed into the fire, which hit the aircraft in Western Australia early this week.

Advertisement: Story continues below The ABC said the engine of a PC-9 training plane caught fire at RAAF Base Pearce, north of Perth, leading to the Air Force banning its pilots from flying the planes until the cause of the fire was known.

The Air Force was working with the engine manufacturer to establish what sparked the fire.

The Roulettes were set to be one of the attractions at Avalon, where the RAAF will also celebrate its 90th birthday.

However, the Defence Department last month put a stop to aerial displays at the Australian Grand Prix by the Roulettes and F/A-18 fighter jets. RAAF will instead send a balloon to the grand prix

Well this should help recruiting. I can just imagine little Johnny watching the baloon and wanting in!

layman
11th Feb 2011, 04:31
No inside knowledge here, but with the PT6A-62 having been in use for many years, in many aircraft, I'd be surprised (although often am ...) if the cause of the 'fire' isn't identified fairly quickly, with an equally quick solution.

Hopefully this will mean a quick return to the air so that 'little Johny" (and Juliette?) are able to be suitably impressed by the Roulettes

aus111c
11th Feb 2011, 04:40
the balloon? at an F1 Grand Prix????

:confused::confused::confused:

Arm out the window
11th Feb 2011, 04:49
Launch the Parrot display team instead!

Captain Sand Dune
11th Feb 2011, 07:32
Wouldn't want to over-shadow the car race now, would we?!:E

Buster Hyman
11th Feb 2011, 09:40
Making my first trip to the Airshow for around 10 years & no Roulettes!!!! :sad:

I certainly hope this is sorted soon...