PDA

View Full Version : Nose U/C failure on Air Nelson Flight

merv32249213
9th Feb 2011, 06:36
A Video of an Air Nelson NZ Q300 a/c is now showing on TVNZ, landing with nosewheel stuck up ,nice job by pilot.
The flight was from Hamilton to Wellington and diverted to Woodbourne, Blenheim.

Snowyflier
9th Feb 2011, 08:20
Actually the flight was a scheduled service from Hamilton to Wellington. The flight diverted to Woodbourne Airport in Blenheim.

Bumpy Ride -Yahoo!Xtra News Video (http://nz.news.yahoo.com/video/watch/24126243/)

Link for TV coverage.

Super VC-10
9th Feb 2011, 08:49
Reported at Aviation Herald - Accident: Air Nelson DH8C at Wellington and Blenheim on Feb 9th 2011, nose gear did not lower (http://avherald.com/h?article=4378b500&opt=1)

Is there a link to the video?

bobusse
9th Feb 2011, 10:01
Just "google" TVNZ

cwatters
9th Feb 2011, 15:38
If links above don't work there is also video also here (might be 15 second advert first)..

Investigation launched after emergency landing - National - Video - 3 News (http://www.3news.co.nz/Investigation-launched-after-emergency-landing/tabid/309/articleID/197793/Default.aspx)

UC doors were down and seem to hold up well so perhaps not much damage.

Passenger.. "A lot smoother than most other times I've landed in Wellington"

ManaAdaSystem
9th Feb 2011, 19:23
A Bombardier Dash with landing gear problem? Where have I heard this before?

jcjeant
9th Feb 2011, 20:33
Hi,

A Bombardier Dash with landing gear problem? Where have I heard this before?Why they don't transform it as "fixed landing gear" ? ... problem solved :)

kaikohe76
9th Feb 2011, 20:55
I'm still waiting for the TV & News media to use the words such as `High Drama`, Near to Death Event`, All Survived by the Skin of Their teeth etc`.

However, this was just an unforunate aviation incident, that was very well handled indeed by the Captain, his Crew, the Pax & attending Emergency & Ground Crews. Another day at the office conducted in a calm, professional manner with no drama, well done all involved.

SLFguy
9th Feb 2011, 21:22
Sigh at the "another day at the office" comment

ExSp33db1rd
9th Feb 2011, 22:01
Gosh !!! another CRASH landing narrowly missing schools, hospitals, kindergartens as a result of the brave actions of the heroic pilot ( singular )

Not a situation I would wish to be involved in, from choice, but well handled.

Surprising lack of sparks from the nose wheel doors ? Nose wheel just visible, so maybe it actually touched first ?

JohnMcGhie
10th Feb 2011, 00:28
I don't understand? Wellington is a full international airport with all the expected safety and fire services.

When I did my boot-camp training at Woodbourne in 1965, it was barely more than a grass strip. It's further from Hamilton than the destination, across a stormy strip of sea.

Would this be because the destination was Rongotai airport, which had a nasty approach conducted inside a volcanic crater to a nasty short runway with a big splash into the sea for an overrun at either end?

twochai
10th Feb 2011, 00:48
Surprising lack of sparks from the nose wheel doors ? Nose wheel just visible, so maybe it actually touched first ?

They are a Kevlar composite material, IIRC. It doesn`t spark easily.

henry crun
10th Feb 2011, 00:54
JohnMcGhie: You ask why would they divert ? how about this for a good reason.

Wellington is the capital's only airfield, and has a single runway.
Land on that without a nosewheel and it will cause major disruption, diverting many aircraft until the Air Nelson aircraft is removed.
Land on Woodbourne runway and cause relatively little disruption.

Jimmah
10th Feb 2011, 02:45
JohnMcGHie, henry is correct on this one, most of NZ's domestic fleet runs through NZWN at some stage during the day. Putting its runway out of action for half a day would cause a significant disruption to the entire domestic network (plus some trans-tasman services). NZWB, being a part-military airfield had more than adequate emergency services for a Dash and mainly services Beech 1900's.

Also, I doubt Wellington's geography had anything to do with the decision to divert, last I checked the harbour wasn't a volcano, and the runway is almost 400m longer than Woodbourne's. Sure, if you overrun you might go for a swim, but some people pay good money to swim with dolphins (which were present in Lyall Bay that day!).

I'm convinced that Woodbourne, as the field of choice for wheel(s) up landings should invest in some kind of padded flying circus vehicle that travels along the runway allowing crews to land their aircraft or parts thereof on it sans damage.

RevMan2
10th Feb 2011, 06:29
I'm still waiting for the TV & News media to use the words such as `High Drama`, Near to Death Event`, All Survived by the Skin of Their teeth etc`.

The NZ Herald gets close.....

"A passenger aboard an Air New Zealand aircraft described how a stewardess screamed "head down, stay down" as the plane lurched into an emergency landing.

Passenger Gary Evans said the atmosphere on the plane changed suddenly from one of calm to high tension.

"It was just a bit shocking when all of a sudden it went from all so calm, then all of a sudden [the stewardess] started screaming 'head down, stay down'," Mr Evans said."

"Once over Blenheim, the passengers were told they would have to go in and land[sic]. They were told to follow the instructions of the stewardess "who was handling the whole situation on her own".

remoak
10th Feb 2011, 23:11
JohnMcGhie

1. Woodbourne also has the expected emergency services.
2. Woodbourne now has a nice, long, sealed runway (grass is still there).
3. The sea that day was basically a millpond.
4. Wellington has standard ILS approaches both ends... just like any other ILS approach really.
5. Wellington is not, and has never been, a volcanic crater.
6. The runway is neither nasty or short (for a Dash). In fact, on the same day, Air NZ landed a 777-300ER on that runway.

pelicancrew3
11th Feb 2011, 11:04
The other reason why they may have diverted to Woodbourne, is that Safe Air have their head quarters there. Quite a big company, and tests and repairs could be undertaken there if necessary.

RHINO
15th Feb 2011, 15:18
really pleased the cabin crew member shouted her instructions. Well done her. Did they want it whispering... Crashing etc can be noisy!!

RadioSaigon
15th Feb 2011, 21:34
Crashing etc can be noisy!!

PML :ok::}

fmgc
15th Feb 2011, 21:54
The sarcastic press impressions are now getting as annoying as the press themselves.

Can we, one day, have a thread that just discusses the issues!

Rigger92
17th Feb 2011, 07:30
ManaAdaSystem

The Dash8 UC issue was pretty much specific to an individual airline and attributed (discussed on this forum) to poor maintenance.

Nice hold off to nose down. Three cheers to the crew... :D

Bongo Bus Driver
18th Feb 2011, 03:16
I think you will find that UC issues are specific to the TYPE not the airline. As for maintenance the aircraft are maintained and definitely operated to the manufacturers specifications. Lets just wait for the TAIC reports before pointing fingers Rigger