PDA

View Full Version : Chief of the Air Staff PVRs?

BluntM8
9th Feb 2011, 22:31
Cutting around the tri service educational unit for the gifted today, I heard a tall tale that CAS has PVR'd. While I would never ask anyone in the know (or otherwise) the verify such a rumor, does anyone have an opinion on the likely impact on our service if such an event were to be true?

minigundiplomat
9th Feb 2011, 22:48
Trying to beat the rush?

RumPunch
9th Feb 2011, 22:52
Who cares , there will be a thousand monkeys that will be in line to take his perch, nothing changes

Ogre
10th Feb 2011, 00:47
Tell him it's an 18 month waiting list, no exceptions due to the size of the current CAS manning.

But if he comes up with a firm job offer in writing he might be able to get out after 12 months!

Once had an argument about manning levels with a senior officer, who said the particular group I was in were "too small to make a seperate trade group". When asked 10 minutes later what the smallest trade group in the RAF was he said "Court recorder, there are only 6 of them". Kind of shot his own argument down

newt
10th Feb 2011, 08:16
Will he be grounded until he is released?:ok:

Biggus
10th Feb 2011, 08:20
He must still be on AFPS75...

philrigger
10th Feb 2011, 09:06
;)

he said "Court recorder, there are only 6 of them

I thought Court recorder was a trade qualification within TG17.

Am I mistaken?

Finningley Boy
10th Feb 2011, 09:09
If Stephen has offered his resignation I'm sure it'd be breaking news on the BBC News Channel right now! But it aint.

FB:)

NUFC1892
10th Feb 2011, 09:12
I thought Court recorder was a trade qualification within TG17.

Am I mistaken?

It did used to be a stand-alone trade, probably been out-sourced now. I remember some years ago reading about the youngest WO in the RAF, she was a CR and about 30 years old!:D

cazatou
10th Feb 2011, 09:22
What is a Cheif?

Finningley Boy
10th Feb 2011, 09:23
The first to PVR was Trenchard-he didn't get on with the minister-apparently. Nothing really changes!

Actually, my dear Lunchbox, Trenchard did resign as CAS before the post actualy became effective, he stayed on until about a week or so in from 1st April just to keep up appearances, just. He then went on to be head of the Indepenedent Air Force in France. Before returning 11 months later to become the longest serving CAS.:ok:

Red Line Entry
10th Feb 2011, 09:24
Caz,

It's the man in chrage, of course! (especially of an Indepenedent Air Force)

TorqueOfTheDevil
10th Feb 2011, 09:31
Cheif of the Air Staff PVRs?

Is that Chief or Chef?:p

off watch
10th Feb 2011, 09:38
Cheif of the Air Staff PVRs?

The R.A.F. is an Equal Opportunities employer, therefore dyslexia is no bar to achieving * Rank :E

cheifofdefence
10th Feb 2011, 10:06
I can categorically state that CAS has not PVR'd. I can also deny any rumours that he is denying rumours regarding the rumours surrounding his current position.

extpwron
10th Feb 2011, 10:06
Maybe he’s had a job offer from Soteria?

Finningley Boy
10th Feb 2011, 10:30
I can categorically state that CAS has not PVR'd. I can also deny any rumours that he is denying rumours regarding the rumours surrounding his current position.

How would you know?!:E

Chugalug2
10th Feb 2011, 10:55
FB, because he's The Cheif of Defence, that's how. Who else would the Cheif of the Air Staff submit a PVR to, if it wasn't the Cheif of Defence? Do try to keep up, old chap!

Finningley Boy
10th Feb 2011, 11:26
FB, because he's The Cheif of Defence, that's how. Who else would the Cheif of the Air Staff submit a PVR to, if it wasn't the Cheif of Defence? Do try to keep up, old chap!

Hmm, I know this'll mark me out as a nosey bugger. But The Cheif's D.O.B. says 27th December 1952. Wikilies has it down as 4th March 1952!

If its the same Sir David Richards that is.:ok:

Anyway, all hail to the Cheif!;)

cazatou
10th Feb 2011, 11:43
FB

Do you think he might be the "Chef of the Air Staff"?

After all, the current state of affairs does seem to resemble "A Dogs Breakfast".

Finningley Boy
10th Feb 2011, 12:34
No, because he was born in 1954.:ok:

And furthermore, I've just missed your intended pun!!!!:uhoh:

jindabyne
10th Feb 2011, 20:00
Silly little boys. This place used to be so much better

newt
10th Feb 2011, 21:14
First you call me a wonker and then a silly little boy!! My word you are having a bad day Jindy!!:D

monkeymanagement
10th Feb 2011, 23:59
It could be a JPAism! "Click OK to submit your expenses claim" - "Thank you for your irreversible PVR".

