PDA

View Full Version : Duration Initial Type G550

Speedy604
7th Feb 2011, 16:55
Hello,

can anybody out there give me some informations about duration of an initial course for the g550? JAA ATP...

Thank you

speedy

mutt
7th Feb 2011, 17:55
FAA is about 10 days ground school 8 days sim with days off in the middle..... so about 24 days..... hope you have a sympathetic bank manager....

Mutt

rawmilk
8th Feb 2011, 10:13
Anyone have the lowest cost of G550 initial out there right now?

Thanks
RM

Fletner007
8th Feb 2011, 13:04
I have asked for an estimate on BD700, I think it's the same price for a G550; it's around 50K$ or so, with accommodation and transportation.

Speedy604
8th Feb 2011, 14:04
hi,

the price for the bd700 initial is round about 53500usd, plus 4 or 5 weeks hotel plus airline tickets....
plus t&gīs (depends on licence)...

would say 60k euro until you have it in your licence....

best regards

speedy

G-V
11th Feb 2011, 11:32
Duration 3 weeks. You might be able to get it arround 40000 if you are a private person and can negotiate well.
Simuflite in Dallas would be your best call: GV initial and than 550 diffs.

G550 initial would cost more than that.

Good luck!

Fletner007
11th Feb 2011, 12:41
Hi, it's the price that they have given with CAE at Dubai.

rawmilk
12th Feb 2011, 21:12
if you go with PSB (PSB Business & Commercial Pilot Discount Aviation Simulator Training (http://www.pilotsimbrokers.com/)), GV type price for 2011 is around 27K in USD + 3K in USD for 550 differences. someone would be crazy to pay 60,000 Euro for a G550 type in this climate. another broker I checked into for a straight 550 type was 37K in USD out of NJ.

Rusty Trombone
13th Feb 2011, 22:47
Between 32 and 42 is the current Rate but after all its a Gulfstream not the space shuttle?
I know someone whom has just done a BBJ initial for 9.5K in the USA.

Its very expensive for the GV or BD700 and they know they can get away with those prices etc.

FrankR
14th Feb 2011, 04:33
There are significant differences between the GV and G550 cockpit, just as with a CL604 and CL605 (I'm typed in all four). There are also many G550 operators who insist on 550 sim training (differences is a classroom only affair). That said, I don't think you will learn the nuances of the 550 vs V in initial. It's the usual 7 sim sessions of steep turns, stalls, etc etc, that don't lend themselves to learning the FMS (MCDU) and all the rest. Also, if you're currently a citation or hawker pilot, the gap between those and a G is rather large. It's hard to think a 550 chief pilot would be inclined to favor such a resume. Then again, pay your money, take your chances. Good luck whatever you decide.

Consider the whole picture when making your decision.

FR

FrankR
14th Feb 2011, 04:36
Speedy, The FAA and JAA program are the same except that the FAA has an oral, and the JAA has a computer exam. The JAA checkride is also easier and more forgiving. The class and sim are the same

mutt
14th Feb 2011, 11:57
hawker pilot, the gap between those and a G is rather large I'm curious about this, why do you think that the gap is so challenging?

I cant fathom the cost of biz jet type ratings, they certainly do not reflect the level of training investment as against that required for an airliner, is it just a case that due to limit training centers and lack of competition, they charge these rates "because they can?"....

Mutt

FlyTCI
14th Feb 2011, 15:01
mutt, it's more about the training providers knowing that someone who can afford a Global, 7X or G550 can handle (or at least should be able to) a higher cost of training. A two week course in a Hawker, Citation or Beechjet usually cost in the neighborhood of $15k at CAE, while one of the aforementioned courses last three to four weeks but are definitely more than twice of the cost for those smaller types. The simulators run at the same costs basically, so no difference there.

So yes, they charge those rates because they can..

mutt
19th Feb 2011, 05:15
I'm still curious about the comment about the gap between flying the Hawker and the G. What's so special/unique/weird about the Gulfstream?

Mutt

Oldschoolflyer
19th Feb 2011, 07:15
I have the Citation (Straight/Swept Wing), the Hawker, the GV and the CL604 on my ticket. Got them in that order too. Yes, the GV/604 are much more complicated systems wise, but the cx ride is the same. I would call it natural progression.

The hardest thing about flying a GV, as anyone who has done it would tell you....is staying awake.

Aviopro
29th Apr 2011, 14:29
Think of thousands of Airbus pilots using and supporting an A320 simulator for decades Vs. a hundred pilots using a G550 sim which will be considered "old" technology in just 10 years. I has to do with return on investment. Cheers.

Speedy604
5th May 2011, 19:02
frankr....yes for sure you are right....but the thing is jaa states donīt acept touch and goīs in the sim....even level d sim isnīt approved.
faa does it....
jaa you have to do real landings to get it in your license....faa level d sim is ok...
thatīs so far as i know????

thatīs what i meant the "TOTAL PRICE" until you got it in your license depends jaa or faa....

i think iīm not too far away from 60.000 euros for a g550 initial when caculated all in for a jaa license....

br

FrankR
5th May 2011, 21:43
Hi BR,

Not sure what you are referring to regarding touch and go's. FAA requires landings for currency to be to a full stop (61.57b.1). Does JAA require "real" landings prior to issuance of your rating?

-And Mutt, certainly "an airplane is an airplane", and a guy with experience can transition to anything.

However, even transitioning from a GIV to a G550 requires 100-200 hours of "what the heck is going on" time in the seat. I'm a US based pilot, one of my first questions to an interviewee is "when was the last time you flew from Denver to Paris? - Mid cabin or Citation guys usually don't fly much international. If you add in the additional factors of 14 hour flights, 10 passengers requiring 2-3 meals of really high end catering on a flight etc, you get to a point where mid cabin pilots are rather out of their element, and it's a bit of a stretch to expect to go buy a rating and land a job.

That said, we all started with "0" hours in type, If you think you have an "in" by all means, go for it!

FR

FlyTCI
6th May 2011, 06:51
"Does JAA require "real" landings prior to issuance of your rating?"

Yes, six of them. Not exactly cheap in a GV/550 or equivalent.

Just getting someone to "loan" you their bird for this event is not a piece of cake either, unless you have already been assured a position with the operator in question pending the bounces.