PDA

View Full Version : % of No Shows?

Helol
9th Feb 2011, 19:31
Not sure if posted in right forum, but quick question.

What is the approx percentage of no shows on a flight? I ask because I checked in online this evening for a CX LHR-HKG tomorrow, and was allocated two crappy seats in the middle (one aisle, one next to it) at the rear.

There were only a few seats scattered here and there that were available for me to request as a seat amendment.

Is the seat availability (in cattle class) dependant on ticket type? (I don't mind sitting in the rear, but usually manage to get the pair of seats A-C or H-K at either side at the rear).

Hartington
9th Feb 2011, 19:48
It depends on all sorts of things. Yes, some airlines "discriminate" in terms of which fare levels get to choose which seats and when. But, if you have an airline that doesn't discriminate it may have some rules that it tries to apply when it is allocating seats (like keeping families together and putting babies by bassinette positions and there can be quite a lot of such rules). On a full flight that can mean there are very few open positions at check in. I've even been faced with a situation where I was told - this is your seat, you can't change it.

As for the percentage of no shows it varies enormously. If all (unlikely but no impossible) the passengers are travelling on tickets that can be changed and refunded with no penalty the rate then the no show rate could be very high. There are all sorts of variables; business vs tourist passenger types (not fares), days of the week, time of day, fare paid.

PAXboy
10th Feb 2011, 01:23
Hi, Helol. This is the right forum for such questions. Unfortunately, as Hartington says there are many, many answer to that question and they will be changing by the hour! Arrive early and see if you can change seat allocation, although this may mean another queue, it depends on the people at Bag Drop.

L'aviateur
10th Feb 2011, 03:54
As has been said, whats shown on Online Check In isn't always a true indication of what is actually available, as certain seats and areas can be completely blocked out, yet your board the aircraft and find numerous empty seats. Some airlines are worse then others. CX is also one of the few airlines, like BA, who allow holding of seats without payment upto departure (for certain travel agents and ticket types), and for instance in my situation I have occasionally held multiple bookings with a seats allocation on seperate days as I've not know how my schedule would change, so this and flexible tickets are the cause of many no shows.

To be fair in recent months, I've used the LHR-HKG route a few times and have never seen it anywhere near full.

SloppyJoe
10th Feb 2011, 04:49
Probably wont read this before you go but all 4 of our flights today 10th are showing quite a bit of availability in economy from LHR. The busiest is CX254 but that still shows 30+ seats left available. My advice would be to get there early and I expect they will be able to offer you something better. At CX there is no restriction on ticket type and choosing seats online. We do put babies by the cot positions though.

Helol
10th Feb 2011, 07:12
Sloppy - Yep, 254 is our flight.

Many thanks for the helpful replies, much appreciated.