Walrus75
11th Feb 2011, 02:00
It could be a JPAism! "Click OK to submit your expenses claim" - "Thank you for your irreversible PVR".

LMFSO over that, thank you. :ok:

muttywhitedog
11th Feb 2011, 05:39
Ah, but a PVR still has to go through the individual's Line Manager. I'm wondering if he has pressed the eject button and is now wondering why his boss hasnt interviewed him and forwarded it via workflow to a blunty officer for processing!

I havent seen FOX, LIAM on JPA. Maybe he's still waiting for his Login ID & Password from JPAC - after all he's only been in the mob since 6 May!!!

Old-Duffer
11th Feb 2011, 09:34
............ if he did quit, would the post be gapped?

Finningley Boy
11th Feb 2011, 10:07
The post won't be gapped, instead, 3 new Air Chief Marshal appointments will be created to replace the old-fashioned CAS one.:E

PPRuNe Pop
11th Feb 2011, 10:17
i before e except after c :E I have changed it now. :ok:

cazatou
11th Feb 2011, 10:26
FB

You have probably hit the nail on the head. Each new 4 star will require a 3 star Deputy as well as a 2 star SASO assisted by a 1 star Deputy. These will, of course, each need Office Staff as well as a Staff Car and Driver.

Finningley Boy
11th Feb 2011, 11:59
Cazatou,

Indeed, the Armed Forces are actually expanding!:ok:
Well in certain areas that is!?:confused:

But we may need to sacrifice some front end usage (to use an expression) in order to pay for it all.:uhoh:

MaroonMan4
12th Feb 2011, 08:58
I heard the rumours this week that both CAS and ACAS were in a spot of trouble on the 5th floor-allegedly being held to account for being too single service orientated.

Hopefully this is either a case of rumour mongering or eventually our airships have actually decided to display some moral courage and tell the treasury the true implications of what they are trying to do.

Of course there will be some lack lustre selfish career 'yes man' to fill their shoes, but either CAS has genuinely been caught out by all this inter service negative bickering and politics (Trenchard 100 is now in the public domain) or he is making a stand for what he believes to be right in principle, for both Queen and country, and of course the Royal Air Force.

I am sure that the coming weeks and months will tell all

4fitter
12th Feb 2011, 09:16
The CAS I had drinks with a few weeks ago was bullish, appropriate and very well briefed. My career is now stalled so no agendas here but I have confidence that that the SH/AT grown ups are making the appropriate noises.

Capt P U G Wash
12th Feb 2011, 10:07
Why, because there the future of the Independent force lies?
You need to read your history.

Capt P U G Wash
12th Feb 2011, 10:26
Last time I looked CAS was the head of the RAF, perhaps the title Chief of the Air Staff deserves more consideration….

If he was Chief of the Air Staff in the purest sense he would be relied upon to provide Defence wide advice on the air environment. As it is, everyone has a view on air matters - I do not think the reverse is true. They are either whingeing about it not getting them somewhere quickly enough or saying that it diverts precious funds from their own toys.

And so this has nothing to do with 100 year experiments or seniority, it is because we all think we are air experts.

The definition of Joint is 2 or more services operating together. If we got on with that (as we do in the desert today) and limited the overlaps perhaps we might have a bit less RAF and CAS bashing.

CAS is an intelligent man and, whilst we all feel very frustrated at the level of cuts we are going to have to endure, he will fight to defend the air power message. If that is seen by some as being too single Service orientated this Country owes him a vote of thanks. There are parallels back to the 1930’s when only a few men stood up to the views of others – where would we be now if they had backed away?

If this mess was left to other single service agendas we would be a shadow of our former selves and our Defence capability would be toothless, out of balance and useless.

Maybe that is someone’s plan?

Old-Duffer
12th Feb 2011, 10:40
Captain P U G Wash - I hereby promote you to the acting unpaid (it's Defence cost saving you know) rank of Major :D :ok:

Capt P U G Wash
12th Feb 2011, 10:54
From Capt (Maritme) to Major - thank you! Although in the current state we are in I will take it.

Old-Duffer
12th Feb 2011, 12:56
The promotion board has reconvened and it's now Commodore Wash but still acting unpaid, I'm afraid.

O-D : in sack cloth and ashes following significant gaff!!

jindabyne
14th Feb 2011, 10:57
Hey Newt, I didn't call you a wonker, but on reflection ------